Is it Too windy for kids

fastarget

Planning on taking kids out of bullfrog to fish Friday and part of Saturday. Winds 14-15 predicted on wunderground. Will that still be comfortable? When do you consider it too windy for comfort?

Kbass

That forecast is generally for sustained wind and not gusts. Tough to fish unless in sheltered coves. Boating becomes an issue of boat size. If you read some of the other recent posts you'll get a feel for wind issues. Morning may be better than later.

TheMarinator

This is just my opinion and keep in mind my boat is only 18 feet.

Nope , no way I would take my kids on my 18 footer right now to Powell , the lake can get downright scary in windy conditions especially in the big bays. Couple that with fairly cold water right now = kids are stating at home.

dlandon

It’ll take more wind than that to give you problems. We’re here now and Tuesday we had 40 mph winds in a bass boat and did fine. We’re all adults, but kids is different.

Last edited:

Boudreaux

Planning on taking kids out of bullfrog to fish Friday and part of Saturday. Winds 14-15 predicted on wunderground. Will that still be comfortable? When do you consider it too windy for comfort?
Windfinder is a more detailed app than Wunderground when it comes to wind predictions. 20 mph is my comfort max in my 18 foot boat. Still safe, but very bumpy and unpleasant after a while. Over 20 starts to get worrisome with white caps and rollers, but still OK. 30-40- oh hell no.

fastarget

Thank you for the info. Yes, WU and windfinder i have, windfinder is detailed and typically higher estimates, showing pretty high winds today in the late afternoon and eve, so i plan to head back to bullfrog around 3.

fastarget

It did get windy starting at noon. Trolling motor would not keep the boat in place so we headed back to bullfrog around one o’clock.......loitered around the south side of the bay which was slightly sheltered and watched the chaos at the main ramp. It was ok, i think it got worse later in the afternoon .
kids had fun, fishing was not like two weeks ago, lots of activity, wake boats and pwc, fished knowles mostly. Kids Caught some nice SMB and 10.5” blue gill. We decided to take everyone back home tonight and avoid Memorial day from now on.

Want to thank the Good Samaritan who helped my wife back up the trailer so we can get the boat out, in very disorganized messy ramp . thank you.

BrianID

I was out there last Tuesday and that would be a day you should consider staying off the lake and have a plan so you could shelter in a protective cove and stay there overnight if necessary. I stayed in narrow canyons that wouldn't get big waves but they weren't spared from the wind gust. Several wind gusts hit me hard enough that they almost knocked me off balance and I took a fall. I quickly learned to keep an ear out and watch the water to spot the gusts before they would hit me. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the wind gust that hit me were 60+ MPH. You don't want to travel any great distance in wind conditions like that. Even if your boat can handle it, that will be a really rough ride and if you have any unexpected motor problems you could be put in a dangerous situation.

fastarget

Agreed, words of wisdom Brian. Not sure what the wind was doing in the north part of the lake around Knowles at around 12.30 pm, nothing outrageous, but enough to be respectful. 15 gusting to 20, if someone knows for sure please let us know. In a few areas on the way to Bullfrog, it got bumpy to where a couple of the ladies worried...... We tried to fish in forgotten but the trolling motor would not keep us in place and got close to rocks twice. Not overly dangerous, but not fun to fish in.

Interestingly on the ramp, lots of fishing boats going out and Wake Boats going in.

PowellBride

Girl secret for your wife, instead of trying to think through the process of turning the wheel the opposite way of the direction you want to go when backing, or the awkward hands at the bottom of the wheel....Tell her to turn the wheel toward whichever mirror she sees too much trailer in.