Kicker motors?

Meatwagon

I'm in the market for a Kicker for my 21ft triton and was curious what others are using, pros and cons. How they're set up for trolling, if you prefer tiller or having it linked to the main engine for steering etc.

greyhackle

I run a mercury big foot 9.9 hp. linked to the big motor so I can tilt either without unhooking the link. I also have controls up front. (throttle and shift) and a Minn Kota I pilot on the bow I use it to steer more than the steering wheel. I love this set up. But I fish for kokanee and lake trout far more than bass. I've used it at Powell when trolling on every trip. Dworwood runs about the same setup. We both come from a lake trout kokanee background.

Meatwagon

I run a mercury big foot 9.9 hp. linked to the big motor so I can tilt either without unhooking the link. I also have controls up front. (throttle and shift) and a Minn Kota I pilot on the bow I use it to steer more than the steering wheel. I love this set up. But I fish for kokanee and lake trout far more than bass. I've used it at Powell when trolling on every trip. Dworwood runs about the same setup. We both come from a lake trout kokanee background.
I have read others using there i pilots. Do you find it useful with the remote so you can move around the boat and not be tied to the steering wheel?

Last edited:

fastarget

I have the same except chose to go with the 15hp pro kicker, Fuel injection, and it can charge the battery (9.9 hp may not).

Ipilot is a must for us, I am having to move around the boat to take care of the other 3 fisher people , I can spot lock, and steer from anywhere on the boat, it maybe the one thing I will never have a boat without. With an Ulterra it can even stow and deploy remotely.

Meatwagon

Having the Kicker linked to the big motor does it make it harder to steer moving both motors at the same time?

fastarget

I rarely have them both in the water at the same time , they can be trimmed independently, when one is in use the other is usually up. The kicker has a small footprint and not an issue. As a side note, the dealer recommended to trailer with the kicker in gear so as not to work the gear-case.

greyhackle

I love the I pilot on the front. No more fighting the boat in the wind. Just set a course and let it go. Still have to watch out for other boaters obviously. It does not make it any harder to steer that I've noticed. I raise the kicker to get up on plane, but leave both motors down when trolling. I leave them straight when using the I pilot or they pull the boat whatever direction they're facing. Sometimes the kicker motor can overpower the ipilot. I just have to turn the I pilot up when it does. I used to steer with a tiller. Hated It!. especially with a little wind. It brings the grumpy old man out fast. 👴 I wish my I pilot was an ulterra. Yes I can move around the boat as much as I want or where I want.

Meatwagon

Wish my I pilot was an Ulterra as well. Lifting that 36 volt motor gets heavy especially in rough water. When using the I pilot to steer do you have to have it powered on or just use as a front Rutter?

greyhackle

I have it running. Usually on 4 to 6. I built a larger rudder on it out of aluminum. It's saves on the battery. My I pilot is only a 55 lb Thrust 12 Volt. I wish it was an 80 lb 24 Volt. I went with minn kotas rec for a 16 ft. Boat. That was about 11 yrs ago. It doesn't owe me anything. When I up grade it's going to be an ulterra linked to a hummingbird si.

greyhackle

My 9.9 also charges the battery. It works great on my boat. But mine is only 16 ft. I think dworwood has the 9.9 on his 21 ft and it works for him. I'm sure he'll chime in when he gets home. He's at the lake now. A 15 up would even be better. Especially as a back up if you had to travel very far. I used to have a 5 hp Honda on another boat and had to use it from moki to Bull Frog. It worked great just took a while.no

Dorado

I have read others using there i pilots. Do you find it useful with the remote so you can move around the boat and not be tied to the steering wheel?
I use the I pilot and kicker motor all the time for Kokanee. You can set it on autopilot or to follow a track on a low speed, then use the outboard as the main propulsion source. You are pretty hands free this way, I use the I pilot exclusively to steer, and just set the outboard running straight....

Ryan

I have an 8 HP Honda on my 17’ Ranger. It was on my Lund before that.

My motor only has the fuel line and steering linked. Not throttle. Mainly because I’m cheap. And I don’t troll often.

I wouldn’t go any smaller than a 9.9. In fact, I’d recommend going 15. Bigger alternator and I’ve heard they run quieter and smoother.

Even if I’m trolling, I rarely use the Honda. Part is because I don’t have the throttle control. My 1st choice when trolling would be to use my minnkota. It’s silent and will troll plenty fast for trout. If the wind comes up or if I don’t have a way to charge my batteries, I’ll just use my 115 Yamaha. There really seems to be no penalty using it in regard to mileage. It trolls down below 2 mph. And it is much quieter than the Honda.

So on my boat, I really only see two advantages to having a kicker. It keeps the hours off the main motor (which I don’t fish enough to be concerned with), and it is my back up way to get back to Bullfrog should something happen to my Yamaha.

And, as a side note, the 8 HP will only push my boat around 5 mph. Which I think is another argument to going with the 15.

Dorado

Can’t see how a 115 could have anything close to the same fuel economy as an 8hp, running barely above idle?

Not an issue a LP, but my 6 HP barely trolls slow enough at idle for Kokanee, a 15 would not go slow enough...my boat is a 17 foot Crestliner...

Guess it comes down to how much you plan on trolling, we use our kicker for stripers and Kokanee, probably has nearly as many hrs as the main motor after 14 years Of fishing with this boat!!!

Meatwagon

Speed is a main reason for my desire to go with a Kicker. I am good using my I pilot up to about 1.2mph but above that it just burns up the batteries for sustained use. From 1.2 to 5mph is where I am looking to fill the gap. My 250 etec will idle at 3mph but I don't want spend hours on end at 700rpms with that motor, it's to go from point a to point b and if I run into sharks and crocs at point b than I will have a plan b to reduce there population. Thanks for all the input so far. This is a learning curve for me.

Meatwagon

As far as motor size, I have heard that the 15 is smoother running but our mountain lakes here in Arizona mostly have a 10hp limit so I am looking at the 9.9hp efi motors to expand my possibilities. I have noticed that most of the multi species boats in the 20ft +class are rigged with either a 9.9 or a 15hp so I am thinking this is where I want to be powerwise.

greyhackle

If your mt. lakes have a 10 hp. limit you wont be disappointed in the 9.9. The older 2 stroke motors the 15 and 9.9 were the same motor just a different carburetor. I don't know now days with the 4 strokes, but I really like my 9.9 merc. Ive fished 4 days and not run the battery down. Whatever you choose I don't think youll be sorry you went that way.

fastarget

Speed is a main reason for my desire to go with a Kicker. I am good using my I pilot up to about 1.2mph but above that it just burns up the batteries for sustained use. From 1.2 to 5mph is where I am looking to fill the gap. My 250 etec will idle at 3mph but I don't want spend hours on end at 700rpms with that motor, it's to go from point a to point b and if I run into sharks and crocs at point b than I will have a plan b to reduce there population. Thanks for all the input so far. This is a learning curve for me.
just returned from a couple of days fishing Blue Mesa reservoir, we mostly trolled. The 15hp pro kicker is a four stroke, no problem pushing a 620fs from 1 to 5 mph. hours of running at 1.5 mph, frugal on fuel, and system voltage from 13.1 to 14.2 . After hours of trolling, the thing that was appreciated the most was how quiet it runs. If you frequent lakes with hp limits, then the 9.9 is the way to go.