Memorial Weekend Buoy 25 Wall and Gunsight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon A.

Well we got into them! I brought down 12 bags of anchovies purchased at Murray Sportsman's. I am glad I did because there were none to be bought in Kanab or the marinas. We checked for the fun of it while getting fuel.

We camped in the back of Gunsight the whole weekend and on Friday morning we set out for Buoy 25 Wall to see what we could get into. We saw some fisherman already there so we approached slowly and introduced ourselves and asked if we could join in! They said of course and to get in on the action. There we met a very nice guide for Lake Powell guide Services named "Jesse" I am terrible with names so i probably got it wrong but he said he had been fishing there for the last 4 days and it had been epic so me and my buddy set up our lines with 1/4" white jig head and a piece of anchovy we also added some anise oil to it and WOW it worked great we got into them right away in the little bay next to the point on the north end of the wall. We caught 50 fish in two hours and had to go back to camp and unload into the big cooler! We went straight back and did it again! we caught 105 fish that day all in all all stripers! The next morning we had to fillet the fish we had caught so we could have more cooler room for Saturday! So after that bit of fun we went to Antelope Marina for fuel and to pick up another friend. We went back to Buoy 25 and repeated the 100+ fish! It was epic! On Sunday after cleaning the stripers we decidec that we had had enough of that and targeted Smallies and others in Gunsight....It was great we used ned rigs of all sorts of colors they were all working pretty well. We caught a really nice Largie! 3-4 pounds...We caught catfish, walleye and smallies too! It was an epic day until the wind event then all hell broke loose! My tent was flattened! LOL Anyways it was well worth the trip as always and didn't even seem that busy on saw 3 other boats at the Buoy 25 location so that was nice! Thanks to everyone who shares on here!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    564.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    762.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    609.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    651.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    685.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    442.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    683.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    778.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    764.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    547.8 KB · Views: 222
The quantity of fish you filleted is one of the more impressive things I've ever seen on this site! How many pounds would you say you ended up with? Great report and pics. Good tip on the anchovies. Fortunately we brought some from SLC, but happened to hear that they are sold out all over. Thanks for posting!

Well I'm not sure how many pounds it is but those are 12-1 gallon bags full of fillets. Yeah man my hands are swollen and sore. There was only two of us... I had bought a 12V corded fillet knife "Berkeley" and it didn't work worth a crap. LOL I ended up using my folding Kastking fillet knife for all of the fish and it worked great! I highly recommend this knife! Was a blast though needless to say we were a little tired after this one!

Yeah the anchovy thing is crazy...The gal in kanab said she heard of a strike on the fishing docks in Cali? Not sure but thats what she said.

Well I'm not sure how many pounds it is but those are 12-1 gallon bags full of fillets. Yeah man my hands are swollen and sore. There was only two of us... I had bought a 12V corded fillet knife "Berkeley" and it didn't work worth a crap. LOL I ended up using my folding Kastking fillet knife for all of the fish and it worked great! I highly recommend this knife! Was a blast though needless to say we were a little tired after this one!

Yeah the anchovy thing is crazy...The gal in kanab said she heard of a strike on the fishing docks in Cali? Not sure but thats what she said
The fact you did that without an electric fillet knife is even more impressive! For what it is worth, I've been using a $20 Hamilton Beach electric turkey carving knife for years with excellent results. It isn't battery powered of course, but I'll throw that out while the topic is fresh due to the throbbing in your hands!

Nice report! Looks like a fun weekend. Even with an electric filet knife, that's a lot of work. Kills my back to do it sitting down like that. How was the boat wake at mm25? I tried mm3 a couple weeks ago and almost rocked me sick. maybe I'm just a wimp. What were the "UFO's" you saw in 005.JPG? I saw them in St. George Friday night.

i'm really impressed you can keep all those fish cold enough too! looks like you had a great time! :)

Impressive! Well done on filleting all those fish! About 20 in and I start second guessing myself! The lady I talked to in hanksville said they are having a hard time finding the schools of anchovies. Says it happens every once in a while. So who knows 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The UFO lol cuz we deg thought we saw one was actually the starlink satellite sting. Well I hadn’t heard of it before and we thought this is it! The invasion! We were kinda tripping out! Haha had some fun with it! The boat traffic wasn’t that bad actually so the waves weren’t too bad. Or at least we didn’t notice while catching all those fish!!!
Nice report! Looks like a fun weekend. Even with an electric filet knife, that's a lot of work. Kills my back to do it sitting down like that. How was the boat wake at mm25? I tried mm3 a couple weeks ago and almost rocked me sick. maybe I'm just a wimp. What were the "UFO's" you saw in 005.JPG? I saw them in St. George Friday night.

