Jared Pugh - Good Hope Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I wanted to send you a cool picture of a Striper we found floating dead in Good Hope Bay on Saturday May 5th. The fish had apparently choked to death on a nice sized Walleye!

We had a fantastic weekend of fishing and caught some beautiful fish! We ended up with 227 fish total (all released) in 3 days of fishing. The fishing was fast and furious in the afternoons from 3PM to dark each day, but you had to work for them in the mornings. We fished Good Hope Bay, The Horn and 4 Mile Canyon with the best fishing by far in and around the rocky points around Good Hope Bay, the water temp was 66-71 degrees every day. 95 percent of all the fish were caught on 5” Yamamoto Double Tail Hula Grubs in the 297 color on ½ ounce lead football head jigs. But the exciting part was how awesome the top water bite was! I threw a Zara Spook Puppy in black/chrome and caught 10 to 15 fish each morning and afternoon casting to shore with a very subtle walk the dog retrieve. Thanks for all your info helping us prepare for our trip down the fishing is HOT!jpughbg1.jpgjpughlmb2_edited-1.jpg

Attachments

• jpughsmb1.jpg
    jpughsmb1.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 143
  • jpughsmb3..jpg
    jpughsmb3..jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 144
  • jpughwae.jpg
    jpughwae.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 165
  • jpughstbwae.jpg
    jpughstbwae.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 179
  • jpughstbwae2.jpg
    jpughstbwae2.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 168
  • jpughbc1.jpg
    jpughbc1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Would you be so kind as to tell us the particulars about your bluegill and crappie? Thanks - never caught either. I'm coming down the end of May for a week of solid fishing and would like to catch these also.

You bet, we were not targeting the bluegill or crappie specifically, but every Crappie we caught was caught on or very close to any submerged or partially submerged brush pile along the shoreline. All of the crappie were caught on Yamamoto 5" double tail hula grubs in the 297 color. I'm sure if we would have downsized our baits a little and focused more on the brush piles we could have put a lot more crappie in the boat. The bluegill were on the soft bottom adjacent to any rocky shoreline in 3-8 ft of water (I'm not a bluegill expert, but I believe they may have been on their spawning beds as they were SUPER agressive!) We caught most of our bluegill on a 4 and 5 inch senko in the baby bass color. We did catch the biggest 'gills again on the 5" hula grubs in the 297 color. We were mainly targeting SMB, LMB and walleye so the 'gills and crappie were a VERY fun added bonus! Whatever you do get down there asap and have a blast! The fishing is fantastic right now! Tight lines!

Attachments

• 13306.jpeg
    13306.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 13305.jpeg
    13305.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 13331.jpeg
    13331.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 47
You bet, we were not targeting the bluegill or crappie specifically, but every Crappie we caught was caught on or very close to any submerged or partially submerged brush pile along the shoreline. All of the crappie were caught on Yamamoto 5" double tail hula grubs in the 297 color. I'm sure if we would have downsized our baits a little and focused more on the brush piles we could have put a lot more crappie in the boat. The bluegill were on the soft bottom adjacent to any rocky shoreline in 3-8 ft of water (I'm not a bluegill expert, but I believe they may have been on their spawning beds as they were SUPER agressive!) We caught most of our bluegill on a 4 and 5 inch senko in the baby bass color. We did catch the biggest 'gills again on the 5" hula grubs in the 297 color. We were mainly targeting SMB, LMB and walleye so the 'gills and crappie were a VERY fun added bonus! Whatever you do get down there asap and have a blast! The fishing is fantastic right now! Tight lines!
Thank you very much. That was nice of you to share! When (if) I grow up, I want to fish just like you ):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back