Per the National Weather service and the 10 day precip outlook we are in for it next week

Brent

We are headed up to Powell on 7/31, launching on 8/1 and it looks like we maybe in for quite the week of storms. In my almost 20 years of going to Powell I have never seen a weather outlook like this before. Going to find a very protected cove and hunker down. Can't wait to listen to channel 16 next week. Any one have popcorn?

Brent

And channel WX1
Oh that is a given, as well as driving the waverunner to a spot I can get the local radar and current weather. When I see storm clouds out and about I some times go out on the waverunner and just look at the local radar real quick. Is that big cloud headed my way or?? Our first day of our in first trip in 2004, we were blown sideways on our rental with Aramark. After that I educated myself and haven't been blown off since. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

nzaugg

Oh that is a given, as well as driving the waverunner to a spot I can get the local radar and current weather. When I see storm clouds out and about I some times go out on the waverunner and just look at the local radar real quick. Is that big cloud headed my way or?? Our first day of our in first trip in 2004, we were blown sideways on our rental with Aramark. After that I educated myself and haven't been blown off since. Fingers crossed.
I thought I was pretty bulletproof until last year. Had a storm hit strong and sideways at about 9:00 at night. The sandstone rock we were tied to exploded under the pressure, causing us to rely on one line, which then slipped out of position as the front of the boat walked in the storm, leaving us with no anchors on the one side and slack anchors on the other side. We quickly put out 6 additional anchor lines but you better believe we were all sweating bullets for about 30 minutes until the whole situation was corrected.

I am learning to avoid any of the long submerged sandstone that has rotted after 50 years under water.

Brent

That was one of the best parts of Starlink on the houseboat at the last trip. I could pull up real time radar on my phone from the houseboat.
We had Direct TV on the boat last year, and were anchored where we could get 4G. I didn't like it. We were all on our phones and watching TV instead of enjoying Lake Powell. This year I told my whole crew. If you need to be in contact with school or work then please do not go. We are purposely finding a spot with no internet nor phone service. I can drive the wave runner and go and get it once a day if I see a storm. Other then that I'm going to let the world go by without us for a week.

Momma Bear 2000

Brent, will you be down south or launching midlake? We are launching from Bullfrog on Sunday morning, 7/31.

I was hoping with the consistent temps at 95-ish next week we’d have the good weather vibes on our side. I’m only seeing afternoon thunderstorms next week Tuesday and Thursday at 55% chance of rain.

Tight lines and bright skies to you.

Brent

Brent, will you be down south or launching midlake? We are launching from Bullfrog on Sunday morning, 7/31.

I was hoping with the consistent temps at 95-ish next week we’d have the good weather vibes on our side. I’m only seeing afternoon thunderstorms next week Tuesday and Thursday at 55% chance of rain.

Tight lines and bright skies to you.
We are out of wahweap. Used to head up to rock creek almost every year but gas prices, no CRC and grandchildren keep us with the crowds now.

sparkin5280

We had Direct TV on the boat last year, and were anchored where we could get 4G. I didn't like it. We were all on our phones and watching TV instead of enjoying Lake Powell. This year I told my whole crew. If you need to be in contact with school or work then please do not go. We are purposely finding a spot with no internet nor phone service. I can drive the wave runner and go and get it once a day if I see a storm. Other then that I'm going to let the world go by without us for a week.
^^^THIS^^^

I have even threatened my kids and other family's kids on my trips that if I see them on the phone or device I'm going to turn the phone into a lure and cast it into the lake. That being said I'm a softy and still let them play maybe 30 minutes on the device to settle and "get their fix".

bk2drvr

My understanding is the national weather service cannot predict thunderstorms with any accuracy several days out. They report them just before or while they are happening.

sdgr

We're heading out on 7/31 as well on a rental - experience makes me a little concerned (sold our houseboat share 5 years ago after 20 years on the lake). "Expedition" 46' has one motor at Bullfrog (they have 2 at Wahweap), and only 2 anchors. On our old boat, I used the throttles more than the wheel for steering, especially docking. And having been through some intense micro-bursts, having 4 anchors out, at rocks the size of Volkswagons, was the only way to feel secure. So hoping for quiet week out there.

Ryan

Escalante-Class Member
We're heading out on 7/31 as well on a rental - experience makes me a little concerned (sold our houseboat share 5 years ago after 20 years on the lake). "Expedition" 46' has one motor at Bullfrog (they have 2 at Wahweap), and only 2 anchors. On our old boat, I used the throttles more than the wheel for steering, especially docking. And having been through some intense micro-bursts, having 4 anchors out, at rocks the size of Volkswagons, was the only way to feel secure. So hoping for quiet week out there.
I haven’t rented in quite a while but in the past if you requested additional rope, they were accommodating. I’d guess the same is true with anchors.