Hiking above the lake to get the best overview

smoke

We are planning another Jetski/Camping trip to lake Powell early September.
we always hike into the canyon but this time we would like to add a hike to the top of the cliffs to have a good top view of the lake.
we planning to camp between Escalante and Anasazi, if we can find a good beach.!!!! last May we end up in Padre bay!!!!

we did the hike of hole in the rock and I was disappointed by the view at the top. may be we did not hike far enough. We also hike once on top of mountain sheep but did not find a way to go to the top. we only went to the first ridge. the view was still decent.

I know some of you have done some good hike and may have some good input.

Please do not bring Navajo mountain as, even this is on my bucket list, it is too long for a few hours hike.

FYI starting tonight I ll be abroad and won't be able to access the site till I return August 26.
but I ll read them when I will return.

thank you for your feed back

JFRCalifornia

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
I think the easiest place to get to the top on the whole lake is Hole in the Rock, and your best view there is to walk along the cliff top in either direction away from the cleft in the rock.

Other good places (north to south) would include Tapestry Wall, the slope across from the Rincon up the Waterpocket Fold (this is a good one, and not too hard, pretty spectacular). Maybe 9 miles north of the Escalante. You could also hike up the Rincon itself, a little more harrowing. If you're not feint of heart, you can take the narrow Black Trail up and out within the Escalante watershed between Clear Creek and Davis. Farther south, there's Dungeon Canyon--spectacular hike to the top, but brutally hot, sunny and long--probably a 12-mile round trip in the sun at these levels.

There are others, but that's my first thoughts...

VikingRanch

I’ve been up to the rim above Twilight. Was pretty impressive, but a long hike in a fairly tedious slot at this water level. I think you can get pretty high between Anasazi and Oak by going up the ridges to the south from just west of where Anasazi hits the channel, but I’ve never done it, just driven around it and thought about it.

tombon

Just up lake from the Hole in the Rock trail is Jack .ss Bench Trail. (The dot is an "a") (It's printed on maps but won't post on this site!)
The trail is a mild slope, no shade but great views! There are a number of miner's steps carved into the rock.going up ******* bench.jpg
This little bay is high and dry now but coming in from the south you'll see two small buttes away from the hillside. Just past the second butte you will find a way up. This is the only time you may have to use arms and legs on the hike. Once on the lip the trail heads off to the right. In 100 yards you should find the rather well carved steps curving gently to your left. There's many ways to get up to the top.
Once you're up top you can hike to the left and reach the top of the Hole in the Rock trail (less than a mile) if you have someone to pick you up. or scramble around and enjoy some great views!looking down lake.jpg
Navajo Mountain with the entrance to Cottonwood Canyon on the left (looking down lake). Hole in the Rock trail in the shadows on the right.
accross the lake.jpg
If you hike to the right at the top of Jack .ss Bench you get lots of great views.
accross the lake2.jpg
Looking east ish across the Main Channel.
escalante gorge.jpg
Turn around and here's the Escalante Gorge.henry mountians.jpg
Turn a little more and you get the Henry Mountains.
top of the rincon.jpg
Turn a little more and you get the top of the Rincon on the right and just to the left is the back side of the top of the Rincon Overlook hike.
There's lots of interesting terrain up there that you can spend hours exploring.
Unlike the Hole in the Rock, there's no parking lot at the top!

Jan Hertzen

I've hiked around Lake Powell a bit, and my favorite, most breath taking hike, is up to Peekaboo Arch about twenty miles up the San Juan. You begin on the west side of a big peninsula and switch back and forth up the first grade. The mesa is flat at that point until you enter a steep, rock filled gap. At the top of the gap it is smooth sailing until you happen upon the back side of Peekaboo arch. It is an amazing spot. Enjoy the photos!
01a Pointing at Peekaboo.jpg
800 feet up!

02a Z Map.jpg
About 20 miles up the San Juan Arm.

03a 170073.jpg
On top of the first mesa with the gap ahead.

04a 170076.jpg
The rocky gap.

05a 170078.jpg
Above the gap on on our way to Peekaboo.

06a 170086.jpg
We found it! You drop down into the bowl at the right, then enter through the door into the absolutely breathtaking cavern. That is Piute Bay in the distance.

07a 170094.jpg
What a view!

08a 170100.jpg
It's 800 feet straight down to the water, just behind us!

09a 170113.jpg
Foolish? Yes. Exhilarating? Absolutely!

smoke

Thank you JFR, viking, Jan and tombon. This is great info. I will search deeper upon mu return to the states.
thank you again

Bill Sampson

Escalante-Class Member
I've hiked around Lake Powell a bit, and my favorite, most breath taking hike, is up to Peekaboo Arch about twenty miles up the San Juan. You begin on the west side of a big peninsula and switch back and forth up the first grade. The mesa is flat at that point until you enter a steep, rock filled gap. At the top of the gap it is smooth sailing until you happen upon the back side of Peekaboo arch. It is an amazing spot. Enjoy the photos!
View attachment 19285
800 feet up!

View attachment 19286
About 20 miles up the San Juan Arm.

View attachment 19287
On top of the first mesa with the gap ahead.

View attachment 19288
The rocky gap.

View attachment 19289
Above the gap on on our way to Peekaboo.

View attachment 19290
We found it! You drop down into the bowl at the right, then enter through the door into the absolutely breathtaking cavern. That is Piute Bay in the distance.

View attachment 19291
What a view!

View attachment 19292
It's 800 feet straight down to the water, just behind us!

View attachment 19293
Foolish? Yes. Exhilarating? Absolutely!
I have done the Peek A Boo hike twice, and the views are awesome. I looked at the trail entry last year, and it was not easy. It may be more challenging this year at lower water levels.