• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Interesting read on tamarisk

Hillbilly

I haven't been to Lees Ferry in a few years, but they introduced the beetles there and they appear to help control the tamarisk. They also had a couple of test sites where native vegetation was started. Plants and animals are world travelers now- next we will be seeing Komodo dragons running around Utah.

Grant2

They planted a population of beetles on the Gunnison River below our house. It has been interesting to watch for the last 10 years. The beetles haven't totally killed off the tamarisk, but has substantially "controlled" it. Enough to allow the cottonwoods they planted to grow. Once the cottonwoods gain maturity, the shade should finish the job of killing off the tamarisk.

SkibumUT

They planted a population of beetles on the Gunnison River below our house. It has been interesting to watch for the last 10 years. The beetles haven't totally killed off the tamarisk, but has substantially "controlled" it. Enough to allow the cottonwoods they planted to grow. Once the cottonwoods gain maturity, the shade should finish the job of killing off the tamarisk.
That’s fascinating. I’ve been trying to find more info on the vetting/trial process that the USDA went through to approve the beetles. I’m sure it was a rigorous process, but it sounds like a pucker-job for sure to try it.

Steve Moore

I remember when the greenies were screaming because they sucked so much water. After the release of the beetles they were screaming because of lost habitat for a bird. Darned if you do and darned if you don’t. I know here around Grand Junction they are still cleaning up the dead brush left over. Has cleaned up nicely around the river.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trix

There were many detailed discussions on WW about the tests and controlled introduction of the beetles. I'm surprised the eradication projects haven't become more common.

nzaugg

That’s fascinating. I’ve been trying to find more info on the vetting/trial process that the USDA went through to approve the beetles. I’m sure it was a rigorous process, but it sounds like a pucker-job for sure to try it.
As I understand it, the project was not a government project or approved by the feds. It was something everyone thought would be nice but it was led by a third party conservation group. This came from one of the involved parties, but I am not certain that it is the full story. Fortunately for Moab, they had a nice fire to get rid of a bunch of the dead brush after the beetle came through.

davew

any one by chance have access to that story on the .com old site?
if so, please post again --- I am always interested in a great story.

Bart?????

Steve Moore

I Can add the beetle was created and the insectary in Palisade Co. I can’t remember all the original release sites with it, it the year. It’s reach goes from above Rifle to as far as the bird hunting ranch going toward Hanksville

Raven Haven

I wish! There was great content there. We were able to retrieve articles, but forum contents were destroyed by some sort of hacker/virus before the remains were passed along to me. Sorry...

Occasionally, you can find bits and pieces in the "way back" machine.
Bart, thanks for that Wayback link. I dd not know that existed. I checked a few posts out and fondly remembered Rob Solomon's good morning pics. Are you still here, Rob? It was always nice to check those out in the morning. Saw some posts from Wordlings who are no longer with us. RIP. Thanks
Trash Tracker Eric

Raven Haven

Bart, thanks for that Wayback link. I dd not know that existed. I checked a few posts out and fondly remembered Rob Solomon's good morning pics. Are you still here, Rob? It was always nice to check those out in the morning. Saw some posts from Wordlings who are no longer with us. RIP. Thanks
Trash Tracker Eric
Haha! My wife just found my first post- December 2003. Ed and Waterbaby (even though she was sick!) gave shout-outs! Glad you are better, WB.