Hite Fishing Report

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Just got a great Hite report from an old friend. Launching at the primitive ramp is good. Water is 8-10 feet deep near the ramp and then it gets deeper in short order.

Stripers are slurping actively. The catch was 70 stripers per day. Unfortunately, stripers were thin. It will take a month of steady feeding before the stripers improve their girth. Expect healthy stripers in late August.

Bass fishing was good. A few crappie were caught.

Carp are going crazy jumping out of the water about a foot and grabbing dead mussels off the walls. Carp are not very smart. They apparently don't know that the live mussels are about 40 feet deep and they could really do well in deep water. But, I am glad that carp are feeding on mussels.

There is a lot of floating debris near the Horn. Drive carefully and water for flotsam.

Jack Herrin

You
Ditto on this. Our experience was the same. Clarity in the north end at least up to the horn isn’t an issue. Debris is everywhere though.

Hit slurps all over the north, only ran into a few small boils up against a couple banks. Full on boils were still not happening.
you left too soon Preston they were boiling ok today but the real boil were under the boat we caught close to 100 Stripers today between 11am and 1pm I would say almost half were not in good shape but we hope to do it again tomorrow

Dungee Fishing

Headed down to bite on Wednesday for a few days. Any pointers on the fishing.
As far as slurps go they weren’t as spooky as they were a little picky. I was getting more hook ups on a top water compared to Andrew deeper diving cranks until he switched. Cast in the direction they are heading ahead of where they’re feeding. Look more shorelines and in canyons as opposed to open channel. Hopefully by Wednesday they’re are full on boiling crazy and you won’t need this info. The top seemed ready to blow in the north.

I can’t speak to spooning, there are spooners on this forum who have landed on the moon, I’m taking my homemade glider to kitty hawk...

S. Rudy

You

you left too soon Preston they were boiling ok today but the real boil were under the boat we caught close to 100 Stripers today between 11am and 1pm I would say almost half were not in good shape but we hope to do it again tomorrow
Jack, How far up north are you fishing?

scubatim

We are in Red canyon the 3 of us got 81 today from 8 til 10 it was all top water lures after that started spoons we were done by 1:30 then had clean fish 😊
Hey Jack - were they boiling or just slurping?? What was the Viz?? Were are headed out Saturday - still debating North or South!!😀

scubatim

Great job - how about viz??? Are you fishin over by Castle Butte??? Around the horn into Striper alley? How is Ticaboo - camping???

Thanks for all the pointers! We had an excellent trip to good hope Bay Area last Thursday. The fishing was outstanding, yes the boils have begun.

Jack Herrin

Here is a more detail report from July 27th til Aug 1st. We fished every day in Red Canyon and just in front of Castle Butte, and also further back into Red Canyon. Could not fish any further north at that time because red mud line just north of Red Canyon at this time was too muddy. We would chase the slurps/boils until they would go down. Then I would check the Lowrance to see if any fish were staying under the boat. This worked well. If we did t see them on the lowrance then dropped 1 1/2 oz spoons to catch more. We found out that once we could get a spoon bite going that the Striper school would follow us even though the wind was pushing us. This was repeated over again and we had good success. Here is a pic of the Lowrance after the school has followed us from the 26 foot of water in front of Castle Butte out to the mount of Red Canyon. This was after we put several Stripers in the boat. The screen still shows them following us. It was good to meet TND and their Grandson Bobby fishing the area with us. Thanks Wayne for the Hite Report that sent us that way.

Hotwheels

Attachments

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Here is a more detail report from July 27th til Aug 1st. We fished every day in Red Canyon and just in front of Castle Butte, and also further back into Red Canyon. Could not fish any further north at that time because red mud line just north of Red Canyon at this time was too muddy. We would chase the slurps/boils until they would go down. Then I would check the Lowrance to see if any fish were staying under the boat. This worked well. If we did not see them on the lowrance then dropped 1 1/2 oz spoons to catch more. We found out that once we could get a spoon bite going that the Striper school would follow us even though the wind was pushing us. This was repeated over again and we had good success. Here is a pic of the Lowrance after the school has followed us from the 26 foot of water in front of Castle Butte out to the mount of Red Canyon. This was after we put several Stripers in the boat. The screen still shows them following us. It was good to meet TND and their Grandson Bobby fishing the area with us. Thanks Wayne for the Hite Report that sent us that way.

Hotwheels
Thanks to you for validating my reports by catching fish at Red Canyon and then reporting back. I really appreciate it. I wont be up that way until mid September. I need all the information I can get. Its a BIG lake!