Powell to Denver ~ Decontamination

Momma Bear 2000

Thank you to Hanksville (Rabbitbrush) Dave for towing our recreational boat from Bullfrog to Denver a few weeks ago.

I wanted to comment on the decontamination issues.

Dave took us through the decon facility at Bullfrog in parking Lot D before we left and it was a very minor inspection tagging and flagging operation. My impression, right or wrong, was that there seems to be an acceptance that quagga mussels are a fact of life.

After our boat arrived in Denver, we had a number of miscellaneous services performed at the dealer/ boat shop. But before we launched here in Denver at Chatfield Reservoir, based on what I had read on Wayne’s Words previously, we went to the main Colorado Parks and Wildlife office to have our boat decontaminated.

The process took six rangers almost 2 hours. They are extremely diligent when a boat is coming from Powell into a Colorado body of water.

Everything in every compartment was taken out and laid on the asphalt and washed with the very hot water. Our ballast tanks were filled with hot water and drained. Every emptied compartment on the boat was gone through with a fine tooth comb and washed with hot water. The Ranger found a grain of sand in our ski compartment and put it in a small water vial and showed it to us saying, “This is a quagga mussel” — looked like a sand grain to us, but he seemed to have no doubts and was sending it into the lab. It was the only contamination that was identified in our boat during that two hours.

I am not in any way complaining, I am only sharing this so that other people have the information as to 1. the care that Colorado is showing to keep quagga mussels out of the lakes here and 2. just as a heads up if you’re bringing a boat back to Colorado from Lake Powell what the process is so that you can go to 6060 Broadway and leave yourself enough time.

I am already missing The Big Lake having been no where else for 15 years and I’m sad our boat is on this side of the divide.

My heart will stay over there with all of you.

🚤 💥 ❤️

John P Funk

Escalante-Class Member
Can you keep it to air out and dry out and cook some more before putting it back near any fresh water lakes or streams?
Colorado doesn't have a "minimum dry time", instead they do thorough inspections/decontamination of any vessel that hasn't been tagged from a "clean" Colorado reservoir. It seems to be working pretty well as I would have expected statewide contamination more than 2 years ago.

viking842000

Huh... Takes me 10 minutes to decon when I come back. But I am anal and my boat is clean as clean can be at all times. No matter where you go outside state lines they will decon your boat by law... but like I said, takes 10 minutes.

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Huh... Takes me 10 minutes to decon when I come back. But I am anal and my boat is clean as clean can be at all times. No matter where you go outside state lines they will decon your boat by law... but like I said, takes 10 minutes.
It all depends on type of boat. 10 minutes is accurate for my fishing boat. My Malibu is around 40, and i take EVERYTHING out of it before I go to decon. But the one time they thought they found a mussel in my sea strainer it was close to 2 hours.

flowerbug

Colorado doesn't have a "minimum dry time", instead they do thorough inspections/decontamination of any vessel that hasn't been tagged from a "clean" Colorado reservoir. It seems to be working pretty well as I would have expected statewide contamination more than 2 years ago.

thank you for that, i was just wondering how complete such a process can be if there are mussels the size of grains of sand which can be almost anywhere. granted they may not be viable for long once out of water, but to be on the safe side a dry period should bake them for sure.