I Made the Sacrifice - San Juan Report - 6/12 to 6/20

PowellBride

As a committed Wordling, I made the sacrifice last week to check out the risks on the SJ. I have to report that the San Juan is still dangerous – crocs and skin walkers still abound.

As always, the SJ was fabulous. Left Bullfrog early on the 12th and were anchored in Cha Bay before 3. The Rincon was a zoo when we went through the area. Boats, boats, houseboats, jets skis EVERYWHERE.

Saturday – Monday we had significant winds, especially in the afternoon. Put the onboard charger for the trolling motors to a test! Smallies were hitting in good numbers and good sized 10” + Saturday – Monday. We also caught a handful of LMB (7-“10”) from Cha Bay, Wilsons Creek and to just below the start of the Great Bend. Wind died down on Tuesday, but the bite seemed to slow down as well.

Calmer days Wednesday – Friday (Friday was a perfect Powell day), but fishing was slow and the fish we were catching were generally smaller. More of the 4” to 8” SMB.

Water was pretty green in most of Piute Bay, not a lot of debris, and what there was, was mostly smaller sticks. None of the prop monsters we see in better water years.

On Thursday we thought we found a slurp in Piute, but it turned out to be schools of carp feeding on the surface. I’d never seen anything like it before. There were 4 -5 schools of 12 – 20 carp all circling around on the surface over a 200-300-yard area. Some in shallow water, 1-2 feet, others in 16 feet or more.

We parked in the same spot we were in last September and our school of catfish was still hanging around. We spotted maybe 12 – 15 cats the first few days, by the time we left on Saturday there had to be 25 cats, ½ dozen carp and a handful of the bullheads all hanging around the houseboat.

We did notice a couple of donkeys who appeared a bit curious about the tent camp set up over the direction of Neshki.

Not a lot of traffic, maybe a dozen houseboats and 3 dozen boats/jet skis spotted over the week. The best news was that for the most part the monster wakeboard boats we encountered seemed to be respectful of their wakes and proximity to those fishing along the shoreline - much more than in the past.

Spent Sunday the 21st fishing the Rincon; had with mixed success with the SMB, no LMB. The Rincon was a ghost town compared to the previous week.

Attachments

TR.

As a committed Wordling, I made the sacrifice last week to check out the risks on the SJ. I have to report that the San Juan is still dangerous – crocs and skin walkers still abound.

As always, the SJ was fabulous. Left Bullfrog early on the 12th and were anchored in Cha Bay before 3. The Rincon was a zoo when we went through the area. Boats, boats, houseboats, jets skis EVERYWHERE.

Saturday – Monday we had significant winds, especially in the afternoon. Put the onboard charger for the trolling motors to a test! Smallies were hitting in good numbers and good sized 10” + Saturday – Monday. We also caught a handful of LMB (7-“10”) from Cha Bay, Wilsons Creek and to just below the start of the Great Bend. Wind died down on Tuesday, but the bite seemed to slow down as well.

Calmer days Wednesday – Friday (Friday was a perfect Powell day), but fishing was slow and the fish we were catching were generally smaller. More of the 4” to 8” SMB.

Water was pretty green in most of Piute Bay, not a lot of debris, and what there was, was mostly smaller sticks. None of the prop monsters we see in better water years.

On Thursday we thought we found a slurp in Piute, but it turned out to be schools of carp feeding on the surface. I’d never seen anything like it before. There were 4 -5 schools of 12 – 20 carp all circling around on the surface over a 200-300-yard area. Some in shallow water, 1-2 feet, others in 16 feet or more.

We parked in the same spot we were in last September and our school of catfish was still hanging around. We spotted maybe 12 – 15 cats the first few days, by the time we left on Saturday there had to be 25 cats, ½ dozen carp and a handful of the bullheads all hanging around the houseboat.

We did notice a couple of donkeys who appeared a bit curious about the tent camp set up over the direction of Neshki.

Not a lot of traffic, maybe a dozen houseboats and 3 dozen boats/jet skis spotted over the week. The best news was that for the most part the monster wakeboard boats we encountered seemed to be respectful of their wakes and proximity to those fishing along the shoreline - much more than in the past.

Spent Sunday the 21st fishing the Rincon; had with mixed success with the SMB, no LMB. The Rincon was a ghost town compared to the previous week.
I was scared for you just reading the report...

birdsnest

Waiting for Ryan to fess up. 7/1--7/10 heightened danger? Uh huh. He better not be fishing then.

Bill Sampson

Did you see much floating debris in the Great Bend area? I will be there in a few weeks. Thanks in advance.

PowellBride

We will just miss you. We plan to camp around Cha from July 17th - 24th. We've spend so much time fishing the bay from Piute to the start of the Great Bend we keep talking about taking the houseboat further up --- we figure it's an extra 1-1/2 hours travel time each way, and another 20+gallons of gas round trip. So far, we haven't ever gone beyond the cove where the hike to Peek-A-Boo arch starts.

Bill Sampson

We will just miss you. We plan to camp around Cha from July 17th - 24th. We've spend so much time fishing the bay from Piute to the start of the Great Bend we keep talking about taking the houseboat further up --- we figure it's an extra 1-1/2 hours travel time each way, and another 20+gallons of gas round trip. So far, we haven't ever gone beyond the cove where the hike to Peek-A-Boo arch starts.
As water skiers and wake boarders we kept finding ourselves in the bay just before Great Bend. A few years ago I finally made the decision to anchor close to the opening. Other than longer travel time and more gas, it has always been rewarding. I have never taken a houseboat into Great Bend, but I have seen them there.