Live report

BrianID

I headed up to the San Juan from Wawheap early this morning. Water temperature was 67-69 degrees. I stayed in narrow sections of the San Juan to minimize my exposure to the wind today. I’ve fished Lake Powell 100+ days over the years and todays winds were likely the heaviest that I’ve experienced on the lake.

My main goal today was to get my fix on high numbers of smallmouth and they did disappoint. I counted 305 fish today.

I caught them on everything I tried. Ned rig, Yamamoto 4” grub, deep diving crankbaits, lipless crankbaits. Weightless senkos, Carolina rigged lizards, top water baits, Texas rigged large plastic craw to target bigger bass. The Ned rig and Yamamoto 4” grub were the most effective for numbers. The lipless crankbait burned fast along wind blown shores was also very effective. Top water was better than expected considering water temp hasn’t hit 70 degrees in any place I’ve checked today.

Many of the bass I caught were close to the shore and less than 10 feet deep but I did catch some in 20 and 30+ feet of water.

I only put a tape on a couple of the fish but I doubt any of the smallmouth were over 16”. Biggest bass was a largemouth around 18”. Most of the smallmouth were 9”-13” and not many over 14”.

B7DDAE40-5EA5-4643-A6BD-BCA9D54824B4.jpeg

BrianID

I had another great day. The morning bite was a little slower for me than yesterday. I think the cold front made them a little less active in the morning. Sometimes it would take 5 or more casts with a Ned rig before getting a hit. In the afternoon the fish activity picked up and it was back to getting hit with Ned rig or Yamamoto grub almost every cast. I can’t complain about the fishing being slow because I still caught 200+ fish even though I spent half of the day tossing top water, big deep diving crankbaits and exploring the upper San Juan.

Mudline started on the lower end of the Great Bend and water was slightly stained a couple miles below that. I went as far as the middle of the Great Bend were the channel was only 20 feet deep. I caught a few in the muddy water but it wasn’t very productive for me. If catching fish was more important than exploring I wouldn’t have spent a couple hours fishing the “dirty” water.
296D2B10-7706-4CB4-9A69-B3E5A23547F3.jpeg

After two hard days of fishing. I’m starting to get physical worn out. I don’t think I’ll fish as hard for numbers tomorrow. With Ned rig my average bass was around 10”-12”. With 5” senkos, large crankbaits and top water baits the average size was 2”-3” longer. Biggest bass today was again a largemouth around 18”. Biggest smallmouth was around 16”. The bass don’t seem any longer than previous years but there are more fat health bass that weigh considerably more for their length than previous years. The last image shows what a Ned Rig looks like after catching 50+ fish. I had one Z man Ned plastic last 100+ fish. First time I’ve had any plastic hold up with that many fish.
090C276C-E9E5-42EE-935D-A76D31DB74D5.jpegDD9639F6-8BDD-461D-ADA1-91804BB90C2D.jpegEDBC9ED6-9242-4F1E-A258-186F6C8D2DB6.jpeg

thekid26

this is great, thank you for the report. heading to powell with some kids that like to fish and was wondering if you would give a secret or two away to some novices? is there an actual name for a lure that you used that we could buy?

this is great, thank you for the report. heading to powell with some kids that like to fish and was wondering if you would give a secret or two away to some novices? is there an actual name for a lure that you used that we could buy?
His last pictures shows a ned rig. Google "z man ned rig" you can order online or sportsmans carries them. Lots of info on this site or google if you search ned rig. Fish the ned rig slower then you would any other jig. Ned rigs are perfect for kids as slow real from a beginner seams just as deadly as an expert's far more technical retrieve.

Last edited:

fastarget

Keep it up Brian, just got here on the bullfrog side , taking kids out tomorrow, probably wont go that far south however.
glad you had a good time.

We got here Wednesday and are camping in Wahweap. We have had spotty success in Wahweap bay and Warm Creek areas. Warm Creek has been our most successful fishing so far.
We have been pulling in big smallies and big LM as well, they are looking really healthy.

Padre Bay was good, but not great. It felt like we really had to work to get the bite going. I imagine all of this is because of the storm system that has been coming through recently.

