Installing new 36v terrova questions

Lance Cue

I am looking at installing a new terrova 112lb 36v w/ i pilot on my 240 searay sd. I'm looking for any input on components to use for a good setup as I've never had an electric trolling motor before. I'm definately not a fan of running a generator on the beach at night so charging is a major concern for me. I have been wanting to do this for a while now and have just seen this MK terrova 112 US2 w/ i pilot on sale. I do have the HB helix 7 g2n installed already. Any input is appreciated.

Upon further investigation it looks like I need the i pilot link to communicate with the helix. Quite a bit more cost to an already expensive unit goes with this. Do you guys that have this link setup really use it or is it just fancy bells and whistles?

Last edited:

Squirrel

Get the MK3-DC, by Minn Kota, on board charger. It will charge all 3 trolling motor batteries whenever the main engine is running. About $130.00 or so. I’ve never had an issue other than the first unit only lasted 3 years on a 2 year warranty. Still worth every penny. Sq
$146.00 on AMAZON

Last edited:

Littlesaltwash

Going thru the whole hook-up thing myself this winter. If you have I-pilot, all you should need to hook up to your g2n is the Ethernet adapter at around $30. I-pilot link has a few more bells and whistles than the I-pilot such as “follow a contour” or “circle a spot” etc. Customer support is great for HB and Minn kota. Lots of info on both sites and over the phone. Got the MK 3 DC last year on squirrel’s advice. Worked great, 2 banks to a 24v minn kota, and one bank to a dedicated electronics battery. Humminbird states you should NOT use the TM batteries for your electronics, use either the main battery or an alternate. HB also advises to run your TM wiring and your electronic wiring on opposite sides of the boat, or separated instead of bundled, to minimize/eliminate interference. Solder connections and heat shrink instead of crimping. If you have to run any “extra” distance for your TM, size your wire to 6 or 8 depending on distance. Humminbird and MK have good charts for wiring. You will probably need to get a 60 amp reset breaker for your TM leads. Your Helix 7 should have a 3 amp fuse.

Meatwagon

From what I understand the i link let's the auto pilot function follow a depth contour on its own by linking to the helix. Myself I simply use the lakemaster chip to steer along a depth contour. My tevvora was mounted at the dealership and has a 50 amp breaker switch. I had the quick release mount put on my setup and really like that feature when I need to put the cover on the boat for travel and storage. The US2 doesn't support down image or side image but works great as a standard sonar transducer.

Coho975

Get the MK3-DC, by Minn Kota, on board charger. It will charge all 3 trolling motor batteries whenever the main engine is running. About $130.00 or so. I’ve never had an issue other than the first unit only lasted 3 years on a 2 year warranty. Still worth every penny. Sq
$146.00 on AMAZON
Lance, X2 on this. Especially at LP where you are making longer runs, it keeps your batteries charged up nicely, so gen time is held to a minimum. Not sure if the new ones come with one or not but consider a plug and receptacle set-up in the bow (fused or breaker). They aren't cheap but the quick release brackets are really nice as well. Congrats on the new electric, cant imagine fishing without one now.

Lance Cue

Thank you all for the replies. Looks like the mk3 is a must have for me. The i link I think I can do without for the extra cost as this size of motor is expensive enough for me. It seams the most important feature of the i pilot is the spot lock. I can see this coming in very handy. As far as the us2 transducer, I believe it would be fine since I don't expect to add another finder since the one I have can rotated to be seen from anywhere in the boat and if I did add another down the road I think sonar would be just fine. I am so excited to get this setup and try it out as I have been daydreaming of using it and how it could change the game.

Littlesaltwash

Meatwagon, Lance Cue: I double checked the minn kota charting and the 112 motor has a max amp draw of 52, the 80 has a max amp draw of 56. ( minn kota advises the 60 amp reset ) These are not continuous draws but intermittent as in full power use in wind, current, or trying to get your buddy up on one ski:) I have no idea of how long in full power mode it would take to get to max draw. But, if one of those gentle LP breezes starts to push you up on the rocks or a whale you wouldn’t want to trip. The 112 only needs 8awg while the 80 could use 6awg in longer runs from the batteries to the TM leads.

Lance Cue

Well, I bit the bullet and bought new motor. I guess its game on from here and time to build a one of a kind custom mount for my boat!

GTH

I like your choice and the suggestions you've been given, we also charge while cruising, the only thing I might add is to not scrimp when choosing batteries. Last year we upgraded to agm true deep cycle and the difference is amazing. We typically go 30, 40 miles or more use the TM all day and charge coming and going and most of the time we don't even need to charge when we get home. Only down side is, of course the initial cost.

Lance Cue

I like your choice and the suggestions you've been given, we also charge while cruising, the only thing I might add is to not scrimp when choosing batteries. Last year we upgraded to agm true deep cycle and the difference is amazing. We typically go 30, 40 miles or more use the TM all day and charge coming and going and most of the time we don't even need to charge when we get home. Only down side is, of course the initial cost.
GTH, what group size and brand of agm did you go with? 30-40 miles of trolling seems great!

Meatwagon

Yeah it would, I troll for crappie with mine usually .9mph to 1.2mph which on a calm day is 3 to4.5 on it's power setting and can troll for 10 hrs and still have about 50 percent of the batteries left.

Meatwagon

Meatwagon, Lance Cue: I double checked the minn kota charting and the 112 motor has a max amp draw of 52, the 80 has a max amp draw of 56. ( minn kota advises the 60 amp reset ) These are not continuous draws but intermittent as in full power use in wind, current, or trying to get your buddy up on one ski:) I have no idea of how long in full power mode it would take to get to max draw. But, if one of those gentle LP breezes starts to push you up on the rocks or a whale you wouldn’t want to trip. The 112 only needs 8awg while the 80 could use 6awg in longer runs from the batteries to the TM leads.
After looking at my breaker today, I am not sure how many amps it is. I may have been thinking of the one in my old boat. Hopefully the installation instructions will have a recommendation for size.

GTH

Lance Cue, sorry about not being too clear, Meatwagon has it right. WE bought Vmax batteries 125 amp hours, but brand and size are certainly a personal decision, just giving a starting point to research. We've had these for a little over a year and couldn't be happier with them. Once we get to where we want to fish, we troll a little over 1 mph and depending on time of year about 5 or 6 hours every day, our normal trip is 3 days. We intend to stop and cast more than we have been, so that will save on the batteries even more.... Now that it's been brought up, Maybe sometime this year I'll try to see just how far we could go on just the TM.