North Lake Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
North Powell is pretty good fishing for bass and crappie from the bank. The pattern has been really consistent for us. 95% of fish have been caught within 10 ft of the bank. Some open water crappie. 95% of our fish have been caught on shallow cranks natural or green in color and retrieved slowly. Pumpkin Green tube jigs have been decent as well the same color in a double hula tail. Although we have not tried much else since we have been having good enough success with cranks. I think if a guy is patient and it isnt windy then jig fishing might be as good. Crappie have been the most caught fish for us! About as many LMB as SMB which is way cool. Not a striper in our last 3 trips and only a couple when we were in Blue notch late march, Where are they?? We fished Farley canyon before the closure and North Wash twice in the last two weeks same pattern all three times. Water was real stained in north wash which was to be expected. We might head back down next week for another grueling day trip. All Lmb were released and we keep/release crappie every other per our standard on decent years most years they get thrown back except for one or two for lunch!! small and big smb were released but we kept most of the middle sized ones( excellent eating). NO striper and walleye. I did catch a walleye two weeks ago in Farley but lost it right at the bank but I couldnt believe how hard it fought for a walleye i thought for sure it was a LMB! Take care!

Where are the stripers? I hope to find out next week. As I have been reporting, Mature stripers ready to spawn, behave much differently than infertile fish that are very hungry. As the water temperature climbs into the 60s, look for mature fish in the shade of tall east walls. in the early morning. I don't get uplake in the spring so I do not know of any hotspots to report in the north lake. Look for them along rocky points in the evening as the school heads to shallow water to spawn. The actual spawn will not occur until mid or late May. When I find them in spawning mode I will report. If you find them, then let me know. It has been a very unusual year. With only a day or two to spend on the lake target bass and walleye. They will be the most cooperative fish until after the spawn and boils begin in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back