Lone Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron McKinney

Went to Lone Rock Thursday 10/25. We launched at Wahweap and as I went by the fish cleaning station I saw a bunch of DNR guys and decided to ask about fishing. Wayne and his fishing partner were just leaving, but took the time to share some info. We spent the afternoon trolling and metering near Lone Rock. Didn't do very well and didn't see much on the meter. Things went about the same Friday morning, So with only a few fish for our efforts we decided to try the dam. We found things much better there. Lots of yearling stripers (2 taco fish) with some larger mixed in. All of the larger fish were skinny and were sunk. Saturday our daughter and here 2 boys joined us and we headed back to the damn. Had a good day about the same success as Friday. Sunday I went out by Lone Rock and trolled for a couple of hours and didn't see or catch anything so I decided to go back too the motorhome and see if my bride wanted to go to the dam, as I neared the no wake buoys the screen on the meter lit up pretty good. I had a spoon on one rod and dropped down and hooked a skinny striper right away. Went on in to see if my bride wanted to try these fish and she said no so back out I went. I start fishing anchovies at 65' over the meter marks and start catching fish. Some of the fish were yearlings and others were larger almost all were in good shape. The best fish went about 6-7 pounds and when I brought it up he had a bunch of friends with him, all about the same size. I went in and picked up my wife and she got to catch one nice one and then they were gone. I looked around a little with no success, and went in to clean fish. When I first found them I was marking what I believe were large schools of shad, I sure wish I had seen this earlier when our daughter and the boys were still there. All in all a good trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back