• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Last Batch Old River Photos

Dougie

This is the last of the old photos to share.

1. Looking up the cleft in the rock
2. Soda Gulch is now called 50-mile and a glimpse of opening in Gregory Arch might become visible soon if water keeps dropping
3. From the air not far above Bullfrog. Talk about S-Turns!
4. Just a bit farther upriver from photo 3. One of the most popular today.
5. This is as big as the rapids got in the Glen! These were at the mouth of Ticaboo (the canyon where old Cass Hite had his ranch)
6. Heading down river from Good Hope to the highest wall in the canyon...the top is 1000 feet from river elevation
7. Walking up the Escalante just above its confluence with the Colorado
8. Looking up Annies Canyon--sure is prettier and more inviting today!

Attachments

• Hole in the Rock.jpg
    Hole in the Rock.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Upstream from under Gregory Soda Gulch (50 mile).jpg
    Upstream from under Gregory Soda Gulch (50 mile).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Crystal Springs.png
    Crystal Springs.png
    441.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Forgotten.png
    Forgotten.png
    445.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Ticaboo rapids.png
    Ticaboo rapids.png
    424.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Tapestry.png
    Tapestry.png
    455.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Escalante.jpg
    Escalante.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Annies.jpg
    Annies.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 169

svivian

I’ve loved all of these. Thanks, @Dougie

@BartsPlace are there enough photos that people have that there could be a photo category made for historic imagery?
Yes, this is a great idea to include all of the old photos that have been shared on this website and consolidated into one place. I know there have been older threads that also had images at full pool, old hite marina, San Juan marina, etc...

jayfromtexas

Thanks for posting these. It's cool to see what was there before the dam. I've found the Doc Marston online collection at The Huntington Library pretty interesting. Lots of great photos of Lower Cataract and it's rapids.

BartsPlace

Staff member
@BartsPlace are there enough photos that people have that there could be a photo category made for historic imagery?
It has crossed my mind. I wouldn't mind creating a thread (similar to the "Pictures at full pool") for those images, but they would need to be exclusively your own photos - not collected from around the internet or other publications that may constitute someone else's copyrighted intellectual property. So, given the high burden of managing that compliance, I've decided to just let it play out in personal posts rather than an official WW-organized effort.

SkibumUT

After someone mentioned the Marston Collection, I’ve been browsing the Huntington library, Northern Arizona University library, the University of Utah library most of the evening. These aren’t mine, but I found several that I were really fun to look at. Several of these are pre dam, some are as the Lake fills and some are at full pool-ish for comparison.

1- Oblique aerial looking north at the dam construction with Wahweap Creek in the back ground.

2- Oblique aerial of the dam looking north to Wahweap Marina recently for comparison

3- Gunsight Butte from the 1940s looking west. Popular view is obviously from Ahlstrom looking east.

4- Looking west approximately from above the current launch ramp at Halls Crossing.

5- similar location to #4, but looking south west toward the Halls Crossing Wall. The dugway road down to the old launch is in the foreground. I think this is as the water is rising.

6- riverside at the old Halls Crossing launch. I think this was after it started filling.

7- another view of the Halls Crossing Wall

6AB48805-1FA2-4615-A5A5-7F41287605A9.jpeg7A1D68D4-FC9A-4D1C-9599-1F981C4D620C.jpeg3B2ECD30-8371-472B-9BB8-AC853DD1EA76.jpegC0278A8C-D13F-4D05-9CBB-82A982FA0FDA.jpegC5B91B30-8E4C-4235-B4E0-308364F79184.jpeg2D1A7E47-F4CE-4D6E-84B4-DE7D93E47942.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E1A1B5E-F6C6-405A-95F6-B5A050BEC597.jpeg
    0E1A1B5E-F6C6-405A-95F6-B5A050BEC597.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

SkibumUT

A few more (again from the same sites as before)....

1- Oblique aerial looking south on the Halls Creek Wall, the mouth of Halls Creek and Lost Eden.

