Labor day

Went back down to Bullfrog on Labor Day. Instant non stop action. Over 100 fish each day. Top water and cut striper at night. A couple nice cats this trip as well

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a recommendation-- It looks like you have your fish on a stringer in the water-- They will taste quite a bit better if you keep them on ice from the moment you catch them--

Glad you had a great time !
May I also suggest bleeding your fish. Cut the vein that runs along the bottom of the gills on either side of the jaw. Let them bleed out in the water for 5-10 minutes and then ice them. Makes an enormous difference with the quality of the meat. 👍🏼

stickbow shooter

Just a recommendation-- It looks like you have your fish on a stringer in the water-- They will taste quite a bit better if you keep them on ice from the moment you catch them--

Glad you had a great time !
Years ago we always put our strippers and other fish on a stringer. I didn't like the taste of stripper and never fished for them.
We took Waynes advice and started putting all of our fish on ice after catching them .we enjoy stripper now and can't catch enough. Try it you will see the difference

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes less mess when filleting them as well.
It certainly does. I have been using a slurry to bleed them out, 50/50 ice and water in the cooler. It starts rigor mortis and shuts down the nervous system as the fish bleeds out. If you really want to taste clean fresh fish, that is the best way I have found.

Private Idaho

We used to bleed Tuna (Yellowfin and Blackfin) and King Mackerel but I never bleed freshwater fish. I ice them and eat them fresh. But I don't have a lot of experience with Stripers. One thing is for sure, you aren't going to hurt the taste by bleeding them so I will have to give it a try.