New user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are coming to Lake Powell late August, early September. It has always been on my bucket list of pllaces to experience. My first thoughts were to rent a houseboat, but the deal is, were hosting 3 other couples that we go on an annual vacation with. One person selects the venue, and pays for all of the lodging for all couples, Costs at the venue are shared equally. We went to Lake of the Ozarks a couple years ago and had a great time.

Mexico last winter, and again had a great time. This time, its my turn for the venue, and its going to be Lake Powell. We have a VRBO house in Page that we have for 8 days. In the past, the host has always been to the venue many times before, so they know all the local things to see and do. This year is different, as no one has ever been to Lake Powell before, so were looking for things to occupy our time. Golfing is important to 2 couples, obviously shopping is high on the womens list, The guys are pretty much all outdoorsmen, and fishing is to be included in the list of activities. We are bringing a boat that everyone is comfortable riding in, but how well it works for fishing, is yet to be determined, but, I guarantee its better than laying on the beach and shore fishing. I just got back last night from taking a guys fishing trip to South Dakota, and we had an incredible time. Weather was great, and fishing was even better.

Weve requested brochures form some online sources, but would sure appreciate some insider information as far as things to do and places to eat. We'll be basing out of Page, so that kind of restricts us to that area, but were relatively mobile, and Id like to go to Bullfrog, if at all possible, but dont want to just go and turn around and come back.

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Thank R

There are a lot of great people here with lots of experience on the lake. A houseboat would definitely be my choice for enjoying the lake - even with three other couples. It is more work, but so much more rewarding. I can't help you much with Page. I've been there plenty of times, but usually just as a place to eat or sleep before getting back on the water.

Another great resource for this type of question is TripAdvisor. You might want to post this question in their Lake Powell Forum -
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60911-i1876-Lake_Powell_Utah.html

Good luck!

-Bart

If you share more information on exactly what boat you have, we might be able to offer better advice.

As far as trying to get all the way up to Bullfrog and back in one day, I've never been to the lake with a boat that I would look forward to that trip. You are looking at nearly 100 miles each way.

I think you would want to make sure you see Rainbow Bridge. The San Juan River (my favorite part of the lake) isn't far uptake from Rainbow Bridge. But that is still going to be 75 miles (depending on how far up the River you would go) one way.

I see some of the sights that many who have lived in Page take for granted. There is a short walk to a place called horseshoe bend that is beautiful and was free the last time I went.. Antelope Canyon is another possibility on foot. The Navajo nation runs that tour. Once you hit the water you could go up antelope from the lake side on your boat. Padre bay has a gorgeous cove on the east side that is pretty hidden but it is there and surrounded by cliffs. You need to study a map to get a little acquainted with the lake, it's huge. The only problem with a run to Bullfrog is the possibility of wind. It's a commitment and you will miss so many things in that time and a beautiful day can turn ugly quick with the wind. Rainbow Bridge is a very popular destination and you can run into Dangling Rope for some of the best ice cream around and refuel. Navajo Canyon has some awesome cliffs and desert patina. I agree with Bart about the Houseboat. You could move once from your original houseboat camp and explore your original and second area and really get to see alot. It is alot of work but worth it 10 times over. I think wahweap marina has half off specials in September. Hope this helps a little. Waynesords has tons of fishing tips.

Rollie,

I sent you a PM (called a Conversation here) with some recommendations on the houseboat rental.

Got it Bob, and replied. Thanks.. The couple bringing the boat has a 17 hour drive to get there. its 22 hours for me and the other two couples maybe a couple hours more. In looking at boat rentals that can hold 8, Im going to suggest he not bring the boat, because its just not fair to have to put the wear and tear on his boat, or trailer, or even his tow vehicle. It looks like we can get a 21 foot runabout for around $500 per day. That makes much more sense to me. We may rent PWCs also for a day. Doesnt look like there are any fishing boats available for rent, so we may hire a guide or two. We did that at LOZ on Truman Lake for Wipers, and had a great time. Thanks for all the replies.. It sounds like the wife and I may have to go back a different time to do BullFrog.

Your welcome and I think the house will work much better for your group. Powell is a great place to play. I'd be very surprised if you don't come back in the future.

Will a 46' houseboat get into dock near Rainbow Bridge in mid June?

Our rental company is saying its 'too difficult' and that a power boat is needed.

I note that water levels are still low

I think they want to rent you another boat. There have been 59' houseboats in there at every level above 3555, which is the lowest I have been on the lake!

Well, its getting close enough to check the ten day forecast. Looking good, and getting excited.. Were just back from 2 weeks at Knoxville Iowa for the Sprint car nationals. Had a great time there with great friends, and am really looking forward to spending some time on and around Powell. Flying to Albuquerque on Friday, driving up from there..

Just curious. May I ask why you chose ABQ?

Thats a valid question..:)

Two of the couples are from Minnesota, and are flying together to Phoenix, where one has a second home and a car, and are driving up from there on Saturday.
The third couple lives in Joplin Missouri and is driving our pulling his 28 ft cabin cruiser. Its a 17 hour drive for him and his wife.. We are from Northwest Iowa, and originally we thought we would drive to Joplin and ride out with them, to give them some company on the road, and possibly some driving help. After coming off 2 weeks vaca at Knoxville, in order to pull that off, it would almost take an additional week for me to do it that way, and I just cant justify a second two week vacation, so we decided we would meet up with them in Albuquerque (on the way from Joplin) on friday night, get a good nights sleep, and wheel into Page on Saturday. We cannot check into our VRBO until 4. We shall do the reverse on the way out. Basically, we had to fly into somewhere, and this gives us a couple extra days with this couple, and eliminates a rental car for us..

Thats a valid question..:)

Two of the couples are from Minnesota, and are flying together to Phoenix, where one has a second home and a car, and are driving up from there on Saturday.
The third couple lives in Joplin Missouri and is driving our pulling his 28 ft cabin cruiser. Its a 17 hour drive for him and his wife.. We are from Northwest Iowa, and originally we thought we would drive to Joplin and ride out with them, to give them some company on the road, and possibly some driving help. After coming off 2 weeks vaca at Knoxville, in order to pull that off, it would almost take an additional week for me to do it that way, and I just cant justify a second two week vacation, so we decided we would meet up with them in Albuquerque (on the way from Joplin) on friday night, get a good nights sleep, and wheel into Page on Saturday. We cannot check into our VRBO until 4. We shall do the reverse on the way out. Basically, we had to fly into somewhere, and this gives us a couple extra days with this couple, and eliminates a rental car for us..
Thanks for responding. You may be familiar and far ahead of me with a plan but there are a number of IBT squares between ABQ and Page.
  • I-40 to US-89 to Page gives you Meteor Crater, The Petrified Forest, Sunset Crater and even the Eagles statue of the guy actually "standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona."
  • I-40 to US-191 to US-160 to AZ-98 to Page yields Canyon De Chelly, Four Corners and Monument Valley.
Either way has you skirt the edges of The Painted Desert. Some of these might be of interest if you have the time. Just food for thought.

Oh yeah, IBT = "I Been There"
Goblin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back