• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Navajo - June 9, 2021

panodanno

I’m new to the site, having just started reading it when I moved my Whaler from Lake Mead to Lake Powell in late April. Thanks for all the tips and information.

After a few trips learning the lake and exploring, it was time for a fishing only trip. So, yesterday I fished at the mouth of Navajo, hooking up within 20 seconds on the first cast of my anchovy baited jig. That pattern continued (though switching to striper belly for bait) until I had 17 stripers in the ice chest. Most of the fish were in the 2-3lb range with a couple larger and a couple smaller. Since that is very close to my “fillet limit”, I decided to move on and switch to smallmouth bass.

Fishing some of the small coves further up the main channel, I caught some dinky smallmouths on a ned rig. In one cove I was graphing larger fish, but not catching them. Then I hooked into a nice one… that turned out to be a striper. So, I switched back to bait and caught three more nice 3lb-ish stripers on three casts.

The Wahweap ramp was orderly, but the parking was challenging. I got my steps in parking and retrieving my trailer from Big Water! Okay, not that bad, but it was a long walk from and to the ramp.

It was beautiful weather and great fishing, ending up with well over a gallon zip of fillets. Gotta love that.

gznokes

I’m new to the site, having just started reading it when I moved my Whaler from Lake Mead to Lake Powell in late April. Thanks for all the tips and information.

After a few trips learning the lake and exploring, it was time for a fishing only trip. So, yesterday I fished at the mouth of Navajo, hooking up within 20 seconds on the first cast of my anchovy baited jig. That pattern continued (though switching to striper belly for bait) until I had 17 stripers in the ice chest. Most of the fish were in the 2-3lb range with a couple larger and a couple smaller. Since that is very close to my “fillet limit”, I decided to move on and switch to smallmouth bass.

Fishing some of the small coves further up the main channel, I caught some dinky smallmouths on a ned rig. In one cove I was graphing larger fish, but not catching them. Then I hooked into a nice one… that turned out to be a striper. So, I switched back to bait and caught three more nice 3lb-ish stripers on three casts.

The Wahweap ramp was orderly, but the parking was challenging. I got my steps in parking and retrieving my trailer from Big Water! Okay, not that bad, but it was a long walk from and to the ramp.

It was beautiful weather and great fishing, ending up with well over a gallon zip of fillets. Gotta love that.
Thanks for the report! Great trip. When I have to retrieve my trailer out in the boonies I always try to offer a ride to someone hoofing it back to the ramp. Heck, with the ramp as long as it is this year, sometimes I'll drive people down to the dock while I'm launching