• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Major Disappointment! - Ed Gerdemann

Edward Gerdemann

Yesterday I got a call from Cabela's stating my boat had finally arrived. I went down there today to check it out. It was the right hull, engine, trolling motor and depthfinders, however it was the wrong interior configuration. I had ordered a Ranger VS 1882 Reata model with two rear jump seats, and Ranger sent an Angler model which just has a solid rear deck with no jump seats. I thought about accepting it, however I'm spending a lot of money for this boat and felt I ought to have the model I ordered. The manager tried to make it sound like it was my fault the order got screwed up until he found my e-mail which confirmed a telephone conversation which stated I definitely wanted the Reata model because of those seats. If he had offered me a discount on the boat I might have taken it, but he would not offer anything thus I had him order another boat. The projected shipping date is sometime in January, but we all know how that can go. If they get this one wrong I'll definitely demand my deposit back and go elsewhere.

I'm just frustrated because this is just another case of a retailer or service provider getting something wrong. At least with me this seems to be the norm these days. I'm just hoping when I get my hip replacement this winter that the doctor replaces the correct hip! Knowing my luck ........... :cry:

Ed Gerdemann

treetop

Had a similar experience with tracker, ordered it from the factory just the way I wanted it. It didn’t come, it didn’t come, it isn’t come.finally they said it was here.
I go to get it and, it’s the wrong color.
I ask what the he!!, they said it is what you ordered.
no way.
they finally admitted that they has missed mine up getting it of the mold.
i let them talk me into accepting it because “ it’ll take months again to start over”
I’ve hated that boat for years.
way to stick to your guns Ed
Its your money, make them give you what you want

greyhackle

Sorry about the boat😩 I total understand about the frustration ordering and getting what you ordered now days.
About your surgery. One of my friends had surgery a few years ago on his shoulder. He took a black magic marker and wrote on the other one ( it’s the other shoulder) in big black letters. They got it right.😆

Jim Sargent

Ed,
Sorry about the bad experience. I agree that you should hold out for the rear jump seats. One of my guests last month had recent back surgery. He actually found the ride in the jump seat at the back superior to the expensive cushioned seats further forward in my Crestliner.
When I had a hip replacement a few years ago they marked the hip with indelible ink two days prior to the procedure. It is now far better than my other hip. I am very glad I had it replaced. Good luck"

viking842000

It is so dang terrible to try and order anything today. It took 6 months for my Reata 212 to get here last year. Labor shortage is a real opportunity as well as supply chain. I manage a retail operation and it is just horrible today. I feel bad for you Ed as I went through this last year. I am ever so THANKFUL however to ultimately have my dream boat so hang in there bud...

cfulton

I oredered a new GMC Yukon Denali with the specific option I wanted/needed. After several months waiting they built it and sent the spec sheet. It had many fewer of the options I'd ordered and the wrong interior. I declined it but took more than a month to get my deposit back because "it's in the system and we have to follow proceedures". Needless to say they are on my "don't recommend" list. Chuck

flowerbug

i'm glad you stuck to your desires as like you say for the money you're due what you want and perhaps even need.

my own experiences with a lot of things are similar, if it can get screwed up it will and i dread any kind of medical issues because of how often i catch things going wrong.

i think a lot of businesses just assume the customer will accept it if they screw up and not raise a fuss.

i only do not fuss about food at places - i'll walk out before sending food back, but i do tell the wait-staff why i'm leaving and i tip them if the problem was the kitchen and not the service.

Bill Sampson

Escalante-Class Member
I oredered a new GMC Yukon Denali with the specific option I wanted/needed. After several months waiting they built it and sent the spec sheet. It had many fewer of the options I'd ordered and the wrong interior. I declined it but took more than a month to get my deposit back because "it's in the system and we have to follow proceedures". Needless to say they are on my "don't recommend" list. Chuck
I had a similar situation with a 3/4 ton Silverado diesel truck I ordered. I still remember the salesman saying "If I can save you money on a model you don't want, a color you don't like and options you don't need would you buy this truck. I told hem there were too many negatives in that sentence.

