KSL: 54 boaters cited in Utah for quagga mussel violations over Memorial Day weekend

Havalina

This memorial day weekend accoring to ksl. The DWR issued 54 tickets for failing to stop for inspections of transporting the boat with the plug in.
This is a great and a bad thing. It is great because, the word s getting out and the law is being enforce. It is bad because Utah is talking this week about budget cuts. I am a former LEO and do not beleive that law enforcement should ever be a source of revenue. Mayor Hancock and the current one disagree. I really hope that Utah does not follow Wyoming down that path. Regardless, if you get inspected and pull your plug there is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Bullfrog07

In the article it states ...

"All boat owners will also be required to complete an online education course regarding how to prevent those species from spreading, and then show proof they completed the course before they are allowed to launch their boat in a body of water in Utah."

If this came up already I missed it. Anyone have more info or the website?

Ryan

In the article it states ...

"All boat owners will also be required to complete an online education course regarding how to prevent those species from spreading, and then show proof they completed the course before they are allowed to launch their boat in a body of water in Utah."

If this came up already I missed it. Anyone have more info or the website?
Utah house bill HB255
If you do a search here there is a thread on it.

Kentucky

Ok I’ve asked Dept of Wildlife from both Utah and AZ. Park service and the sheriffs office patrolling Wahweap. No one knows how the dam utard HB255 will be enforced on Powell. Additionally if you read the KSL article it states Utah has urged NPS to accept their money grab law. Doesn’t mean NPS has. It’s all about the money folks. Clearly not one entity of enforcement had any idea nor did half of them even know what I was talking about when I asked them in and around Wahweap over the last two weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

dlandon

Ok I’ve asked Dept of Wildlife from both Utah and AZ. Park service and the sheriffs office patrolling Wahweap. No one knows how the dam utard HB255 will be enforced on Powell. Additionally if you read the KSL article it states Utah has urged NPS to accept their money grab law. Doesn’t mean NPS has. It’s all about the money folks. Clearly not one entity of enforcement had any idea nor did half of them even know what I was talking about when I asked them in and around Wahweap over the last two weeks
The bill doesn’t take effect until July 1, 2020. To say it’s a money grab isn’t accurate. What do you propose? This has to be fought and paid for somehow.

Kentucky

It is a Utah money grab. Last time I checked it’s Park service manning the booth at Lake Powell. Not Utah employees. Furthermore the battle was lost in 2013 or so when the mussels made it into Lake Powell. Clearly it’s to late. Now if you Utah folks want to guard whatever other lakes you think quagga isn’t in then go for it but Powell is federal and paid for by every American tax payer. To further my money grab argument as a Nevada resident I’m forced to pay additional money every year at registration time for my boat for an additional invasive species sticker and for what reason? Mead has had them for a long time I believe. Now Utah wants to force me to pay their state to use a Federal waterway? Wtf

dlandon

NPS partners with Utah and Arizona for decontamination. Funding is not the sole responsibility of the NPS. Those who are angry with this should direct their anger at the knuckle heads that caused this in the first place and the 54 cited boaters.

fisheye

International shipping in the great lakes caused these problems! I haven't seen any reference concerning that industry, or change to policies that might prevent further invasions, Have you?? We continue to chase our tail...

Ryan

NPS partners with Utah and Arizona for decontamination. Funding is not the sole responsibility of the NPS. Those who are angry with this should direct their anger at the knuckle heads that caused this in the first place and the 54 cited boaters.
I’d like a little more info on those “knuckleheads” before I condemn them. Clean drained and dry should be more than enough if you are going to be decontaminated anyway before you launch again.

The whole process in Utah is a waste of time for anyone who will next use their boat in Colorado as that state has a mandatory decontamination of any boat that isn’t tagged from a clean Colorado lake.

I can absolutely relate to the urge to skip the lines for inspection in Utah as even if I got a decontamination at the lake I would have to do it again before I launch at home.

Fursniper

The money to register our boats in the state we reside in goes into a State Lake Improvement Fund (SLIF) for maintaining waterways in each state. It pays for navigation buoys, launch ramp courtesy docks, fish cleaning stations, public restrooms, etc. It can also pay for quagga mussel programs. SLIF money is available to the National Park Service if they apply for it. This is in addition to the National Park Service receiving US Coast Guard money which can also be used for the same purpose.

The cinder block public restrooms at Lee's Ferry launch ramp (Glen canyon NRA) were paid for by Arizona's State Lake Improvement Fund. Why Glen Canyon NRA requires a federal annual watercraft decal in addition to a state watercraft registration is a mystery when they receive US Coast Guard money and can get SLIF money from 2 different states.

