• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Interesting Video of Upper End

Bollyb

Thanks for the video. Interesting to see that area from the air. We had 3 boats up there two weeks ago and went just past marker 132. There was a huge debris float around the marker and we could see the river entering the lake so that's where we stopped and turned around. We boat camped along the huge sandbar outside of Ticaboo canyon . It is beautiful up there. In two days we saw three boats pass. It was like we had the lake to ourselves. Being one of those guys that did a lot launching from Hite and going up to and hiking Dark Canyon, fishing the lake up from the bridge, the Dirty Devil, the Wash, Farley and White I can old hope I have enough years left that I could boat those areas again someday. You youngsters enjoy it!!! Again, thanks for taking the time to share the video.

Dungee

Escalante-Class Member
Thanks for the video. Interesting to see that area from the air. We had 3 boats up there two weeks ago and went just past marker 132. There was a huge debris float around the marker and we could see the river entering the lake so that's where we stopped and turned around. We boat camped along the huge sandbar outside of Ticaboo canyon . It is beautiful up there. In two days we saw three boats pass. It was like we had the lake to ourselves. Being one of those guys that did a lot launching from Hite and going up to and hiking Dark Canyon, fishing the lake up from the bridge, the Dirty Devil, the Wash, Farley and White I can old hope I have enough years left that I could boat those areas again someday. You youngsters enjoy it!!! Again, thanks for taking the time to share the video.

Best fishing and coolest area of the lake, hopefully someday again!

PBH

Being one of those guys that did a lot launching from Hite and going up to and hiking Dark Canyon, fishing the lake up from the bridge, the Dirty Devil, the Wash, Farley and White I can old hope I have enough years left that I could boat those areas again someday.

It wasn't that long ago that we launched from the concrete ramp at Hite, and trolled circles in the mouth of the Dirty Devil. November of 2011. Seeing the drone pictures of Two Mile makes me sad. I hope to just be able to fish the "humps" between Trachyte and Farley. Fishing the Dirty Devil and the Bridge just seems like a fantasy dream at this point -- I don't think we'll ever be able to boat up that far again.

JyJ1DeO.jpg

bob london

'I don't think we'll ever be able to boat up that far again.'

Probably not. The surface of the sediment in that area is lying at close to 3600 famsl. You could however float down Cararact and Narrow and hope to take out at the designated NPS ramp opposite Hite 'Marina'.

Good luck with that.

Eagle Rock

I rafted Cataract in the low-water summer of 1977. The lake elevation was in the 3650s. We paddled 1/4 mile up into Dark Canyon and laid over for a day of hiking. Then friends with a rental powerboat came up from Hite, and towed us (2 rafts + 2 kayaks) the length of Narrow Canyon and out to Hite. That would not only be impossible today even if the water returned to 3650', it was already impossible 35 years ago. The 1986 sediment study (p. 30, Figure 14) shows the sediment (i.e, bottom of the river/reservoir) was up to 3670' at Dark Canyon by 1986.

flowerbug

i see this and it makes me think that they should put a water treatment plant up that ways to keep all that sediment from going into the lake below. :) yes, i know, it's just a thought, probably won't happen, but hey, it could work and save a lot of expense later, pay now or pay later? the difference would be nutrients from all those sediments and perhaps water temperature too if the treatment plant took too long to settle out the sediments.

the sediments themselves could probably be used for construction, fill or sand, and like i said are probably also good for farms or gardens.

just a comment from someone who sees all erosion as a loss, even if it forms things as beautiful as the Grand Canyon or the Rocky Mountains. :) i live in a place so flat that we lose 30ft between here and Lake Huron (which is about 35 miles from here) and 20ft of that is lost a half mile down the road from us where the river flows through the park and intermittent wetlands.