Our top performing lures have been the 2.5" - 3" tubes in watermelon and green pumpkin colors, Neds in Goby Bryant, The Deal, Hot snakes, dirty rice -Googan ned. Our biggest LM was 3lb and was the caught on a craw/creature bait in the watermelon color.

We are here till Sunday, and are going to make a push up the San Juan, so we hope the wind can stay calm enough for our pontoon boat to make the journey out of wahweap.
We are in a black sun tracker bass barge if anyone is out in the area, stop by and say hi !

BrianID

I don’t think there really is any one best lure for Lake Powell. I’ve caught them on at least 20 different lures this trip. Over the years I’ve caught most my bass out of Powell on 4” Yamamoto grubs. If you are going to buy only one lure, this would be my pick. Watermelon/BLK & Red is my favorite color but honestly any colored similar to a crawfish would be just as good. This trip I’ve mostly caught them on a Ned rig in California craw, Canadian craw and chartreuse/watermelon. All colors have seemed to work evenly well. I think the Yamamoto grub has been just as good and possibly better than the Ned Rig for me this trip but the Ned rig is much more durable.

If I was fishing with kids I would consider setting them up with a 4” Yamamoto senko or 4” yum dinger rigged wieghtless/weedless. If rigged properly weedless, it is very hard to snag. Watermelon red is my favorite but any green/brown color is likely just as effective.
Whopper Ploppers would be an easy and effective top water bait for kids to fish but they are kind of expensive around $12-$15. You could also get a cheap small white buzzbait.

A lipless crankbait has also been very effective for me this trip. I been using the strikeking red eyed shad but there are many other good lipless crankbaits out there.

The most important part of catching fish at Lake Powell is location. The best smallmouth habitat in Lake Powell are rock piles. If you get on right spot, you can catch them every cast. Having good boat control makes it much easier to fish effectively, especially in the wind.

BrianID

I had another great day. I was mostly trying to target bigger bass and explore new place but still ended up catching over 200 fish today. Water temperature was anywhere from 64-69. Most areas were around 68 degrees. Started the morning catching them with top water fishing with a whopper ploppers, poppers and stick baits “walking the dog”. Ned rig, senkos and Yamamoto 4” grubs were my best lures for numbers.
Late morning I had an amazing 30 minutes for bigger bass. I that short period of time I put 5 big for Powell bass in the boat as well as a couple nice sized Walleye.
C86D8880-2E7B-47A7-83D1-002F0E273CA5.jpegAD18113E-26ED-4374-BB28-2349DC518E4E.jpeg4E3CB1C2-977D-44F2-8593-920EF2370280.jpeg83793296-480D-4404-83CB-4669A2140AF2.jpeg
Since I have never fished several of the canyons between San Juan and Dangling Rope, I decided I was going to catch at least one fish out of each canyon on my way back down lake. Many of these canyons are not really worth spending much time fishing but I did manage to catch at at least one fish in more than 10 different canyons.

I did catch one really fat smallmouth that I thought was worth a picture.
8FDAA864-F164-4674-BC8D-975125996143.jpeg01B0786B-079D-4954-9BCF-9BE0F063BF02.jpeg

I also caught my biggest smallmouth and largemouth of the trip. The largemouth was just under 20” and the smallmouth was just under 18”.
65D30E17-4BA2-4A09-92C4-CD0C2543BF90.jpeg
I caught this bluegill and walleye on the same crankbait on the same point. The hook was inside the bluegills mouth. I don’t know if he thought he was going to eat it or maybe he was protecting his nest.
FD9F4EBF-F1B4-46DF-92F9-F04D3A49CE69.jpeg5FC30A1A-2F51-4D71-8185-C1D7E0A6CB6B.jpeg
I did catch one striper with a Ned Rig on the “up lake” point on the mouth of Navajo canyon. I tried some anchovies for close to 30 minutes after catching the one striper did have a bite or see anything on the graph.
DB992AB9-0F3E-44E4-9A79-4D1293ACEEC4.jpeg
I’m camped out on the up lake side of the castle rock cut tonight. I’ve caught three 18” strippers and 2 catfish on anchovies after dark. Water depth I’m catching them in is around 20-25 feet with channel depth of 50 feet not far away.
F7315544-47AD-46A0-A469-B78F42D8EE40.jpeg
Smallmouth fishing is much better in the San Juan but I did find some good smallmouth spots on the lower lake too. They are just small spots and only good for 5-15 fish. In the San Juan, almost everywhere is a good spot.

