Mechanic special.

Dave I.

Happy Jack Houseboat for sale.

She is a 50' Boatel and previous owners didn't want to re-invest in welding the pontoons. There is a story behind this if anyone wants to ask.

She is just too nice of a houseboat to scrap or part out. It has 2 sets of solar panels, a flat screen TV with built in DVD player, and a roof mounted air conditioner.

She has a pair of Mercury 60 HP Bigfoots, 2 strokes.

Pontoons do need welding but unlike anywhere else on Northern lake, we will allow people to do their own work/welding on our property.

She has been sitting for a year in dry storage but was properly winterized before her long sleep. Old gas will be removed from the fuel tanks so fresh gas can be added.

Included with the sale is a service on both motors to insure they are running right, 6 months of free storage while you work on it, and free initial launch into the lake. We do not offer commercial launch, retrieve or transport.

Boat is located in Hanksville, UT.

We are asking $9000 or best offer. Price will go up if I fix the pontoons. Call or text 970-424-4552
More pictures can be available upon request.

Attachments

botnb

Happy Jack Houseboat for sale.

She is a 50' Boatel and previous owners didn't want to re-invest in welding the pontoons. There is a story behind this if anyone wants to ask.

She is just too nice of a houseboat to scrap or part out. It has 2 sets of solar panels, a flat screen TV with built in DVD player, and a roof mounted air conditioner.

She has a pair of Mercury 60 HP Bigfoots, 2 strokes.

Pontoons do need welding but unlike anywhere else on Northern lake, we will allow people to do their own work/welding on our property.

She has been sitting for a year in dry storage but was properly winterized before her long sleep. Old gas will be removed from the fuel tanks so fresh gas can be added.

Included with the sale is a service on both motors to insure they are running right, 6 months of free storage while you work on it, and free initial launch into the lake. We do not offer commercial launch, retrieve or transport.

Boat is located in Hanksville, UT.

We are asking $9000 or best offer. Price will go up if I fix the pontoons. Call or text 970-424-4552
More pictures can be available upon request.
Hi Dave, sorry but I forgot I don't know how to send the text, without being texted first, so my email is bchapiewsky@yahoo.com -- thanks Butch

Rivergoer

With the right connections and some elbow grease this boat has a lot going for it, much of the work is already done. We brought our dilapidated 1980 Kayot back to life and it’s been a blast. Good luck with the sale @Dave I.

For any prospective buyers, here’s some inspiration and the back story on our restoration project:

Dave I.

With the right connections and some elbow grease this boat has a lot going for it, much of the work is already done. We brought our dilapidated 1980 Kayot back to life and it’s been a blast. Good luck with the sale @Dave I.

For any prospective buyers, here’s some inspiration and the back story on our restoration project:

It really does. The only thing wrong with it is the leaking pontoons. It is really nice inside AND I even stayed on it when I went to pick it up.

This boat wouldn't take much to get it back on the water and create memories for MANY more years.

I have had ALOT of interest in it so the houseboat dream on Lake Powell is not dead like some say.

bubba

A few years back a buddy decided to spend a little cash on pontoon maintenance. One thing lead to another and before long he had welded up all the bad spots. The project turned out to be many times larger by the end then at the beginning.

If the boat has limited value, you may find the cost of pontoon restoration may exceed total value, and that translates into looking at a boat worth twice as much as your true cost baseline.

On an older boat, especially a steel one, the toons are just one component of upkeep. Low entry cost does not always mean low ownership cost.

I do not know if anyone has ever explored sand blast and LINE-X as a solution for non stress point watertight sealing of older toons. We had a concrete water feature coated with line-x and decided to recoat it with a lighter color. We were concerned about the surface bonding to the new color so we hired a contractor to “remove” the old line-x layer, and this was a massive huge mistake. The line-x wore out grinders, stripping wheels and even the contractor. What was bid at 1 day of labor turned into 2 weeks. LINE-X is amazing and tougher than I ever imagined.

If I were to use line-x I would weld on a skid plate to the bottom of each toon where the toon scrapes the rock and beach. I would leave the skid area uncoated as not breach integrity of line-x, add a tapeline just above board that area and coat the hell out of the rest of the toon, bottom, sides, everywhere as one single coat.

It will not replace structural or stress values, but it is literally bomb proof - see video on company web site - they coat military buildings with this’s stuff for containment.

