Out drive needed for my 1995

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackalope

Looks like I an going to have to replace my Alpha One Gen 2.

I replaced the bellows and gimbal bearing and everything that goes with it. When I was draining the oil out I noticed there was water in there. Then got the lower unit off to replace the water pump components, there was water in the gear casing. I did the work anyway then reattached it, and filled it with oil, when I opened the oil fill at the bottom, I had a lot of water come out.

Long story short, now I have oil leaking out of the upper and lower case, and Yes I did replace all the seals.

So the question, where do I get a good deal on a replacement? Thanks!

SEI is on the list, the cost is still over $2K
SEI has one of the best "no questions asked" warrantees though. If I remember right, I think it's 3 years!
They are much cheaper than Mercruiser.

But, if you want to pull the drive and bring it to my shop (if you are on the North end) We can do a pressure/vacuum test on it and see where you are leaking. Possibly save you thousands.

If you are on the south end, any shop that works on boats should be able to do it for ya.

Thank you for the offer, I would love to bring it to you, unfortunately I am in San Diego and boat shops are booked for months over here.

Is SEI solid? I an thinking this is the way to go, its about $1,500 - $2,000 cheaper then Mercruiser.

The next question is what do I do with the old one .. HA!

If you want to be really thrifty…..

I know a group that bought a “donor boat”. Pulled the engine and out drive and used it on their houseboat.

Recycled the old hull, sold the trailer. If you are handy (and maybe lucky?) that might be the most economical way to go.

In regard to the SEI reliability, that drive worked fine for our old houseboat, but admittedly we didn’t stay partners long after the install.

What to do with the old drive?personally, I would rebuild it and either keep it for the next time you have a problem, or sell it to someone in a situation similar to yours.

Have you looked at drive availability yet? Can you even get one in todays market?

I ordered the SEI, should be here in less than a week. Thanks for the feedback on the SEI. They seem like they back there stuff up.

There were a few other reasons besides the water inside and oil leak that "talked me into ordering a new one. Now what do I do with the old one?

I ordered the SEI, should be here in less than a week. Thanks for the feedback on the SEI. They seem like they back there stuff up.

There were a few other reasons besides the water inside and oil leak that "talked me into ordering a new one. Now what do I do with the old one?
Drop it off. I'll take it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back