KSL: 54 boaters cited in Utah for quagga mussel violations over Memorial Day weekend

bdn

To trust the current system of inspection and decontamination at Lake Powell as a viable pathway to prevent the spread of mussels elsewhere in the state is a fools errand. The young “adults” tasked with this responsibility just don’t have their hearts in it and the process is flawed from start to finish.
After spending the past week fishing and enjoying the lake, I pulled out at Stateline, removed the drain plug, wiped down, cleaned and inspected the boat, had anchor, bumpers, lines and life jackets ready for inspection which occurred at the top of the ramp. Told the two employees I was headed over to Wahweap for a decontamination which they highly discouraged, said the wait would be long and to just get decontaminated at my next destination. I drove over anyway, the station was empty with no one around. Wife and I wandered around looking for staff and finally a couple of young gentlemen approached from the Wahweap ramp direction and asked what we wanted - ?? Really, we have a boat parked next to the decontamination station and he has to ask??
His next words - “Can’t we just drive to our next destination and get cleaned there?” Which again was the common thread of the entire experience - heard it from 4 different individuals. Even the decontamination was marginal - after 20 minutes of unenthusiastic work, he announce he was finished and handed me the paperwork to sign. I pointed out that he failed to flush out the bilge even though he had marked it as completed on the documentation sheet.
I want to be compliant and protect other lakes from contamination, but when it’s that hard to get a decontamination, or be asked to just wait 30 days before launching elsewhere, even I start to understand why many people don’t give a hoot about the mussel problem and boat anywhere, anytime while ignoring the issue completely. Bottom line - eventually most lakes throughout Utah will have mussels unless they force decontamination at all “clean lakes” prior to launching. Not holding my breath for that to ever happen. Sadly.

birdsnest

I would like to know if waterfowl (ducks and geese) can transmit quagga mussels to others resevoirs when they migrate. Have any studies been done to rule out this possibility? If an adult quagga mussel clamped onto a feather and then the bird flies to another reservoir, it could spread them. Whenever I have asked if waterfowl could spread quagga mussels, nobody knows. Have any waterfowl hunters seen a duck or a goose with a quagga mussel stuck to a feather?
Or even ingested and expelled later?

Concerned Soldier

If birds or animals were the cause of mussel infestations don't you think after all these years every water hole along their migration path would have them? Apparently it seldom if ever happens. The 100th Meridian Association long ago before the mussels got this side of the country identified trailered boats to be the main cause of spread. Uneducated or uncaring boaters who fail to decon their boats which is their responsibility and can be done simply by cleaning, draining and drying for a period time continue to be the way mussels spread. Government is limited in what it can do to help boaters meet their responsibilities but is trying with things like Utah's HB255.

Leardriver

It's not that animals always help spread the little buggers. It would be quite a trick to track that and prove it. It's that with a body of water as big as Powell, it's an easy target to hit if they ever do carry it with them in flight. The smaller size bodies of water would be statistically harder to infect "naturally,"

Quagga muscle have made it all the way down to the Ocean now in San Diego. Years ago actually.

It's only a matter of time till every smaller body of water has them. In the USA..

Jimbo

"The young “adults” tasked with this responsibility just don’t have their hearts in it and the process is flawed from start to finish."

Sadly I had a similar experience. The young person at the ramp did not fail on her part but had no idea that my boat had a wash down pump
fed from the lake and the air conditioner condenser was full of lake water, and both had strainers. Did not look in bilge but did note that the drain plug was removed. I was aware of these things but not concerned with my situation since we were headed east of Texas. Boat set's one year and then back to Powell.IMG_2546.JPG
So no contamination from me.

KYKevin

"The young “adults” tasked with this responsibility just don’t have their hearts in it and the process is flawed from start to finish."

Sadly I had a similar experience. The young person at the ramp did not fail on her part but had no idea that my boat had a wash down pump
fed from the lake and the air conditioner condenser was full of lake water, and both had strainers. Did not look in bilge but did note that the drain plug was removed. I was aware of these things but not concerned with my situation since we were headed east of Texas. Boat set's one year and then back to Powell.View attachment 8833
NIce boat JImbo (y)

svivian

fed from the lake and the air conditioner condenser was full of lake water, and both had strainers. Did not look in bilge but did note that the drain plug was removed. I was aware of these things but not concerned with my situation since we were headed east of Texas. Boat set's one year and then back to Powell.View attachment 8833
IF you ever decide to sell that boat please give me a call.

haulnass

as the other 2 mentioned " SWEET BOAT" 2 yammies on a 24 with A/C hard top ,solar … Okie from Muskokie ! If only could get wife to consider something more like this. only need single primary Yammie with small kicker for my desire. (What size Yammies?)

haulnass

Here's my problem with the efforts at Powell

1. If they had been aggressive checks would have started 6 years ago and like Colorado would require decontamination prior to launch, not hope to catch the problem after it already exists

2. The check stations have an abundance of young kids staffing the check and decontamination process who don't understand and don't truly care about the task (there are exceptions- this isn't a blanket statement)

As an example, when we left the lake last week (before Memorial Weekend) we got to the inspection station 8 minutes early. Had all the bumpers, ropes, life jackets laid out. The first kid to arrive tells me that they're not open and gives the vibe he'd rather we just leave rather than asking us to wait for 8 minutes. He also mentions he wants to eat his breakfast. I ask if I can just self certify, since technically they are not open and I didn't have to stop, and the boat will launch next at Powell. He says he doesn't want to do the paperwork but he'll do a walk around. He tells me I'm good!

I put all the gear away, and have just finished tiring down the cover when the rest of the crew arrives.

New guy tells me I have to remove the cover and take all my stuff back out. I point out that his co-worker said I was good, but nope. I have to uncover and pull it all out cause guy number 1 couldn't just say, we need you to wait and I'll be with you in 8 minutes!

it was an annoying joke. I knew more about the process and what to check than either of the 2 guys we encountered.

I will say most inspections have been ok, lacking consistency, but generally tolerable and not that much of an inconvenience. But every 5th one feels like last weeks experience.
I feel like it's just another tax/fee for self reliance of personal morals involving an invasive species?
"Wear a mask slow the spread. Masks don't work."

Jimbo

as the other 2 mentioned " SWEET BOAT" 2 yammies on a 24 with A/C hard top ,solar … Okie from Muskokie ! If only could get wife to consider something more like this. only need single primary Yammie with small kicker for my desire. (What size Yammies?)
F150 Yammies. 140 gal. fuel tank. 2.2 mpg loaded 'heavy' for a 6 night vacation. We thought long about the best way to see the lake
and ended up with this. 2008 model. The solar panels charge a 210 ah battery which runs an Engle cooler for days.
Thanks for the compliments.

Jimbo

This shows just how roomy the inside is for a boat this size. Most are smaller. Not bragging but for two people there is no better way to
enjoy the whole lake. But we never went past Halls because of water conditions. Always put in at Antelope and mostly stayed in the SJ.
oct 17 2013 025.JPG

viking842000

Most of my fishing on Powell is in the spring and there rarely are any inspections provided at all from Hall's so what is the point ? My boat is mandated for decon no matter what when I return to any of my Colorado lakes. Anybody that cares at all about they're boat is doing the right things at all times IMO

bdn

Such a sweet looking boat. Let me know if you ever decide to part with it.