• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Powell Tour from the Air

Dougie

Here are 4 pictures from the air before the dam. Perhaps these are pictures that have not been seen by many.
Except for the mountain, they will not be seen again.

What a place!

a) West Canyon
b) Confluence San Juan and Colorado. Reflection is first canyon on left. Then Hidden Passage. Music Temple on the left.
c) Navajo Mountain from the air. Notice Rainbow Bridge lower right spanning Bridge Canyon.
d) Close-up of Reflection (stream flows from top to bottom of the image)

Attachments

• West Canyon July 1959.jpg
    West Canyon July 1959.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 180
  • San Juan and Reflection July 1959.jpg
    San Juan and Reflection July 1959.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Navajo and Rainbow June 1962.jpg
    Navajo and Rainbow June 1962.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Reflection (Cottonwood Gulch) June 1962.jpg
    Reflection (Cottonwood Gulch) June 1962.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 176

birdsnest

Those photos give me a much better sense of the loss felt by the old river runners when the dam was put in. Beautiful country. Thanks.

davew

I have a question --
I know it is very hard to get a permit to float the Grand Canyon -- but no permit was needed when the dam was built.

my question -- does anyone know how many people actually took advantage of floating the river through glen canyon? Was it a popular float like the grand canyon is today? How long would it take -- Grand Canyon takes weeks to float it-- I am guessing glen canyon would also take weeks. --

Imagine starting in Grand Junction and floating to Lake Mead --- it would take you a month-- or more -- that would be a trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

scubatim

I have a question --
I know it is very hard to get a permit to float the Grand Canyon -- but no permit was needed when the dam was built.

my question -- does anyone know how many people actually took advantage of floating the river through glen canyon? Was it a popular float like the grand canyon is today? How long would it take -- Grand Canyon takes weeks to float it-- I am guessing glen canyon would also take weeks. --

Imagine starting in Grand Junction and floating to Lake Mead --- it would take you a month-- or more -- that would be a trip.
In 1983 we floated the Grand ( research trip to survey beaches - just prior to the Big Flush!)- Lee's to Diamond Ck - 10 people/ 3 x 16 ft inflatables, 18 days - not in a big hurry!!!! Doing the commercials ( I worked there in the late 60's, early 70's - ya I am OLD!) it was 8 days motorized. Glen was somewhat shorter - not as many big waters - but still a 3-4 week trip thru both -depending on seasonal flows - floating. Motorized = half that. Both Awesome but l am really enjoying L Powell - several times a year - not once every 10-20 years! :LOL: