Mussel decontamination

Status
Not open for further replies.

harv50

I just relocated to southern Ut (STGeorge) and plan on fishing the Bass lakes that are close but would like to spend some time at Powell also. If I go to Powell is the park service or fish and game still doing the decontamination at the lake??

Good question. We only go to LP a few times a year in the spring, but we have never been able to get our boat decontaminated by either the Park Service or the state. We clean, drain dry and they say we are good to go....even though we know that would require some time to kill any mussels or veligers that might still be in the boat (and we either decontaminate the boat in Wyoming or let it sit for a few weeks before using it).

I hope it has changed....

If I go to Powell is the park service or fish and game still doing the decontamination at the lake??

Ahh the million dollar question. Unfortunately the answers you'll receive vary greatly. We've had decent luck getting it cleaned if we ask after leaving bullfrog.

My experience has been that in most cases they will try to get you to either clean, drain, dry and let sit the appropriate amount of time or tell you to just get it decontaminated at the next lake you go to prior to launching if you think it might be sooner than the drain and dry time. I have a number of wave runner rentals that often go to Powell and more often to Deer Creek (suspect of mussells) and this is a constant battle for my renters to get them decontaminated prior to return. It does help to tell them that your boat is a rental and that it could be launched in any lake after return. :)

They were doing full on decons at the Bullfrog station when we left on Sunday for anyone who requested them. Not sure if this is always the case or if they were doing it because of so many boats leaving after the bass tournament.

It is the plan this year to try to do as many decons as possible on departing boats at both Wahweap and Bullfrog. If coming for a few days try to schedule a decon in advance for your departure day. Hopefully it will get easier for this to happen for both the departing boater and for our AIS technicians.

Wayne, do you know if Colorado will honor the decontaminations conducted at the lake, or will they require their own?

Wayne, do you know if Colorado will honor the decontaminations conducted at the lake, or will they require their own?

No there is no agreement to allow another states mussel protocol to protect your own water. It is inconvenient but the only way to wisely protect Colorado waters from the mussel scourge.

Colorado won't honor decon from any other state.
Not sure that is true. According to a Ranger at Chatfield (who claims to be the head ranger, I have not verified), Colorado and Wyoming are "partners". Sounds to be reciprocal.

It seems to me there should be a universal response, as this is not a state by state issue.

@wayne gustaveson , thanks for your response.

Ryan, I know that Utah doesn't recognize a Colorado inspection tag, from experience (at least not at Bullfrog). I am willing to bet that Colo. won't recognize a Utah inspection tag. This was a few years ago. Sq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back