Houseboat rentals at bullfrog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben johnson

Howdy Folks and fishing friends. We are anticipating renting a houseboat at Bullfrog for two weeks early May for two weeks. Can you give us an idea where to be able to pull the boat into the bank in Escalante. We want to be there for at least a week. Then we will start heading back north. Can you give us an idea which canyons to stay in on our way back to Bullfrog. How about fishing The San Juan. We will be towing an 18 ft Tracker for fishing. Also I have read from folks that the fresh water tanks on the rental houseboat are dirty. Can anyone elaborate on this. If this is the case I will make sure they clean our rental up befor we contract. How about the rest of the boat rentals. Are they clean. Thanks for your advice.

First, let me say that @JFRCalifornia has written about this at length over on TripAdvisor where he is a Destination Expert for Lake Powell -

My own experience, depending on water level, is that there's not much opportunity for docking a houseboat in the Escalante main channel. There are a few spots at the mouth on the Escalante, some outside the Escalante in the LP main channel, and some in the inner canyons of the Escalante. One of the most spectacular is past La Gorce Arch in Davis Gulch - and in early May you may have a shot at it. It has been occupied every time I've been there. There is one just before Cathedral in the Desert in Clear Creek Canyon and a couple of spots in Fifty-mile Canyon. Again, these all depend on water levels.

Which brings me to my next thought, these places are all far away from fuel and help. That's not a deal breaker, but needs to be considered and built into your plan. The San Juan, even more so. There are many San Juan aficionados here who can give you an idea of their fuel management plans.

As for places to stay between Escalante and Bullfrog, there are many. I'd probably shoot for the Rincon or Slick Rock. Iceberg is beautiful, but you usually have to go a long way in before finding a site. Annie's is hit and miss - there are only really two options and they only work at very specific water levels. You can always find something in Halls Creek Bay or even past the marina in Bullfrog Bay.

If you're worried about the rental houseboat water tank issue, just take bottled water for drinking. The tank water is fine for everything else.

Good luck!

First, let me say that @JFRCalifornia has written about this at length over on TripAdvisor where he is a Destination Expert for Lake Powell -

My own experience, depending on water level, is that there's not much opportunity for docking a houseboat in the Escalante main channel. There are a few spots at the mouth on the Escalante, some outside the Escalante in the LP main channel, and some in the inner canyons of the Escalante. One of the most spectacular is past La Gorce Arch in Davis Gulch - and in early May you may have a shot at it. It has been occupied every time I've been there. There is one just before Cathedral in the Desert in Clear Creek Canyon and a couple of spots in Fifty-mile Canyon. Again, these all depend on water levels.

Which brings me to my next thought, these places are all far away from fuel and help. That's not a deal breaker, but needs to be considered and built into your plan. The San Juan, even more so. There are many San Juan aficionados here who can give you an idea of their fuel management plans.

As for places to stay between Escalante and Bullfrog, there are many. I'd probably shoot for the Rincon or Slick Rock. Iceberg is beautiful, but you usually have to go a long way in before finding a site. Annie's is hit and miss - there are only really two options and they only work at very specific water levels. You can always find something in Halls Creek Bay or even past the marina in Bullfrog Bay.

If you're worried about the rental houseboat water tank issue, just take bottled water for drinking. The tank water is fine for everything else.

Good luck!
Thanks for your info and advice.

Good luck!
Thanks for the shout-out, Bart!! Yes, I write a lot on TA about Lake Powell, but I've got to say the level of knowledge about Lake Powell on the WaynesWords forum is humbling... super knowledgeable crowd here from many perspectives...

As to the houseboat sites in the Escalante, I agree with Bart's assessment. Not too many, especially on the main stem, but the best ones in the side canyons are choice. The one Bart mentions in Davis Gulch past LaGorce Arch is one of the best on the lake, but is only there if the lake is between 3605 and 3630... which in May it might be at the low end of that...

As for Fifty-Mile, if the lake is below 3605, you're going to be stuck getting past a giant sandbar blocking the whole passage about 0.8 miles from the mouth (which is also a good campsite), but above that lake level, there's a few good houseboat spots for another mile or 2 before it narrows too much.

Other side canyons have their own sites, but much depends on the lake level.

On the main stem of the Escalante, here's my past notes for the inventory of good houseboat campsites, depending on lake level:
  • One of the most reliable is right near the entrance on the right, about 0.4 miles in from the main channel, where a small beach may yield a site or two, especially at lake levels below 3610, when the beach grows longer, up to about 800 feet.
  • There is a possible beach site in the first cove on the right, about 0.75 miles in from the main channel, perhaps best between 3590 and 3610.
  • Rocky beaches line first inlet on right 1 mile in. The inlet is about a half mile long and 500 feet wide.
  • Small beaches are in second inlet on right 1.2 miles in from the main channel (0.4 miles long), across from the mouth of Indian Creek, which might be best at lake levels between 3620 and 3660. There is a site at the entrance on right, and potentially one at the very end.
  • There is a small, steep, rocky beach on left just before Clear Creek at most lake levels.
  • There is a 150-foot long rocky beach on left in the bay upstream from Clear Creek, west of an island about 1 mile past Clear Creek.
  • There are two poor rocky beaches on the left in the bay 1 mile past Fifty-Mile Canyon
  • There is a very marginal rocky beach in the bay on right 0.6 miles past Willow Gulch, and a 400-foot long rocky beach just after that.
  • Beaches near Garces Island and mouth of Explorer Canyon are possible at lake levels above 3620;
  • Beaches at the mouth of Fence Canyon are possible at lake levels above 3650.
  • Beaches 0.3-0.5 miles past Fence Canyon may be possible when the lake is near full.

