Last Week on the Lake

Discussion in 'Lake Powell Fishing' started by wayne gustaveson, Nov 6, 2016.

1. wayne gustaveson

wayne gustaveson Administrator Staff Member

We used gill nets at Good Hope Bay last week and caught 100s of fish. it is very productive up there for all species. Fishing in the afternoon was difficult as fish with lots of forage tend to eat on their own schedule. We did find one striper boil at dusk in Red Canyon. We had fished for 2 hours without much success when the attitude changed and stripers ate anything that hit the water for a half hour.

Midweek we moved to the sterile clear water found at Rincon and found a lot less fish in our nets with only a few skinny stripers, quite a few smallmouth and some catfish.

Tomorrow we go to the San Juan (Piute Bay) for 2 days of netting then we finish up with 2 days of netting in Wahweap Bay. With that the yearly samples will be complete. Then we will work this winter on analyzing the data and getting ready for next spring.

Thanks to our volunteers Mike, Lisa and Dennis. It made the work go much faster. lisaghbh.jpg

Attached Files:

Dungee Fishing likes this.
  2. Cliff

Cliff Well-Known Member

Wayne
    What days will you be in Wahweap Bay? I may have time available to help out.
    Can you PM me as I have another question for you about it?
    Thanks
    Cliff
    Greemehaven

3. wayne gustaveson

We will pull nets on Thursday and Friday mornings

4. Dungee Fishing

Dungee Fishing Well-Known Member

Wayne, were you guys able to make it up towards Trachyte/White at all?

5. Cliff

Cliff Well-Known Member

Where would I meet you guys?
    What do I bring? Do I bring my boat and meet on the water?
    Looks like I could do either day if needed.
    I would like to learn more about this fishery and this would be fun.

6. wayne gustaveson

Dungee- I did not make it to Trachyte due to wind in the afternoon. 2 in our group did go north and they did not find any surface activity. It seems that surface fishing declined mid week and it may have been weather related. Now that we are gone it is probably wide open again. We did find a school feeding actively on the surface near the left side of the battleship rock at the mouth of Red Canyon. They went from docile and showing no interest to intense activity as soon as the sun went behind the mountain on Tuesday evening.

On Monday afternoon we drifted in the open bay in front of the entrance to Blue Notch and were able to catch some really nice 93-4 pound) stripers on spoons at 35 feet. The wind moved us along at a high rate of speed and we found a few pods on stripers on the shallow bench that were cooperative.

7. wayne gustaveson

Cliff - We will leave Stateline ramp at about 7:45 AM Thursday and Friday. Our boat will be full but you can tag along in your boat and watch the netting process. We will have nets set all the way from the Sand King to well behind Lone Rock. It takes 2 hours or more to gather the fish, then we head to the fish cleaning station to weigh, measure and collect other data. You are more than welcome to join us there as well. We will have all the equipment needed so just bring a positive attitude.

8. JeffinFlag

JeffinFlag Active Member

Wayne,

I too will be present...willing to assist if you should need aything?

I'll be in the Crestliner. Won't crowd you- but I am curious....

9. wayne gustaveson

Cliff we have one empty seat in the net boat. If you would like to come and get your hands fishy we will meet you at the top of Stateline ramp at 8:15 AM tomorrow.

10. wayne gustaveson

Jeff - we will look for you at 8:15 AM as well. We may have room for 2 still waiting for word on one of our regulars.

11. Cliff

Cliff Well-Known Member

Looks like I hooked my boat up to my truck an hour too early
    I'll just drag it there and leave it in the lot at the top of the ramp.
    See you then. I'll be there by 8 AM. Red truck, white and red boat.