Scheadhunter

Great live “on the spot” report. We experienced similar fishing but found the 5 inch power grub out fished the 4 inch. They both worked great. But for some reason, the 5 inch was the profile they wanted

BrianID

I finished my trip yesterday morning. I fished Padre Bay and Warm Creek. Fishing was still great but I had to put in 10 X the effort for every bite on the lower lake compared to the upper lake. I can't complain because catching a fish every 10 to 20 casts is still great fishing. Caught them on topwater, lipless crankbait, ned rigs and grubs. It was a great trip. I'll be back in a couple weeks for a few days of fishing with my dad.
03959D8D-F944-4B00-AA66-D941B647072B.jpeg886E8186-09C0-471E-AE0A-3F7F8803FB90.jpeg

Scheadhunter,

I never tried any 5" grubs but did catch them well on Berkley Chigger Craws. I also used 3" Yamamoto grubs and they worked great too.

BrianID

Dungee Fishing,

The mid lake area has many good places to fish. You won't have any trouble identifying good areas to fish but if you want any ideas for bass, stripers or camping areas you can send me a message.

Dungee Fishing

Dungee Fishing,

The mid lake area has many good places to fish. You won't have any trouble identifying good areas to fish but if you want any ideas for bass, stripers or camping areas you can send me a message.
Been scouring google earth, looking for longer shallower points to target. I know the lake really when down to and up the San Juan but not south of that. It will be a good scouting trip, Peter, Andrew and I are planning a week long lake wide fall trip.

We finished our trip on Sunday after we decided to ditch our original decision of camping in Wahweap, and made the long ride up to the San Juan. It was well worth the 3 hour trip.
We were averaging a catch on almost every 3rd cast. The wind on Friday made it more tricky to get into a good spot long enough to make some good casts from the pontoon boat, but even with the wind we caught a ton of smallies all day and a ton Sunday morning before heading back to Wahweap.
We caught some cats Friday night on hotdogs bits within 30 seconds of making the casts. I pulled in a carp on a perfect perch ned. We used neds almost exclusively and found the mud bug, coppertruese, and the deal to perform the best. Water temps ranged from 67 to 69. We had some luck on poppers, craws and 5" senkos.
We will definitely be going back to the San Juan👍

Attachments

thekid26

I don’t think there really is any one best lure for Lake Powell. I’ve caught them on at least 20 different lures this trip. Over the years I’ve caught most my bass out of Powell on 4” Yamamoto grubs. If you are going to buy only one lure, this would be my pick. Watermelon/BLK & Red is my favorite color but honestly any colored similar to a crawfish would be just as good. This trip I’ve mostly caught them on a Ned rig in California craw, Canadian craw and chartreuse/watermelon. All colors have seemed to work evenly well. I think the Yamamoto grub has been just as good and possibly better than the Ned Rig for me this trip but the Ned rig is much more durable.

If I was fishing with kids I would consider setting them up with a 4” Yamamoto senko or 4” yum dinger rigged wieghtless/weedless. If rigged properly weedless, it is very hard to snag. Watermelon red is my favorite but any green/brown color is likely just as effective.
Whopper Ploppers would be an easy and effective top water bait for kids to fish but they are kind of expensive around $12-$15. You could also get a cheap small white buzzbait.

A lipless crankbait has also been very effective for me this trip. I been using the strikeking red eyed shad but there are many other good lipless crankbaits out there.

The most important part of catching fish at Lake Powell is location. The best smallmouth habitat in Lake Powell are rock piles. If you get on right spot, you can catch them every cast. Having good boat control makes it much easier to fish effectively, especially in the wind.
This is amazing and I’m going to go to school on all of this and this is incredibly helpful!! Thank you for the effort!!!