Lake level pics- Current Google earth vs Gaia

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I suppose it would be GoogelE but that is just the first step. Once on the water your perspective changes to real life images. Plan your trip using your favorite navigation system but then always be on the lookout for submerged rocks, floating debris and other boats. Enjoy your trip!

JFRCalifornia

Question-- I use Gaia and Google earth for nav all the time. Which is most accurate for the current lake level, same spot near rock creek
It all depends on when the images were taken. In the case of GoogleEarth, most of the lake defaults to imagery from 4-6-15, when the lake was at 3591. (That's true of the image you showed.) It's better to use the historic imagery from GoogleEarth, especially the very clear imagery from 5-29-13, when the lake was at 3598, a little closer to today's reality. There's also imagery from 7-12-06, when the lake was at 3609, perfect for today, but it's not nearly as clear, especially when you zoom in.

Bottom line, it's always best to be at the lake rather than sitting at home looking at aerial or satellite imagery... :)

NallAlex

It all depends on when the images were taken. In the case of GoogleEarth, most of the lake defaults to imagery from 4-6-15, when the lake was at 3591. (That's true of the image you showed.) It's better to use the historic imagery from GoogleEarth, especially the very clear imagery from 5-29-13, when the lake was at 3598, a little closer to today's reality. There's also imagery from 7-12-06, when the lake was at 3609, perfect for today, but it's not nearly as clear, especially when you zoom in.

Bottom line, it's always best to be at the lake rather than sitting at home looking at aerial or satellite imagery... :)
Using it to help find beaches to park the HB big difference between the 2, I'll check those dates and compare

Last edited:

JFRCalifornia

Using it to help find beaches to park the HB big difference between the 2, I'll check those dates and compare
Don't know when the Gaia image was taken, but it closely resembles the GoogleEarth image from 6-22-09, when the lake was at 3638. If so, the best images to use to find good beaches would be the GoogleEarth 5-29-13 and 7-12-06 dates...