Minn Kota 36” Endura Max 40 - Died

Rivergoer

Escalante-Class Member
Hoping for some advice on our 4 yr old Minn Kota Endura Max 40 trolling motor. It quit working last Sunday and I’m befuddled.

Details: We use this motor on our 14’ Grumman canoe. After Saturday night’s big storm back in Fifty Mile, we lost our houseboat boarding ramp. Sunday afternoon, we located the ramp floating about 200 yards away and proceeded to tow it back along side the canoe.

The trolling motor prop contacted the towed ramp a few times without incident. Just as we pulled in at the houseboat, the prop contacted the ramp again and the motor quit running. Nothing F or Reverse. 100A LiFePO battery fully charged.

Disconnected battery, reconnected, no joy. Disassembled control head, no visible corrosion or bad connections, looked factory-new. Did not see any kind of fuse or reset button.

Note: A couple months ago, this trolling motor was accidentally submerged for about 60 seconds when the canoe capsized. Before attempting to use again, it was completely drained/dried. Have about 5 hours on it since the submersion before this current problem.

Fixable…or bite the bullet and buy new? Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
I would wager a guess that it has to do with the submersion and not the prop hitting the ramp.

For work, I sell a high tech microprocessor device that isn't waterproof. It is pretty common for water damage to show up quite a while after exposure. I know its not a trolling motor, but electronics are likely similar.

If you want to look into service, Minnkota has service providers on their website. I used the one in Colorado once, and he did a great job.

Rivergoer

Escalante-Class Member
I would wager a guess that it has to do with the submersion and not the prop hitting the ramp.

For work, I sell a high tech microprocessor device that isn't waterproof. It is pretty common for water damage to show up quite a while after exposure. I know its not a trolling motor, but electronics are likely similar.

If you want to look into service, Minnkota has service providers on their website. I used the one in Colorado once, and he did a great job.

Yep, kinda had that feeling too. Was hoping there might be a silver bullet cure but not likely.

Thanks much for the quick reply!

Dorado

Escalante-Class Member
Not directly applicable to your issues, but I just rebuilt a Terrova with water intrusion into the lower unit. Bottom line the parts are cheap and there are lots of YouTube tutorials on how to fix them. Definitely worth trying to fix instead of replacing! I was able to do the repairs easily myself and upgrade parts for less than$75…

VikingRanch

I’m amazed a trolling motor would be that sensitive to water intrusion. Seems like a poor design for something designed for the water. Sure dunking it isn’t the plan, but splashing etc is a problem isn’t it?

Dorado

Escalante-Class Member
I’m amazed a trolling motor would be that sensitive to water intrusion. Seems like a poor design for something designed for the water. Sure dunking it isn’t the plan, but splashing etc is a problem isn’t it?
Rain, splashing etc. have never been a problem in any trolling motor I have had. Submersion is a whole different thing. The motor unit is designed to be watertight, but the control unit is not intended to be submerged.

My new to me Ranger Reata was pristine, but the Terrova was glitchy. Removing the propellor revealed a birdsnest of fishing line that was not visible with the propellor on it. A quick inspection of the lower unit revealed long-term water intrusion and lots of corrosion. I was amzazed that it worked at all, one of the brushes was rusted in place! The good thing is that the parts are pretty cheap and repairs are not that complicated...

TR.

Escalante-Class Member
A thought for you: I did a bunch of research before buying my lifepo4 batteries including calling minn kota. They warned me lead acid batteries lose voltage over use while lifepo4 do not. They cautioned against running the motor above 8 for more than “say 20 minutes at a time” as they have had some smoked motors from the sustained higher input batteries. Not sure if that is the issue but I never run mine above 8 for more than 20 minutes to be on the safe side. Hope you get ‘er fixed.

TR

Rivergoer

Escalante-Class Member
Was quite the storm Saturday, we were the group in the inflatable boats. Hope you had a great trip
Yes it was! We were wondering how you guys fared the weather, so glad to see you all again in Escalante and up in Iceberg. As usual at LP, Mother Nature rewarded us all with awesome weather the next few days.

Flipper

Can you hear the motor trying to run when you try to make it go forward or reverse? If so, it could have sheared the cotter pin or whatever pin it uses to connect the propeller to the drive shaft? There is a guy in Colorado Springs that is good at repairing them. Toughest part is getting it over to him. I once sent a motor to him that I had taken to a UPS service store to have boxed and delivered. They dropped it in their distribution shop in Colorado Springs. They sent it back to me saying it had been improperly boxed for shipping and refused to reship it or honor the insurance that I had taken out on it at their suggestion?

Rivergoer

Escalante-Class Member
Update: Thanks to @Dorado and YouTube I figured let’s pull the motor apart for a look-see.

Definitely water intrusion. I’m gonna order the rebuild kit and should be good to go. Crossing fingers a simple rebuild saves me $300 for a new unit 🤞

Here are the “before” pics. Will follow-up after the parts go in to report results.
0D62BE10-DD7F-4F66-9696-FA9F4D0B5414.jpeg
49ABE8DF-9FA1-4F05-9E0F-ADD7B11EBDDF.jpeg
E6CFB679-323D-40E5-8F31-07D157C78139.jpeg
A20D4949-913D-4EAA-ABD4-468492266B49.jpeg
A2BAC0D5-9F39-4394-9DC4-81F5C3538D97.jpeg
48767E40-C534-441B-846E-8F80DC8DE399.jpeg