Massive storm dumps more than 6 feet of snow on this Colorado town

Waterbaby

Staff member
http://www.imfromdenver.com/more-th...on-this-colorado-town-and-more-is-on-the-way/

Massive storm dumps more than 6 feet of snow on this Colorado town

Gunnison Valley Schools closed Monday for the first time since 1970 because of the extreme amount of snow that is continuing to accumulate.

Western State Colorado University in Gunnison also closed its doors.

Roughly 6 feet of snow have fallen in the past seven days in Crested Butte. And another 30 inches of snow could fall by Thursday morning.

The Crested Butte ski resort closed early on Monday out of concern for guests and employees.

“Wet and heavy snowfall combined with increasing winds has led to the closure,” officials said on Twitter.

Read more here: http://kdvr.com/2017/01/09/bullseye-crested-butte-gunnison-valley-buried-in-snow/

Waterbaby

Staff member
Happy for the snow, but the elk and deer herds are having a real hard time. Two sides to every coin.
I know I saw a video last week of a herd in Colorado bunched up on a I70....... I wish they would drop hay for them. We might have known a rough winter was coming by watching the elk, I follow Black Canyon Animal Sanctuary in Colorado and she noted in the fall how surprised she was to suddenly see a lot of elk at her fence line, said it was unusual so early in the season to see them down so low.

Waterbaby

Staff member
Not sure if this link will work, but I will give it a try.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn

A herd of elk between Gunnison and Monarch Pass. This winter, while great for the lake, will be brutal on wildlife. :(
Ryan I follow Black Canyon Animal Sanctuary on Facebook and she posted this morning when her husband went out to feed their cattle and horses yesterday the elk nearby all jumped their fence to try and get at the hay, they had to have one of their dogs chase them off - Colorado is very strick on allowing the feeding by private parties of the elk...... she said this morning she saw a cow elk with it's young walking through and it looked like both were struggling to stay alive. They said elk cannot eat regular hay - it messes with their intestines, but there should be something the state could drop to help these herds..... this is a brutal winter for wildlife...

John P Funk

Ryan I follow Black Canyon Animal Sanctuary on Facebook and she posted this morning when her husband went out to feed their cattle and horses yesterday the elk nearby all jumped their fence to try and get at the hay, they had to have one of their dogs chase them off - Colorado is very strick on allowing the feeding by private parties of the elk...... she said this morning she saw a cow elk with it's young walking through and it looked like both were struggling to stay alive. They said elk cannot eat regular hay - it messes with their intestines, but there should be something the state could drop to help these herds..... this is a brutal winter for wildlife...
CPAW(Colorado Parks and Wildlife) had an informational article in our local paper last year describing the problems with feeding wildlife in the winter. The elk and deer change their digestive system to browsing(eating less nutrient foods such as dry grass/bark/twigs) for the winter months. This has two benefits(they said), it requires less water to digest, and is really all that is available in the wild most of the winter. Now, once they have changed over to this style of digestion, if they get high protein forage(alfalfa hay, etc) it requires so much extra water(also typically less available in the winter) to digest that they actually die of dehydration. It really is best to let nature take its course, though it is occasionally difficult to bear. As a hunter it is hard to watch, but the strong will survive and that's better for the herds in the long run.

Ryan

Interesting. Colorado also has pretty strict laws regarding harassment of wildlife. I wonder which they would enforce if push came to shove. Feeding the elk against regulations or the harassment of the dogs.

Not trying to be disrespectful here. Just very concerned for the elk.

Waterbaby

Staff member
Interesting. Colorado also has pretty strict laws regarding harassment of wildlife. I wonder which they would enforce if push came to shove. Feeding the elk against regulations or the harassment of the dogs.

Not trying to be disrespectful here. Just very concerned for the elk.
a) It was not harassment by dogs, it was one dog trained for it's job. b) if they allowed the elk to feed on their hay they are violating strict laws in the state on this. The elk jumped their fence to get in because they are hungry. They would love nothing more than to be able to feed them, but cannot for several reasons, one being the law and two being the fact hay this time of year in Colorado is scarce and expensive they have to feed their own animals. c) the elk left and went down to the river - it was later she saw the mother and it's young struggling in the snow. We are all concerned for the elk, but as John explained above there is a reason for the laws - and nature is cruel, especially on the winter.