• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

NPS

Tiff Mapel

I once donated to the National Parks Conservation Association, so I get their emails now. This one below was particularly troubling. I wonder if this has a trickle-down effect, that may be hampering progress at Lake Powell??

Tiff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you ever wondered who oversees the management of our 423 national parks?

The National Park Service Director's job is to support, guide and listen to the historians, scientists, rangers and managers at every one of those parks. And when advocates like you and I speak up about the issues that matter to our parks, it is the director's job to listen. Having the right person in this key position can make all the difference for parks, which have been without an official director for more than four years.

While President Biden needs to quickly nominate someone for this job, it is the Senate's job to make sure that person will work hard every day to protect and preserve the National Park System.

Please send a letter to your senators now, and ask them to support a nominee that will put our national parks, their communities, and their resources first.

The National Park Service Director also oversees the management of over 20,000 National Park Service employees. They depend on the director to protect and keep our most incredible natural, cultural, and historic resources for future generations to experience and enjoy. This is no small task, considering the Park Service is second only to the Department of Defense in the amount of infrastructure it manages.

For such an important role, we need to make sure that the U.S. Senate is ready to confirm a director who will:

- Bring positive change to the agency and help our national parks grow stronger in their second century.
- Protect our parks' natural, cultural and historic resources and ensure that they remain unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations.
- Ensure our parks have the cleanest water, clearest air and thriving wildlife.
- Preserve and interpret our cultural heritage and the stories that tell a more complete story of the country's history.
- Ensure safety of park visitors and staff.
- Create opportunities for innovative and bold solutions to keep parks healthy in the face of a changing climate.

It has been over four years since the National Park Service has had a Senate-confirmed director. For years, underfunding and staff cuts have required park staff to do far more with much less, all while visitation skyrockets at many parks across the country. The lack of leadership within the agency has only compounded these struggles, making it more difficult for staff to perform their duties to ensure the protection of our national parks.

Please send your senators a note to remind them that without a permanent, empowered director, it is our parks, public lands, and all who visit them that pay the price. Ask your senators to confirm a nominee who will uphold the National Park Service's mission to preserve and protect our parks for future generations!

Thank you for speaking up for our national parks -- and for the staff that keep them the best places in our country. It is time to offer the parks the leadership they deserve.

SkibumUT

It's mind boggling to me that any federal agency claims to be "underfunded".
Seeing the size/scope of what NPS is tasked with, and seeing up close what some of their locations have in terms of staff and resources, I think you could make a decent counter argument.

Same with the VA. The operating budget amounts add up fast, but when you drill down and think about what that is spread out over, it disappears fairly quick.

For me, I think it’s more about what things I think should or shouldn’t be funded, or what things the government should or shouldn’t have involvement with etc. Priorities, I guess.

rjmronster

Interior Secretary Haaland has been effective in undoing polices, particularly on the topic of xxxxxxx yyyyy ( two words that should never be mentioned here ). I believe there is still much to do, like moving the BLM back to DC, restoring integrity of the Department of Interior, bringing science back in play, and re-establishing trust that the Department of Interior is actually protecting the interior. Shawn Benge has been acting director of the NPS since January I believe. Seems he's doing a good working under Haaland. Is the National Parks Conservation Association not happy with Benge's policies ? To make this thread Powell related, I'd write Mr. Benge and Ms. Haaland and ask them to ensure that there will be funds in the infrastructure bill to extend launch ramps. Government can be useful; you just have to ask the right people.

Outside

I once donated to the National Parks Conservation Association, so I get their emails now. This one below was particularly troubling. I wonder if this has a trickle-down effect, that may be hampering progress at Lake Powell??

Tiff

The National Park Service Director's job is to support, guide and listen to the historians, scientists, rangers and managers at every one of those parks. And when advocates like you and I speak up about the issues that matter to our parks, it is the director's job to listen. Having the right person in this key position can make all the difference for parks, which have been without an official director for more than four years.

While President Biden needs to quickly nominate someone for this job, it is the Senate's job to make sure that person will work hard every day to protect and preserve the National Park System.

Please send a letter to your senators now, and ask them to support a nominee that will put our national parks, their communities, and their resources first.

The National Park Service Director also oversees the management of over 20,000 National Park Service employees. They depend on the director to protect and keep our most incredible natural, cultural, and historic resources for future generations to experience and enjoy. This is no small task, considering the Park Service is second only to the Department of Defense in the amount of infrastructure it manages.

