On the Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnpull

Well we are here and I have great cell service here at camp so I thought I'd check in! We got in and set up camp by about 3:30 PM then started to fish. Water temps are perfect 58-62. Between 4-7 pm we probably boated 50+ fish. Mostly smallies with a couple LMB.
LMB.jpg

Then tonight the boys wanted to try their hand for catfish from the back of the boat......and they found a few pigs!

catfish.jpg

The views aren't too bad either!

sunset.jpg

The lure that was really killing it for me today was this one below. A ned rig with a skirt in black / orange (molting craw).

ned rig.jpg

Glad you made it there. From the picture of the rocks ,it looks like you are camped in Piute Canyon. The other picture of the LM looks like you were fishing the island just out side Piute Canyon with your camp behind the boys or just into Neskahi wash. Is there a hazard just out side Piute Canyon as you enter the bay?

Keep killing them but please leave a few for our trip in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the report.

Last edited:
How's the water clarity, arround the great bend? And are there a lot of floating garbage?
Thanks

Glad you made it there. From the picture of the rocks ,it looks like you are camped in Piute Canyon. The other picture of the LM looks like you were fishing the island just out side Piute Canyon with your camp behind the boys or just into Neskahi wash. Is there a hazard just out side Piute Canyon as you enter the bay?

Keep killing them but please leave a few for our trip in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the report.

We are camped over by Neskahi and all our pics are in that area as we didn't venture to far from camp after setting up. We were over by Piute today and the hazards are there. A couple just poking out of the water and a couple just under.

How's the water clarity, arround the great bend? And are there a lot of floating garbage?
Thanks
Stained in Neskahi bay 2-5'. I haven't made it up around the bend yet. Wind picked up something fierce this afternoon (2ish) and finally drove us off the water. I hope our tent makes it! Been some pretty gusty times for the last 8-9 hours. Not alot of floating garbage. A few sticks and smaller logs.

what kind of skirt is that? something specific for the rig or a generic replacement skirt?

It's one of these. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Z-MA...d-qeGeClPwTKl6flakqtkaAuGo8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Although my boys made a few of thier own out of some worn out hula jigs and they seemed to work quite well. I really like those z man TRD's and zinkers (stick bait). They are super durable and as long as you don't snag one and lose it, you can fish it all day. They also float, so with the jig head they stand up off the bottom. My boys even took them and wacky rigged them on a jig head and did pretty well with fishing them that way.

I think you are fibbing, I do not see any donkeys, the wind ain't blowing and there is not a skinwalker in sight
Are you sure you are on the San Juan? If your are then your having a boring trip without the donkeys and the skinwalkers.

We ran into a couple of your friends today Wayne. They had nets set out just outside our camp and they were kind enough to let us hang out and watch what was found in the nets. They even invited my boys onto their boat for a first hand look. They pulled a bunch of gizzard shad, a few stripers a few catfish and one Razorback Sucker!

dnr.jpg

razorback chub.jpg

We also got a chance to head out to Rainbow Bridge. We had originally planned to do it on our way out, but had to make an unexpected trip back to dangling rope this morning. The sunscreen we packed only had a single use in it. Let me tell you, that was some expensive sunscrreen having to pay for the fuel to go get it!!!

rainbow bridge.jpg

Are you sure you are on the San Juan? If your are then your having a boring trip without the donkeys and the skinwalkers.
Haha, plenty of Donkeys.......one of my boys was reading over my shoulder and asked me what a skinwalker is. I declined to tell him. I think I'll wait till one or two of them are a little older. I hope this wind stops soon....otherwise I'll likely not get any sleep tonight! BTW, having my laptop, generator and 4g cell service means I don't miss any of the Jazz playoff games while I'm out here. Bummer they lost tonight.

been fishin powell since 1997 and I've never seen a razorback sucker. I wonder if they are all over the lake and tributaries.

No round tail chubs in Lake Powell. We do catch razorback suckers and flannelmouth suckers.

I know round tail Chubs were released into the Florida River just above the where it joins the Animas... Thought maybe they might be working their way down stream..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back