I am not referring to all coatings, just LiNE-X.

Dave I.

A few years back a buddy decided to spend a little cash on pontoon maintenance. One thing lead to another and before long he had welded up all the bad spots. The project turned out to be many times larger by the end then at the beginning.

If the boat has limited value, you may find the cost of pontoon restoration may exceed total value, and that translates into looking at a boat worth twice as much as your true cost baseline.

On an older boat, especially a steel one, the toons are just one component of upkeep. Low entry cost does not always mean low ownership cost.

I do not know if anyone has ever explored sand blast and LINE-X as a solution for non stress point watertight sealing of older toons. We had a concrete water feature coated with line-x and decided to recoat it with a lighter color. We were concerned about the surface bonding to the new color so we hired a contractor to “remove” the old line-x layer, and this was a massive huge mistake. The line-x wore out grinders, stripping wheels and even the contractor. What was bid at 1 day of labor turned into 2 weeks. LINE-X is amazing and tougher than I ever imagined.

If I were to use line-x I would weld on a skid plate to the bottom of each toon where the toon scrapes the rock and beach. I would leave the skid area uncoated as not breach integrity of line-x, add a tapeline just above board that area and coat the hell out of the rest of the toon, bottom, sides, everywhere as one single coat.

It will not replace structural or stress values, but it is literally bomb proof - see video on company web site - they coat military buildings with this’s stuff for containment.

I am not referring to all coatings, just LiNE-X.
To be fair, EVERY boat has a has a limited value but I have personally seen someone pay $15,000 for a pontoon replacement on a houseboat that is 33 years old. I've also seen a $10,000 Mercury low emissions get put into a run-a-bout with a value of about $3500. Just goes back to the much repeated phrase that give a description as to what a boat really is. lol

With this houseboat, the previous owner paid $8000 +/- for the sand blasting, welding and re-coat. The boat was then launched and within 24 hours, the boat was listing and still taking on water. Went back to the company and was told they would have to pay for the whole process again. There was no warrantee. It was at this point, they decided the boat had reached it's value point for them and decided to part ways with it.

I did actually think of the "what if" of using a type of bed liner such as LINE-X but my fear with a product like that would be a false sense of security. Look at it this way. LINE-X puts out a great product but does a rock hard, full coverage "shell" that covers the entire surface. While it would be protected from the outside, there is still rust inside the pontoon. The false sense of security would come from being on the water for several years, not knowing what would be happening to the steel under this coating. Given enough time, what would be left would be "swiss cheese" of the metal pontoon while you thought everything is alright because the "shell" is intact. Then, if you hit rock with the "shell" and punch a hole in it, the metal underneath (swiss cheese) would take water in like a noodle strainer. Now, if you can guarantee you'll never hit a rock or bottom, it would probably last a long time, or at least until the metal is completely gone under the coating and then the LINE-X has to bear the burden of the structural load of the non-existent steel structure.

But, keep in mind that an 8' truck bed has about 85 square feet of surface that costs is about $500 (without the UV protectant added) to cover. A 50' Boatel has over 1000 square feet of pontoon surface to cover and since I would think the UV would be smart choice to have added at the lake, and the service call for the application, I could see the LINE-X costing $8-10,000 to get applied. With that being said, if it was a permanent repair and would last 10-15 years, problem free, many might say it would be worth it. But if you already have rust inside the pontoons, without the routine maintenance, I could see issues starting long before that.

We had a steel pontoon boat once that someone coated with fiberglass. We used it for a few years but then it started to take on water. I peeled the fiberglass off and there was no steel left under that fiberglass shell. It was paper thin "swiss cheese". That is the danger of coating a steel pontoon with a hard outer shell and I wouldn't recommend it.

The tar coating (or bitoxy) that is the standard for these boats right now allow you to detect small holes and get them fixed before it becomes a catastrophic leak.

Yes, I do have this boat listed pretty cheap but that is to make it fair for the next owner and it will allow more money to be spent to make repairs/improvements without having to break the bank. The price is also open to offers. Always open to negotiations.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited:

Dave I.

Hello Butch, I'm have a little problem loading the pictures onto my e-mail. Wanted to give you a heads up just so you don't think I forgot about ya.
I think I got them to go thru Butch. Let me know if you got them.