Last edited:
Thanks for the shout-out, Bart!! Yes, I write a lot on TA about Lake Powell, but I've got to say the level of knowledge about Lake Powell on the WaynesWords forum is humbling... super knowledgeable crowd here from many perspectives...

As to the houseboat sites in the Escalante, I agree with Bart's assessment. Not too many, especially on the main stem, but the best ones in the side canyons are choice. The one Bart mentions in Davis Gulch past LaGorce Arch is one of the best on the lake, but is only there if the lake is between 3605 and 3630... which in May it might be at the low end of that...

As for Fifty-Mile, if the lake is below 3605, you're going to be stuck getting past a giant sandbar blocking the whole passage about 0.8 miles from the mouth (which is also a good campsite), but above that lake level, there's a few good houseboat spots for another mile or 2 before it narrows too much.

Other side canyons have their own sites, but much depends on the lake level.

On the main stem of the Escalante, here's my past notes for the inventory of good houseboat campsites, depending on lake level:
  • One of the most reliable is right near the entrance on the right, about 0.4 miles in from the main channel, where a small beach may yield a site or two, especially at lake levels below 3610, when the beach grows longer, up to about 800 feet.
  • There is a possible beach site in the first cove on the right, about 0.75 miles in from the main channel, perhaps best between 3590 and 3610.
  • Rocky beaches line first inlet on right 1 mile in. The inlet is about a half mile long and 500 feet wide.
  • Small beaches are in second inlet on right 1.2 miles in from the main channel (0.4 miles long), across from the mouth of Indian Creek, which might be best at lake levels between 3620 and 3660. There is a site at the entrance on right, and potentially one at the very end.
  • There is a small, steep, rocky beach on left just before Clear Creek at most lake levels.
  • There is a 150-foot long rocky beach on left in the bay upstream from Clear Creek, west of an island about 1 mile past Clear Creek.
  • There are two poor rocky beaches on the left in the bay 1 mile past Fifty-Mile Canyon
  • There is a very marginal rocky beach in the bay on right 0.6 miles past Willow Gulch, and a 400-foot long rocky beach just after that.
  • Beaches near Garces Island and mouth of Explorer Canyon are possible at lake levels above 3620;
  • Beaches at the mouth of Fence Canyon are possible at lake levels above 3650.
  • Beaches 0.3-0.5 miles past Fence Canyon may be possible when the lake is near full.
Thank you very much for your info and advice. Is there any phone service in Escalante or the other canyons for emergency services.

Thank you very much for your info and advice. Is there any phone service in Escalante or the other canyons for emergency services.

The tall walls in the Escalante make service basically non-existent. If you're on Verizon, there's full service in the main channel (sort of a large bay) down-lake near Hole in the Rock. I think other carriers might be available there also. It fades pretty quickly outside of that area. It returns again near the mouth of the San Juan for a bit.

Up-lake from the Escalante, you might get something in the bays near Rincon and Slick Rock. After that, it's pretty silent until you near Halls Crossing.

We sold cell phones and service plans back in the 90’s, analog would talk 50 +/- miles to a cell tower, every advancement decreased the distance and now it is way less than 1/2 that distance with digital. They can track you and control a lot with digital that they could not do with analog. 😉 sure was nice to be able to talk in a lot more places, especially when you live in the sticks. I do have pretty good service up the SJ in Piute.

It's tough for me to get completely away from work. I feel like I know most of the spots to get service. The entrance to Escalante is one of them. I usually get enough service that I can even download large files.

I hate to say anything good about the San Juan, but there is good service in a lot of places. Right at the mouth, as well as further upstream.

The tall walls in the Escalante make service basically non-existent. If you're on Verizon, there's full service in the main channel (sort of a large bay) down-lake near Hole in the Rock. I think other carriers might be available there also. It fades pretty quickly outside of that area. It returns again near the mouth of the San Juan for a bit.

Up-lake from the Escalante, you might get something in the bays near Rincon and Slick Rock. After that, it's pretty silent until you near Halls Crossing.
Thanks for you info. We have Verizon and also the jetpac for Internet. We could only try.

The knowledge on this site is amazing! We have some favorite sites we always check on. A few in the area you mention would be the small cove directly West (about 3/4 of a mile) from the mouth of Slick Rock (right where the channel turns south) it is far enough away from the main channel to limit waves but close enough to be able do early or late ski/board runs directly from the camp to the channel without disturbing neighbors.

There are also some great sites (depending on levels) on the west side if the channel down from that location as you head towards Iceberg. There is even a short “hidden” canyon that can have a site or two. There are some great coves (at the current levels) directly across from the “new spalls” just north of the mouth of Iceberg.
The key is to get out early to scout for camp sites. Water levels and other house boaters are what usually determine your location. 8:00 to 12:00 are the best times as house-boaters are pulling up anchors and heading to their next location.

Finding houseboat spots in Escalante anywhere near the entrance is difficult in my experience. We have tried three times over the years and never found an unoccupied spot in late September timeframe. There are some cool spots there however, maybe you will get lucky. We have found nice spots directly across from Hole in the Rock and that is not far away. Have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back