navigational map

broncobeater

Looking for the best map/s for finding all the different canyons and coves via boat. Coming to Powell for my third time in a 50 year span. Going to start on the southern end and boat/camp my way uplake for 3 weeks, starting next week. Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks, Darrell

PowellBride

Search the thread "Lake Powell Maps?" it was a fairly recent discussion with lots of suggestions including pros/cons of different maps.

I'm jealous, your plan to start at one end and explore uplake sounds awesome

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick5207

Navionics App. It's the best I've found for finding whales. I won't run the boat without that app on. It's save me from grief more times than I can count and I've only been to LP 4 times now. I'll be there next week and you can bet I'll have the map turned on.
It would be great for running the canyons.
It's free for 2 weeks and only $14.00 per year.

Paul_G

What Maverick said.
That app is fantastic. You can select a point on the map and it will route you automatically on the safest path. It will tell you how many miles and even how much gas it will take if you ever your boat information.

Dorado

X3. I have it on my phone, but it will work on a laptop or ipad also. If you download the maps before you go, you do not need a cell signal to use the app. I have the fishin' maps, but they show the lake when it is full, not that useful. The map on the Navionics was surveyed when the lake was around 3606 feet in Elevation, which is pretty close to what it is now. You can go to the Menu, Map options, then select the water level to reflect what it is when you go. I am not super tech savvy, but find this app is easy to use. It is not perfect, but very useful!!!

Also available, created from the geological survey of Lake Powell before it was filled, are Lake Powell GPS Maps. With a collection of 15 different map elevations, it allows you to select a map to meet the current lake level. Available for iSO, Android, Windows, Lowrance, and older Garmin chartplotters. With the current water level at 3598', I would use the "3590' Shallow Depth" map, giving you an 8' clearance less your boat draft at the bold "Shallow Depth" contour. With the downloaded map it relies on gps reception and not cell phone coverage to show your location on the lake.

Zman

Had the Navionics app and was great, then my subscription ran out and did not feel like paying $10-15 every year. Updated to a Helix 7 with Lakemaster Maps and like that way more as I don't have to fumble with my phone and the screen going into lockout mode, ect. Also I run the Helix in dual map/chart mode. One is set to close up and the other I can zoom in and out when needed. I can't imagine going on the lake anymore without something that has a lake level offset, money well spent.

ScottF

Had the Navionics app and was great, then my subscription ran out and did not feel like paying $10-15 every year. Updated to a Helix 7 with Lakemaster Maps and like that way more as I don't have to fumble with my phone and the screen going into lockout mode, ect. Also I run the Helix in dual map/chart mode. One is set to close up and the other I can zoom in and out when needed. I can't imagine going on the lake anymore without something that has a lake level offset, money well spent.
Hello Zman, does your Helix/Lakemaster map allow you to set the current lake level and redraw relabel the contour lines to match? That's the problem with the Raymarine built into my cruiser.

Meatwagon

The Lakemaster chip adjusts the shoreline and depth based on how you offset the lake level. So at a level of 3598 you would offset -102ft and that would be the new shoreline with the depth contours starting at zero to the adjusted shoreline.