Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Fix Tilt trim

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Fix boat and sell it and buy a newer bigger one

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

svivian

I need your opinions....

This April while cruising up to Last Chance I lost the hydraulics on my outboard and had to putter back with the trolling motor until i could get towed by a generous boater.

Here is where I am at.... its a 1998 Evinrude Oceanpro 150 with who knows how many hours but has ran great up until this happened. To fix the tilt/trim I have to pull the entire motor off to replace a $450 part. Since I would be going to the trouble of taking the motor off should I just look at getting a newer 4 stroke and sell the old one?

The boat is in my profile pic.

Thanks

Trix

Escalante-Class Member
In today's world of high repair costs, $500 is cheap if that gets you going. If economics is the only criteria, repairs are almost always far cheaper than replacements. But if reliability and better performance are factored in, then a new engine may make sense. My two cents.

Ryan

Escalante-Class Member
Have you looked at availability of a re-power? That might make your decision for you.

But, asking for my opinion, I am happy to spend your $. I personally will never go back to a 2-stroke engine. I like the quiet and fuel efficiency of the 4 strokes. Not to mention the lack of exhaust smell.

svivian

Have you looked at availability of a re-power? That might make your decision for you.

But, asking for my opinion, I am happy to spend your $. I personally will never go back to a 2-stroke engine. I like the quiet and fuel efficiency of the 4 strokes. Not to mention the lack of exhaust smell.
I have I have found a few but of course cost more than what they did a few years ago.

svivian

I am with Dungee. You might check the compression just to make sure it is all good before fixing the trim…
Yep sure did all cylinders are within 5psi of each other. Motor turns over easy and no issues there other than maybe a carb job.

I’ve owned the boat for several years and this is the first time I’ve been “stranded” and that was after putting 500 miles on the engine just that week at powell….

My thoughts on the new motor are this

I fish a lot of different water from 2500ft at pleasant to 8500 at grand lake. Changing out the jets gets real old since it’s not fuel injected. Also it’s damn loud and it’s about 50hp less than what should be on that boat.

Now that prices on motors have gone up so much at this point if I’m spending that much why not upgrade boats.

While my wife and I have loved this boat and it’s been awesome it’s 2 feet short and we have found a few things we would want on the same platform/style of boat. But boat prices right now are also insane.

Ryan

Escalante-Class Member
Now that prices on motors have gone up so much at this point if I’m spending that much why not upgrade boats.

While my wife and I have loved this boat and it’s been awesome it’s 2 feet short and we have found a few things we would want on the same platform/style of boat. But boat prices right now are also insane.
Changed my mind. If this is your mindset, sell the boat and upgrade. The high price of the new boat will be off set by the value of this boat.

You only live once. And who knows how long that time will be. Buy the upgrade if you can afford it.

Trix

Escalante-Class Member

Uh Oh, two feet-itis! 21 Nordic, 210 Sea Ray, 230 Sea Ray, 268 Sea Ray. Just a couple of feet! ;)

svivian

Uh Oh, two feet-itis! 21 Nordic, 210 Sea Ray, 230 Sea Ray, 268 Sea Ray. Just a couple of feet! ;)
I tow too much to go over 24’

But I know many who have suffered from this

Rainbowbridge

Escalante-Class Member
Sorry, the mechanic in me.....(Dad owned Amoco Station in the 50s) screams TRY THE FIX FIRST!!! :)

Here's a rule of greasy thumb another mechanic told me on outboards:

Even if you used it every year...that's 24 yrs X 70 hours (national # of hours a year) = 1680 X 45MPH (wide open) = 75,600 miles.... Is a car finished at 75K miles? food for thought.

1) You did less than 70 hrs a year 2) were never constantly wide open 3) so this engine has probably much less 'mileage'

That said, FICHTs were notorious for injection problems, but if yours is ok.....that's great!

Dorado nailed it: do a compression test first.

If in specs, hoist the engine up with an engine hoist, of I've used a block and tackle in the garage....on MANY an outboard :)

Replace lift/trim system. Then have fun catching fish!

$500 vs a $20K new motor? Maybe $1,000 to have a young mechanic help you???....:)

But, if you won the mega millions, who cares?

P.S. Regarding 2 stroke smell: the fuel injected were MUCH better than Carburetored ones.....by far

also, the pollution this one motor will put out isn't 1% of what Knockers put out.......jus' sayin'

end of rant (drivel)...:)

Dorado

Escalante-Class Member
Yep sure did all cylinders are within 5psi of each other. Motor turns over easy and no issues there other than maybe a carb job.

I’ve owned the boat for several years and this is the first time I’ve been “stranded” and that was after putting 500 miles on the engine just that week at powell….

My thoughts on the new motor are this

I fish a lot of different water from 2500ft at pleasant to 8500 at grand lake. Changing out the jets gets real old since it’s not fuel injected. Also it’s damn loud and it’s about 50hp less than what should be on that boat.

Sounds like you are talking yourself into a new boat :ROFLMAO: I did the same recently. Bought a Ranger Reata 1850 LS for $35.5K, 39 hours on the 4 stroke 150.

I won't hijack your thread, but I think you will find the used boat market has softened a little bit, there were lots of boats on the market this spring that were WAY overpriced. Those boats did not sell, and many kept marking down the asking price. There should be some reasonable deals out there this fall I would bet.

WyoRado

I replaced an optimax with a 4 stroke in 2016. Easily one of the best boating upgrades I've ever made. Uses half the fuel, no expensive oil, super quiet, and can run at idle endlessly without bogging. I can do Bulffrog to Good Hope round trip on less than 10 gallons of gas.
If you can find a repower, or even the whole new boat upgrade, and funds are not the issue, it seems a no-brainer.

TR.

Escalante-Class Member
Better resale for the boat if you fix the smoker and decide to sell after the fix. And at that point you might decide to just roll on with it and save some dollars for now. Easy for me to say as I don’t have to change jets on my 130 as I leave it in the flatlands lol.

Dungee

Escalante-Class Member
Sounds like you are talking yourself into a new boat :ROFLMAO: I did the same recently. Bought a Ranger Reata 1850 LS for $35.5K, 39 hours on the 4 stroke 150.

I won't hijack your thread, but I think you will find the used boat market has softened a little bit, there were lots of boats on the market this spring that were WAY overpriced. Those boats did not sell, and many kept marking down the asking price. There should be some reasonable deals out there this fall I would bet.

I’ve always said that is the only boat I’d switch out our fish hawk for.

svivian

I appreciate all the feedback, its nice to be able to come to a large group of boat owners each with their own experience and perspectives on a situation. This is my second boat ive owned ever.

And yes maybe i am trying to talk myself into a new boat lol and thats why im here to see if i needed a reality check.