• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Montana Murph New to This Outfit.

drewsxmi

I"ve only fished there a couple times but found it awesome. Heading to Bull Frog for a few days late July and early August. A little anxiety over if the ramp will be open then.? I'm reading past threats to learn what is effective in summer. Thanks!
Just to be on the safe side, make mental preparations for launch/retrieval at Halls Crossing. If you are coming from Montana, the drive is about an hour and 15 minutes (corrected) longer (according to Google maps). Camping is available at either location, Halls is probably closer to the fishing, but (as far as I know) there is no lodge/hotel at Halls.

July 21, 2021 - edit: Well that didn't age well. Halls Ramp closed as of today, but launching off the asphalt by the main Bullfrog ramp seems to be working okay.

Last edited:

Montana Murph

Just to be on the safe side, make mental preparations for launch/retrieval at Halls Crossing. If you are coming from Montana, the drive is about a half hour longer (according to Google maps). Camping is available at either location, Halls is probably closer to the fishing, but (as far as I know) there is no lodge/hotel at Halls.
Thank you. I'm staying at the Defiance. I'll check that option out. I have fished over there and wandered what the launch there was all about. Thanks again.

drewsxmi

Thank you. I'm staying at the Defiance. I'll check that option out. I have fished over there and wandered what the launch there was all about. Thanks again.
If you're staying at Defiance House you're pretty much committed to Bullfrog. It's only about 5 miles across the lake from Halls Crossing, but 145 miles by road, 2:48 drive time. Any Bullfrog regulars want to chime in about slip availability and/or courtesy docks at Bullfrog? I'm thinking of a weird case where you launch at Halls, but tie up your boat at Bullfrog at night, and use the courtesy shuttle to get to the lodge.

BartsPlace

Staff member
This is speculation, but since Bullfrog is NPS' and Aramark's base of operations for the north lake, I think they'll keep some sort of access to the lake viable as least as long as Halls Crossing - maybe longer.

broski

They have nightly slip rentals available at bullfrog. You can go here to reserve one. Overnight Slips | Bullfrog-Hall Crossing (North Lake Powell - AZ)

I would DEFINITELY call executive services and followup on the reservation though, as they (both Bullfrog and Halls) are still experiencing glitches with the BoatUS partnership, etc...

As for the ramps. The executive (North) Ramp is about 5' deep right now... the lake is dropping 1'/week currently, so that's approx end of 1st week of August before it becomes sketchy or impossible. There are several other conversations ongoing in the recreation and fishing boards about the newly installed steel boiler plates on the main ramp, but it sounds like they added enough length/depth, to buy equal time as the Halls ramp.

I did not motor over and see the new steel plates installed, as the family was focused on fishing and water sports, but there is a dock there it looked like.

broski

Just to be on the safe side, make mental preparations for launch/retrieval at Halls Crossing. If you are coming from Montana, the drive is about a half hour longer (according to Google maps). Camping is available at either location, Halls is probably closer to the fishing, but (as far as I know) there is no lodge/hotel at Halls.
Google maps is assuming/estimating the Ferry ride time. The ferry is CLOSED. It is 97 Miles around from the turn you would take out of Hanksville, through Hite and Fry Canyon, and back into Halls, and takes about an hour and a half to two hours.

As for the rest of Drew's message, it's spot on. You can definitely launch at Halls, and get an overnight slip at Bullfrog. The only caveat is that Exec serivces only has a shuttle driver on until 8PM, so check with the lodge about their shuttle options, or it's a long hike from the slips!

There are some family units (VERY NICE!! newly renovated) at Halls, but you'd have to check your dates, and reserve quickly if one is available, but other than that, yup, just camping on that side.

If you'll have two vehicles in your convoy, you could always leave one on the Bullfrog side to act as your shuttle up to the lodge.

It's interesting down there this year for sure! We've been twice, and have 3 more trips coming...all will be different I'm sure!

drewsxmi

Broski: Thank you for the correction. I've edited my original post. Now Google Maps is showing a difference of 64 miles, and 1:16 in time. It was probably late at night when I was doing the comparisons. Google Maps still thinks the ferry is open.

broski

Broski: Thank you for the correction. I've edited my original post. Now Google Maps is showing a difference of 64 miles, and 1:16 in time. It was probably late at night when I was doing the comparisons. Google Maps still thinks the ferry is open.
It's all good man! GM always assumes that ferry is open, and here in Colorado, it often sends semis and tour buses up 4x4 jeep trails when I-70 is closed too....or God help us, over Independence Pass! lol~

One time, years ago, HWY550 closed south of Ouray due to a rockslide, and g-maps started sending people ovr Black Bear Pass into Telluride!

drewsxmi

It's all good man! GM always assumes that ferry is open, and here in Colorado, it often sends semis and tour buses up 4x4 jeep trails when I-70 is closed too....or God help us, over Independence Pass! lol~

One time, years ago, HWY550 closed south of Ouray due to a rockslide, and g-maps started sending people ovr Black Bear Pass into Telluride!
In Death Valley, California, they call it "Death by GPS." A fair number of people die after blindly following GPS directions and breaking down or getting stuck.

Thank you also for adding the information about family units at Halls Crossing. I saw them on the Aramark website after posting about no accommodations there other than camping.