I am opposed to UT wanting an extra $20 for non-resident boaters to pay for quagga mussel programs. Every state has concerns about quagga mussles. It is not just a Utah problem. The money from registering our watercraft in the state we reside in should be enough. We don't need annnual federal watercraft decals, annual quagga mussel decals, in additional to our annual state watercraft registration decal. Use the money that is currently available more wisely and quit double and triple tapping me for more.

Last edited:

CHRIS MCBETH

I say pull the plug, get inspected, follow their directions if decon is required.

The reason they're so aggresive is because they're trying to keep quagga from speading into the dams and reservoirs that store and supply the water for all of our western United States.

It costs billions of tax dollars a year to remove and repair systems damaged by quagga, and their affect on the eco-system is far from understood and could have long term destructive repercussions on our fisheries.

Personally I think that quagga money could be used for much more helpful things like health and human services, public education, infrastructure maintenance and improvements, or maybe even lowering taxes... but unless we can stop them from infesting every body of water there is, that money will only continue to increase.

In the end, these measures are made necessary because some people are selfish and ignore the rules.

Conflation of "freedom" with breaking the law has become commonplace, but the laws are there because of the ignorant few. I'd like to think nobody on this forum is one of those ignorant few. Being a good citizen sometimes means doing things you don't like for the good of future generations.

Personally I think this is one of those things.

PowellBride

I say pull the plug, get inspected, follow their directions if decon is required.

The reason they're so aggresive is
Here's my problem with the efforts at Powell

1. If they had been aggressive checks would have started 6 years ago and like Colorado would require decontamination prior to launch, not hope to catch the problem after it already exists

2. The check stations have an abundance of young kids staffing the check and decontamination process who don't understand and don't truly care about the task (there are exceptions- this isn't a blanket statement)

As an example, when we left the lake last week (before Memorial Weekend) we got to the inspection station 8 minutes early. Had all the bumpers, ropes, life jackets laid out. The first kid to arrive tells me that they're not open and gives the vibe he'd rather we just leave rather than asking us to wait for 8 minutes. He also mentions he wants to eat his breakfast. I ask if I can just self certify, since technically they are not open and I didn't have to stop, and the boat will launch next at Powell. He says he doesn't want to do the paperwork but he'll do a walk around. He tells me I'm good!

I put all the gear away, and have just finished tiring down the cover when the rest of the crew arrives.

New guy tells me I have to remove the cover and take all my stuff back out. I point out that his co-worker said I was good, but nope. I have to uncover and pull it all out cause guy number 1 couldn't just say, we need you to wait and I'll be with you in 8 minutes!

it was an annoying joke. I knew more about the process and what to check than either of the 2 guys we encountered.

I will say most inspections have been ok, lacking consistency, but generally tolerable and not that much of an inconvenience. But every 5th one feels like last weeks experience.

Concerned Soldier

Aramark originally started decontaminations at the NPS request. Then the NPS took over the program with little or no funding in an attempt to educate and hope boat owners would see it was in their best interest to prevent mussels in lake Powell. The program was voluntary mainly because physical control of the ramps was not possible as there wasn't and still isn't enough funding to man them 24/7. Inspections before launching were mandatory and if mussels were found, a decontamination and dry time as well. Cones were used to close the ramps at night in hopes the education efforts would cause boaters to realize what a mess it would be if they didn't and the lake became over run with mussels. Well now we have a mess as many boaters stood by and did nothing. Looking back at how many times the cones got moved and during this closure how many stated they did or would launch with no regard for the problem that has been created by the mussels I guess no one should be surprised at the mess that has been created. HB255 is an attempt to educate boaters as well as put practices into effect to prevent the spread of mussels. It also introduces a way to attempt to monitor and speed up boat launch and retrieves 24/7.

Rivergoer

Inspecting boats leaving LP is highly inefficient and very inconsistent.

Money and scarce resources would be better utilized screening and decontaminating all boats launching at non-infested Utah lakes. Sounds like that’s the program in Colorado.

Lake Tahoe has remained clean for years with implementation of consistent, aggressive monitoring of all incoming watercraft.

Fursniper

I would like to know if waterfowl (ducks and geese) can transmit quagga mussels to others resevoirs when they migrate. Have any studies been done to rule out this possibility? If an adult quagga mussel clamped onto a feather and then the bird flies to another reservoir, it could spread them. Whenever I have asked if waterfowl could spread quagga mussels, nobody knows. Have any waterfowl hunters seen a duck or a goose with a quagga mussel stuck to a feather?