Interesting "Rain Drop" Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

TucsontoTexas

Our local weather guy in Houston, posted a really fun website on his blog. Essentially, you click a location on a map of the US and it shows you the path a raindrop takes to reach the ocean (or which canyon it flows into in Lake Powell). River Runner

It seems to break down in parts of Utah, or there are far more inland lakes with no outlet than I was aware of... In the extreme, follow a raindrop that falls in Estes Park, CO vs. Grand Lake, CO. Or try to guess how far west of Lake Powell you have to go before a rain drop misses the Grand Canyon. If you like looking at maps and satellite images you could find yourself distracted for some time. It defaults to a nauseating flyover, but click on the X and it stops.

All of the Great Basin drains to terminal lakes or flood plains, so there is really not much of a break down. This is pretty neat though! Thanks for sharing.

Our local weather guy in Houston, posted a really fun website on his blog. Essentially, you click a location on a map of the US and it shows you the path a raindrop takes to reach the ocean (or which canyon it flows into in Lake Powell). River Runner

It seems to break down in parts of Utah, or there are far more inland lakes with no outlet than I was aware of... In the extreme, follow a raindrop that falls in Estes Park, CO vs. Grand Lake, CO. Or try to guess how far west of Lake Powell you have to go before a rain drop misses the Grand Canyon. If you like looking at maps and satellite images you could find yourself distracted for some time. It defaults to a nauseating flyover, but click on the X and it stops.
That's pretty awesome. I just took a 3000-mile ride from Montana to the Gulf of Mexico. Took about 15 minutes. And then followed the Green to the Colorado all the way. Could do this all day long. Thanks... very cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back