new to the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

northriver

Hi all great site.I have wanted to fish lake powell as long as i can remember.
I live in northern cal and fish striper in the delta and river systems. I have been viewing your site
for a couple of years very informative.
Anyway i have finally pryed my wallet open and have a houseboat rented in may (first week) 2018
plan on halling my boat (guess what make) wife and son on a week of striper fishing and looking at wonderfull views. we will arive at bullfrog and plan on taking the arm up toward Hite.
any information for my plan of attack would be very usefull.

Thanks
Northriver.

Keep an eye on the forum, reports will start coming in march and April that will help you plan your trip. I am thinking about fishing out of bullfrog myself this may and will watching the reports too. welcome to the board it's a great site.

One thing to remember, bring ALL the supplies you will need for the trip. There is NO Walmart or the like at Bullfrog. Ice is expensive, $7.00 or $8.00/20lb. as is everything else. Pick up your ice in Hanksville, they have REAL ice, not crushed and re-frozen. Granted, on the North end you don't get the crowds, but you also don't get the local amenities. Sq

One thing to remember, bring ALL the supplies you will need for the trip. There is NO Walmart or the like at Bullfrog. Ice is expensive, $7.00 or $8.00/20lb. as is everything else. Pick up your ice in Hanksville, they have REAL ice, not crushed and re-frozen. Granted, on the North end you don't get the crowds, but you also don't get the local amenities. Sq
thanks for the tip.

People on this site are amazingly generous, you will get all kinds of great advice and recommendations that can steer you towards fishing spots/techniques.

If you are targeting stripers, I would head up to Good Hope Bay and the Red Canyon to Traychite areas. Normally, this would likely be too blown out with muddy runoff during early May, but this is looking like a very low runoff year. Areas just downstream of the super dirty chocolate milk mudline can be ridiculous in the spring. I say this all the time, but don't be put off by dirty looking water. Stained water, especially in the backs of bays with anything more than a foot or 2 of visibility is better than the clear water. We like to troll deep diving shad imitations like the KVD 4 and 5 XD, and similar in shad/chartreuse colors, moving into water 15-20 feet deep and back out to 50+ foot deep until we locate fish. Troll fast, 3 mph or so. Once we find schools, we often switch to fly rods with sinking lines and chartreuse/white 1/0 Clouser Minnows. We catch more fish than we want to bother fileting when things are rocking, it is pretty fun!!!

There are certainly plenty of spots closer to Bullfrog for all species, like Bullfrog and Halls Bays, Hansen Canyon etc. We just seem to find the fishing a lot more hit and miss than up in GHB....

Haha funny thing northriver is I head out there to do some bass fishing for the past 4 years. I've gone to the delta twice and this year will be my third time going to clear lake. If your fishing for bass you might feel a little lost. There are no weeds to speak of at lake Powell. There are not really any ledges, not unless you count a 40 foot drop a ledge. At the same time I love lake Powell. You can catch bass on all the same lures you do out there.

Haha funny thing northriver is I head out there to do some bass fishing for the past 4 years. I've gone to the delta twice and this year will be my third time going to clear lake. If your fishing for bass you might feel a little lost. There are no weeds to speak of at lake Powell. There are not really any ledges, not unless you count a 40 foot drop a ledge. At the same time I love lake Powell. You can catch bass on all the same lures you do out there.
thanks for the info i think im going to target walleye and striper but i should have enough gear without buying a but load. i hope!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All I am new as well i have commented and liked a whole bunch of cool discussions and information. I am stoked to have learned of this forum and will support by sharing all I learn as I start to explore LP for my first time! I will be there in Bullfrog this Wed thru Sun. We are going to get our lines tight!

Hello All I am new as well i have commented and liked a whole bunch of cool discussions and information. I am stoked to have learned of this forum and will support by sharing all I learn as I start to explore LP for my first time! I will be there in Bullfrog this Wed thru Sun. We are going to get our lines tight!
welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back