Positive experience with Offshore

JLEE_CME

Hey I think too often only negative experiences get relayed on these forums.
I Just wanted to take a minute and thank offshore for their help in turning around repairs quickly on our houseboat. We had a drive failure and I thought we were going to have several owners miss out on their vacations however Diane at offshore worked with us well to fit in scheduling launch and retrieval around some vacant weeks. Luckily we had a spare from replacing one of our drives the previous season. Of course it sounded like we had a great plan, but once they got in to it they found our transom assembly needed to be replaced as well. They communicated with us well and helped us coordinate the additional work. Overall we were all very happy with the mechanics skills and Tim's help getting the work done as quickly as possible to get us back in the water. They, like everyone are short staffed and I'm sure if they could hire more help they would but they definitely made every effort to do the best they could with their resources. Thanks!

nzaugg

I wish we had a similar report. Our boat was pulled in early June and didn't get looked at for 2 weeks. Once they did, we had a long lead time on parts. After those parts arrived, they also noticed that the transom assembly needed replacement and noticed additional issues with the steering assembly. The transom assembly was looking like it was 2-3 weeks out for arrival, which we were able to drop to 1 week by finding the part and delivering it (it is large and requires an LTL shipment). 8 weeks have been wiped out from our ownership group's summer.

Our week was supposed to be last week so I called down there and initially the call I had was very curt, but I understand that we have had a lot of people calling to get an understanding of what is going on, which is a problem with our group that we need to resolve, but the reason so many are calling is because we have not had adequate communication and there have been significant lags between the time the boat got picked up and the time the mechanics have looked at things. I know they are busy and it is not their fault we have this issue, but it would have been nice to be better informed. I am still trying to figure out if that is an issue resulting from our group or from true lack of communication from Offshore, but we were being told up until the last minute a week and a half ago that the boat would be launching and in time for our trip. We were fortunate to be able to find alternate accommodations in Page at the last minute, but others in the group have felt strung along and I would be far more upset if I weren't able to find something that would have allowed my family to visit the lake. The other problem has been the continuing escalation in the identified issues. I would have though a broken transom would have been noticed as things were disassembled for diagnosis. To be discovering major problems every time the boat is looked at is frustrating.

flowerbug

Our week was supposed to be last week so I called down there and initially the call I had was very curt, but I understand that we have had a lot of people calling to get an understanding of what is going on, which is a problem with our group that we need to resolve, ...

When more than one person gets involved it can really mess up feelings, understandings, communications, etc. I hope it gets straightened out soon!

nzaugg

When more than one person gets involved it can really mess up feelings, understandings, communications, etc. I hope it gets straightened out soon!
That has been my thought as well. Something I think we will need to address in our annual meeting.

At one time I thought Offshore was only doing storage and L&R -- Do they now have mechanics?
They have mechanics again. By all accounts a good mechanic.

JLEE_CME

They have just one mechanic I believe, and he is very knowledgeable. He is also charged with launching and retrieval of boats. Its a remote location and I'm sure its tough to recruit help there. Sorry to hear you've been down so long nzaugg

JLEE_CME

We did handle as much of the leg work as we could tracking down parts and such. We have a good spread geographically of owners and we hotfooted down parts we found remotely ourselves rather then waiting on freight carriers.

nzaugg

Put together a text distribution group among your owners (so one text goes to everyone) and have one person (only) be the point person for offshore then communicate that to the group
The problem is I am not sure we have the right person communicating with any maintenance resources at the moment.

Good news is our boat is finally back on the water after 8 weeks at Offshore. Hopefully the remaining owners will have wonderful and trouble free weeks.

sparkin5280

The problem is I am not sure we have the right person communicating with any maintenance resources at the moment.

Good news is our boat is finally back on the water after 8 weeks at Offshore. Hopefully the remaining owners will have wonderful and trouble free weeks.
I've got to say I love the news I'm hearing about Offshore (or is it North Lale Powell?). We were with Offshore for 20 plus years with good success. Last year's low water in October (offshore wasn't retrieving) and a slow leaking pontoon on the houseboat forced us and many others across the street, I won't mention the name, look it up. The leak should have been a minor repair but they basically forced us to do some other involved modifications that weren't necessarily needed. Our group had to come up with the extra money for this repair, we paid this company $10,000 in February and we still don't have a houseboat on the water. Now with about five or six weeks worth of dropping water levels until houseboat launching ceases on the North End for who knows how many months or even years and we are still not finished. They don't communicate, it's an absolute nightmare. I would do anything to be at Offshore right now. It's like our houseboat is being held hostage. All the while we still pay our buoy fee every month and for the land-based storage. They have single-handedly ruined the vacations for a majority of our group. Stick with Offshore or Executive Services.