I Phone Lake Map Charts?

BZeg

Does anyone have a good GPS app for IPhones for Lake Powell lake maps with contour lines/highlighting? I just want it for a back up for when we take out our cruiser boat. And maybe a second part to the question, what GPS could you recommend in about a 5“ or 7” screen if I choose to add a permanent GPS/depth finder. I’ve always had Lowrance but was leaning Garmin for this purchase because of the mapping being able to adjust to water levels. Thanks in advance, Bill

Gem Morris

The Navionics Boating app is good.

I’ve had Lowrance and Humminbird and now own Garmin. I bought the Garmin because it drives my autopilot. But honestly the Garmin is so complicated and has so many bells and whistles it’s hard to use.

BZeg

Which specific Navionics app? I looked at the App Store and most of them say they are no longer supported with updates. Does that matter?

LUVPILOT

I have a question along these lines. Can you use Lakemaster in the Hummingbird without the transducer? I'm wanting the water offset feature and wondering if that will work with just the gps off the Hummingbird. I'm considering getting one to use for my fishing kayak, and I would mount the transducer to that. But would I be able to use the unit for navigating the houseboat and or speedboat around the lake without the transducer (specifically using the water offset feature of the Lakemaster chip)? Or would a phone app achieve the same results?
Thanks,
Will

CHRIS MCBETH

Good deal. That’s the one I ended up getting. Thanks
When you start the day hit “Start” and it records everywhere you go. You can “play” it back later and the little icon actually drives around the lake replaying where you went. You can name and save the files allowing you to review a year later. It’s pretty cool.

Meatwagon

I have a question along these lines. Can you use Lakemaster in the Hummingbird without the transducer? I'm wanting the water offset feature and wondering if that will work with just the gps off the Hummingbird. I'm considering getting one to use for my fishing kayak, and I would mount the transducer to that. But would I be able to use the unit for navigating the houseboat and or speedboat around the lake without the transducer (specifically using the water offset feature of the Lakemaster chip)? Or would a phone app achieve the same results?
Thanks,
Will
You can use the lakemaster chip with out the transducer, it's an internal program that works with the internal GPS in the unit. The transducer gives you underwater reading. You will need to have it hooked up to a 12volt power supply before it will do either however. A little research might find a portable mount for a transducer that mounts to kayak if you decide to add that functionality to the unit as well.

Grant Stevens - USBR

Thanks,
Will

I use the "water offset" feature on my phone with the mobile app (Boating HD), and it works quite well. It doesn't necessary find the edge of the lake at a specific level very well, but what it does work very well for is avoiding shallow areas (belly's, dinosaurs, I forget what you guys call submerged rocks on this site.) :)

Very worth the 10 bucks...

LUVPILOT

You can use the lakemaster chip with out the transducer, it's an internal program that works with the internal GPS in the unit. The transducer gives you underwater reading. You will need to have it hooked up to a 12volt power supply before it will do either however. A little research might find a portable mount for a transducer that mounts to kayak if you decide to add that functionality to the unit as well.
Thank you... that was the information I was looking for.

LUVPILOT

I use the "water offset" feature on my phone with the mobile app (Boating HD), and it works quite well. It doesn't necessary find the edge of the lake at a specific level very well, but what it does work very well for is avoiding shallow areas (belly's, dinosaurs, I forget what you guys call submerged rocks on this site.) :)

Very worth the 10 bucks...
Thank you! Sounds like a viable cheaper option and definitely worth the $10.