IS THE WATER DUMP HERE - BE CAREFUL OF MUD COVERED SLICKROCK - SLIPPING HAZARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba

The lake will be dropping about 10 feet over the next week or two, be carful when accessing the beach from bow of boat - look for sand not black mud or slick rock.

The thin layer of mud on top slickrock is slick as ice. Also be careful when the top surface dries with a wet layer of mud below, same thing, you jump or walk on that and down you go. It has happened twice to me over the years and it hurts bad.

The water estimators are predicting about 10 feet of new water this year (seems high), and that means that after the runoff we will end up about where we are today.

It is crazy to me how powers in charge still respect the fixed water agreements of 1922, it really needs to shift to rational with a share being a percentage of total new water instead of a fixed amount regardless of intake value. Even more crazy is this thing was created for “Flood” control...

No need to get all excited about the water dump, it is not extra water, it is still part of the annual agreed amount, they are just taking it as flood to enhance the lower canyon with happier fish and new beaches.

A few years ago during another water dump a rental boat was parked above the shallow shelf west of sand king 1 canyon. Nobody was paying attention and the the next day the water line was a foot out of water - that was a ship show watching boat rentals drag that thing back in the lake... When it is not your boat a large amount of care is not applied, but raw horsepower is.

First part of April will be a pretty LOW water point and an awesome time to go exploring if you are into that.

Don’t slip.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lake will be dropping about 10 feet over the next week or two, be carful when accessing the beach from bow of boat - look for sand not black mud or slick rock.

The thin layer of mud on top slickrock is slick as ice. Also be careful when the top surface dries with a wet layer of mud below, same thing, you jump or walk on that and down you go. It has happened twice to me over the years and it hurts bad.

The water estimators are predicting about 10 feet of new water this year (seems high), and that means that after the runoff we will end up about where we are today.

It is crazy to me how powers in charge still respect the fixed water agreements of 1922, it really needs to shift to rational with a share being a percentage of total new water instead of a fixed amount regardless of intake value. Even more crazy is this thing was created for “Flood” control...

No need to get all excited about the water dump, it is not extra water, it is still part of the annual agreed amount, they are just taking it as flood to enhance the lower canyon with happier fish and new beaches.

A few years ago during another water dump a rental boat was parked above the shallow shelf west of sand king 1 canyon. Nobody was paying attention and the the next day the water line was a foot out of water - that was a ship show watching boat rentals drag that thing back in the lake... When it is not your boat a large amount of care is not applied, but raw horsepower is.

First part of April will be a pretty LOW water point and an awesome time to go exploring if you are into that.

Don’t slip.
Ditto on slick mud. Three or four years ago, I stepped off my boat on what looked like dry slickrock and broke a bone in my ankle on my first day. Didn't get it looked at for a week- can't let a little injury get in the way of primetime fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back