Outside

Yesterday I got a call from Cabela's stating my boat had finally arrived. I went down there today to check it out. It was the right hull, engine, trolling motor and depthfinders, however it was the wrong interior configuration. I had ordered a Ranger VS 1882 Reata model with two rear jump seats, and Ranger sent an Angler model which just has a solid rear deck with no jump seats. I thought about accepting it, however I'm spending a lot of money for this boat and felt I ought to have the model I ordered. The manager tried to make it sound like it was my fault the order got screwed up until he found my e-mail which confirmed a telephone conversation which stated I definitely wanted the Reata model because of those seats. If he had offered me a discount on the boat I might have taken it, but he would not offer anything thus I had him order another boat. The projected shipping date is sometime in January, but we all know how that can go. If they get this one wrong I'll definitely demand my deposit back and go elsewhere.

I'm just frustrated because this is just another case of a retailer or service provider getting something wrong. At least with me this seems to be the norm these days. I'm just hoping when I get my hip replacement this winter that the doctor replaces the correct hip! Knowing my luck ........... :cry:

Ed Gerdemann
Can't imagine the let down. Thanks for sharing, If i'm lucky enough to order something new someday, I will keep all these posts in mind!!

Edward Gerdemann

You should have gone to Robertson's in SLC....
I live in Phoenix so going to SLC was not a viable option. The Cabela's here in Glendale is the only Ranger dealer in Arizona to my knowledge. What's ironic is my wife had a doctor appointment today. She had a card that showed the day of the appointment, time and location of the appointment. When she got to the office they had no record of it, and they had even called her a few days prior to confirm it! They said they could get her in at another office some 15 miles away. She declined. I agree that many retailers/service providers think if they screw things up we'll just go along with it. More people need to stick to their guns. When it hurts them in the pocket book they'll pay attention.

I just wrote Johnny Morris at BPS about my problem and asked that my order be tracked down and expedited. I cited my longtime patronage of both Bass Pro and Cabela's and Ranger Boats. I've heard Johnny is a pretty down to earth guy. Maybe this will help. 😣

Ed Gerdemann

Meatwagon

Escalante-Class Member
I'm curious Ed, is the boat you ordered an aluminum hull? I was at Cabelas this morning and they had 2 vs1882 models sitting outside at the entrance. One without the jump seats in the rear deck and one without. The one without has the 175hp mercury and the other has a 150hp. Unless it was a special color you were wanting, I would think they would swap motors and fill your order. Just a thought.

Edward Gerdemann

The one with the 175 without the jump seats, if it is white, is the one Ranger sent for me. As for the other one, I don't like the color as it would be much harder to keep clean and I want a 175, not a 150. They would not change out the engine anyway. There is also a little bit of damage on the hull. :(

Ed Gerdemann

Meatwagon

Escalante-Class Member
I agree with you about that Grey color, surprised that they wouldn't rig that boat if did want it however. That's big business these days I guess. Definitely should have exactly what you ordered anyway. Stick to your guns, hopefully it will get here soon.

David A Dexter

Hi Ed, ever since Bass Pro Shops acquired Cabela's it's no longer Cabela's. I recommend Pro's Choice Marine in Warsaw, Mo. I bought a 2021 Ranger VX 1788 deep water all welded aluminum boat from them and I can tell you THAT's a REAL bass boat dealer, including all the major brands. It was such a great experience that I will buy my next boat from them too. Give them a call, you won't be sorry. Yes, it takes two days to get there, but it's worth it. It's a giant dealership and it's bass boats only. I may have the only Ranger VX in Arizona. Everywhere I go with the boat it draws people, including bass pros who've never seen one and they all want to examine the boat, but I can tell you it's an awesome boat.

Ryan

Escalante-Class Member
I've never ordered a boat, but I have ordered cars. They do that online, and you sign the order sheet, printed with all the options you specd. (I did it just today).

Is that the way it works with a boat? If so, how can they get the equipment wrong?

Meatwagon

Escalante-Class Member
I've never ordered a boat, but I have ordered cars. They do that online, and you sign the order sheet, printed with all the options you specd. (I did it just today).

Is that the way it works with a boat? If so, how can they get the equipment wrong?
That's how I ordered my triton, went on their website and built the boat with every option and custom color scheme I wanted. Took the printed copy of the build sheet to my local dealer and they ordered it exactly that way with the exception of the depth finder which they said was no longer available and was replaced with the new model.