For such an important role, we need to make sure that the U.S. Senate is ready to confirm a director who will:

- Bring positive change to the agency and help our national parks grow stronger in their second century.
- Protect our parks' natural, cultural and historic resources and ensure that they remain unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations.
- Preserve and interpret our cultural heritage and the stories that tell a more complete story of the country's history.
- Create opportunities for innovative and bold solutions to keep parks healthy in the face of a changing climate.

It has been over four years since the National Park Service has had a Senate-confirmed director. For years, underfunding and staff cuts have required park staff to do far more with much less, all while visitation skyrockets at many parks across the country. The lack of leadership within the agency has only compounded these struggles, making it more difficult for staff to perform their duties to ensure the protection of our national parks.

Please send your senators a note to remind them that without a permanent, empowered director, it is our parks, public lands, and all who visit them that pay the price. Ask your senators to confirm a nominee who will uphold the National Park Service's mission to preserve and protect our parks for future generations!

Thank you for speaking up for our national parks -- and for the staff that keep them the best places in our country. It is time to offer the parks the leadership they deserve.
What is so troubling about this email? NPS Needs a leader and some funding to help with their billions in backlog for simple maintenance and staffing

Tiff Mapel

This was troubling: Having the right person in this key position can make all the difference for parks, which have been without an official director for more than four years.

I would think that they would be a bit better organized? If National Parks were America's "Best idea," then someone has really dropped the ball. I get the feeling that our Parks are just not a high priority right now.

Tiff

Bollyb

Define infrastructure. National Park and Recreation Area maintenance or tuition free college?? Hum.. as I write my final tuition loan payment.

Bone

Venting in a thread about what needs to be done may make a person feel good but accomplishes very little. Putting It into a letter to your Senators and representatives in a positive and constructive way can have impact. If they hear enough voices something can happen. I understand the ridicule and cynicism, but it doesn’t help to get it done.

SkibumUT

Venting in a thread about what needs to be done may make a person feel good but accomplishes very little. Putting It into a letter to your Senators and representatives in a positive and constructive way can have impact. If they hear enough voices something can happen. I understand the ridicule and cynicism, but it doesn’t help to get it done.
Luckily Tiff has already been rallying everyone to reach out to their elected officials in Washington. Way to go, @Tiff Mapel

Gem Morris

Sorry, I'm going to continue to be the cynical one on this.

I have heard NATIONAL elected officials (Senators and House or Representatives) interviewed on NATIONAL talk radio talk shows and sound so clueless on current critical issues I felt embarrassed for them.

This is a huge part of the problem. These guys sit in Washington DC, no real feeling for what's going on in the rest of the country, in their isolated bubble and get re-elected year after year after year.

The consolidation of power over our lives in Washington DC and the BEUROCRACY under which we live (it doesn't matter who gets elected, it's all the unelected officials that really drive the machine behind the scenes who think they know better than us) makes me very worried for our future. If you don't think every federal level institution is corrupt you have been living under a rock.

Tiff Mapel

For "Bone" and anyone else out there who might still want to write a letter to our elected officials, here is the original thread:

Anyone want to write a letter or two?

And here are contacts for those officials:

Bureau of Reclamation: ResourceMgr@usbr.gov
Glen Canyon Superintendent: glca_superintendent@nps.gov (Billy Shott)
Interior Secretary Deb Haaland: feedback@ios.doi.gov
Arizona Congressman Tom O'Halleran: Congressman Tom O´Halleran
Arizona Junior Senator Mark Kelly: Home » Senator Mark Kelly
Arizona Senior Senator Kyrsten Sinema: Home | Senator Kyrsten Sinema
Utah Congressman Chris Stewart: U.S. Congressman Chris Stewart
Utah Congressman John Curtis: Home Page - Congressman Curtis
Utah Junior Senator Mitt Romney: Home | Senator Mitt Romney
Utah Senior Senator Mike Lee: Mike Lee US Senator for Utah
Colorado Senator Michael Bennett: U.S. Senator Michael Bennet
Colorado Senator John Hickenlooper: Home » Senator John Hickenlooper

The first three listed here are email addresses. The rest of them have their own website where you can email from. However, if you're not living in their district, some of them won't let you email them.... In that case you need to send a snail-mail letter.

If more of us can speak up, maybe they'll place more attention on this situation.

Thanks,
Tiff

Teamster

Tiff

Done, just sent it.