Impressive! Well done on filleting all those fish! About 20 in and I start second guessing myself! The lady I talked to in hanksville said they are having a hard time finding the schools of anchovies. Says it happens every once in a while. So who knows 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Thanks man yeah we signed up for it! All good! But yeah the anchovy thing is nuts! Oh well hopefully it should get better.

Congrats on a very successful trip. The stripers there average about 2 pounds each so if you caught 205 stripers, that's around 400 pounds and does not include the other species you got. Catching over 400 pounds of fish in 2 days is probably better than most ocean fishing. Pretty impressive!

Congrats on a very successful trip. The stripers there average about 2 pounds each so if you caught 205 stripers, that's around 400 pounds and does not include the other species you got. Catching over 400 pounds of fish in 2 days is probably better than most ocean fishing. Pretty impressive!
For sure!! We ended up keeping 225 stripers and 10 other species. Last night I spent 4 hours washing and drying then vacuum sealing the bags of 12 fillets..... LOL love it. This is a great haul that our family and friends will enjoy for some time! My favorite part is sharing with friends and family!

Well we got into them! I brought down 12 bags of anchovies purchased at Murray Sportsman's. I am glad I did because there were none to be bought in Kanab or the marinas. We checked for the fun of it while getting fuel.

We camped in the back of Gunsight the whole weekend and on Friday morning we set out for Buoy 25 Wall to see what we could get into. We saw some fisherman already there so we approached slowly and introduced ourselves and asked if we could join in! They said of course and to get in on the action. There we met a very nice guide for Lake Powell guide Services named "Jesse" I am terrible with names so i probably got it wrong but he said he had been fishing there for the last 4 days and it had been epic so me and my buddy set up our lines with 1/4" white jig head and a piece of anchovy we also added some anise oil to it and WOW it worked great we got into them right away in the little bay next to the point on the north end of the wall. We caught 50 fish in two hours and had to go back to camp and unload into the big cooler! We went straight back and did it again! we caught 105 fish that day all in all all stripers! The next morning we had to fillet the fish we had caught so we could have more cooler room for Saturday! So after that bit of fun we went to Antelope Marina for fuel and to pick up another friend. We went back to Buoy 25 and repeated the 100+ fish! It was epic! On Sunday after cleaning the stripers we decidec that we had had enough of that and targeted Smallies and others in Gunsight....It was great we used ned rigs of all sorts of colors they were all working pretty well. We caught a really nice Largie! 3-4 pounds...We caught catfish, walleye and smallies too! It was an epic day until the wind event then all hell broke loose! My tent was flattened! LOL Anyways it was well worth the trip as always and didn't even seem that busy on saw 3 other boats at the Buoy 25 location so that was nice! Thanks to everyone who shares on here!
Brandon, hey it was great to see you at Buoy 25. We were the ones in the white and green Bayliner deck boat.

We had the same luck as you guys, we fished the same spot over 6 different days catching an average of 35 fish in 1.5 hours of fishing each day. Non stop action the whole time. We were using anchovies with a weighted hook.

FISH2RELAX ... The boat wake is not really that bad... not like mm3. You don't have the constant pounding like mm3.

Brandon, hey it was great to see you at Buoy 25. We were the ones in the white and green Bayliner deck boat.

We had the same luck as you guys, we fished the same spot over 6 different days catching an average of 35 fish in 1.5 hours of fishing each day. Non stop action the whole time. We were using anchovies with a weighted hook.
Oh ok great! yeah what a blast you all were having so much fun too! HA what a haul man! You had your work cut out for you as well filleting all those fish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back