2- Oblique aerial looking south Bullfrog Creek. I love this view with Halls in the background and the bluffs by the BF bouy field to the right.

3- Oblique aerial looking north at the mouth of Bullfrog Creek. Kind of interesting to see what might be the shallow spot that was shown in the photos by @Pegasus just to the right of the mouth, above the short Canyon walls.

4- Cottonwoods in Forgotten Canyon being submerged as the lake fills. They’re still holding on for dear life. 😂

5- neat view of Devils Potty down by Lake Canyon as the water rises.

6- I think this is Wasp House in Lake Canyon as the water level approaches.

6013064E-2712-4795-B413-34122B0933E2.jpeg72FA162D-9A6F-419C-9FBC-2B6B68F484D5.jpegB2BEE85C-734B-4696-90E8-19B4562945C8.jpegCFCA3EBE-3879-4476-AD21-D225E16383F0.jpeg7F9A2EEE-5DF5-4238-8516-25FF1D31A2D1.jpeg

Attachments

• 784FF3CA-D92C-4628-B98E-8996A6C8CB07.jpeg
    784FF3CA-D92C-4628-B98E-8996A6C8CB07.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

SkibumUT

I hadn’t heard this before, but I also found in old San Juan County Commission Minutes that the NPS had originally been considering the Shock Bar area (Schock Bar in Kelsey’s book) for a “concessionaire” site, but because of higher interest, decided instead to develop another site at Halls Crossing.

The portion of SR 276 between Halls and Natural Bridges existed prior to the 60’s as an old county road, and which I assume was because of the old ferry crossing there. Halls would seem more logical because of the existing roadway, but also because it provided easier access for a larger area to the lake without having to drive to Hite or Bullfrog.

If they wanted to access the Shock Bar, would it have been a facility similar to Dangling Rope, with no outside access other than the lake, or maybe they would have built a new road from the old Burr trail road.

Glad it ended up where it did. I love Halls, and the old Shock Bar Trail and the carved stair network is one of my favorite hikes on the north end.

Boatingtopgun

I have always been a Halls person. Back in the day, the owners (From Aurora Colorado) ran the boat rental, gas and marina store. They were really great people. Then I bought a houseboat and kept it at Halls. Then DelWeb came in and bought the rights for concessionaire.

jayfromtexas

A few more (again from the same sites as before)....

1- Oblique aerial looking south on the Halls Creek Wall, the mouth of Halls Creek and Lost Eden.

2- Oblique aerial looking south Bullfrog Creek. I love this view with Halls in the background and the bluffs by the BF bouy field to the right.

3- Oblique aerial looking north at the mouth of Bullfrog Creek. Kind of interesting to see what might be the shallow spot that was shown in the photos by @Pegasus just to the right of the mouth, above the short Canyon walls.

4- Cottonwoods in Forgotten Canyon being submerged as the lake fills. They’re still holding on for dear life. 😂

5- neat view of Devils Potty down by Lake Canyon as the water rises.

6- I think this is Wasp House in Lake Canyon as the water level approaches.

View attachment 11727View attachment 11728View attachment 11729View attachment 11730View attachment 11732

Devil's Potty? So that's what this is called. As you can see it was maybe 20 feet or so out of the water around the low point in 2014. Taken April 18, 2014 (thanks iOS information tag) at an elevation of around 3574.68. Granted then those earlier photos of mine from 2014 would be around the same date and elevation as well.

20140418_201811126_iOS.jpg20140418_201848654_iOS.jpg

SkibumUT

I don’t think there’s a formal name for it, but I first read about it on here several years ago and several people had referred to it as such. Perfect name, in my opinion! 😂

Dougie

These are fantastic of Bullfrog and Halls. Thanks so much!

Those 2014 Potty photos are more like 40+ feet from the top to jump into the lake. I jumped the hole about 22 feet down to the water (nasty angle take-off is necessary) this past Sept 2020 at 3595. Jumping off the front is far easier.