Help with Down Riggers

cfulton

Some time ago there was a very good, long post with instructions and techniques for using down riggers. I could not find it through the search function but would sure like to read it again as we will have a boat with us during our Sept 23-29 houseboat trip that is outfitted with down riggers. None of us have used them before. Would appreciate any advise or input.
Chuck

Dworwood

They are pretty simple to use, the release is the part with a learning curve. There are some Utube videos that would probably make it click and once you use them fishing deep is easy. I could write lots on their use but really they are pretty easy. There are several on here that use them pretty exclusive for Powell. Don’t be afraid to try them!

Sawz

My first time using them this year. I watch a few youtube videos on my particular model. I caught on in a few minutes. you will get a system down pretty easy

Havalina

Just remember that there is a process to using them. I always give new guest old rods because they invariably Snap the tips off of at least one. It is just part of the learning curve. I use them exclusively and love them, for me they bring precision marksmanship to fishing. Once you get everything dialed in you can drag your lure inches above your target. If you have manual ones, you are going to get tired of cranking the weight up if you are fishing more than 30 feet deep. I will actually use them in 20 ft of water, because they let me get that precise.

I have never had a hundred fish day, but I consistently catch all species of fish on them from Pike to Yellowtail. I actually started drift fishing live sardines off the coast down in San Diego with them. You will want to record your depth and speed and watch your ball if it bounces off the bottom then you know your actual depth at that speed. Then you will also want to pay attenion on how deep your lure will dive. There are some trees in the back of halls creek that hold tons of walleye. I will take a walley diver that dives 20 ft and hook it up to my down rigger and drop the ball about 10 ft. Then drag the lure across the tops of the trees. Once you play around with them, they will become another great tool in your fishing tool box.

Kbass

I second what Havalina said. Basically you have a heavy weight attached to a cable on a cable reel. You let your lighter fishing line out 50 to 100 ft behind a moving boat and attach it to the heavy weight via a release clip. With the bail open, drop the weight to the desired depth, set the bail and reel in the slack. A good fish finder is necessary to target the fish. If a fish bites the line will release from the clip and the fight is on. A video will make this more meaningful along with practice. Good luck, go slow, watch for depth changes. And bad things happen if you hang up the big weight.

Ron McKinney

Some time ago there was a very good, long post with instructions and techniques for using down riggers. I could not find it through the search function but would sure like to read it again as we will have a boat with us during our Sept 23-29 houseboat trip that is outfitted with down riggers. None of us have used them before. Would appreciate any advise or input.
Chuck
JP Rig - Anchovy Slow Trolling - Kent Jorgensen Is this the one?

cfulton

No, I remember that post. The one I remember seeing was a long post with details of set up, operating tips, do/don'ts, lures, speeds, etc.. I've been on UTube and watched a number of those videos. Suspect we will get through the learning curve, just trying to move quicker through the mistake. Thanks for asking! Chuck

Ron McKinney

No, I remember that post. The one I remember seeing was a long post with details of set up, operating tips, do/don'ts, lures, speeds, etc.. I've been on UTube and watched a number of those videos. Suspect we will get through the learning curve, just trying to move quicker through the mistake. Thanks for asking! Chuck
Only one I remembered Chuck. Looks like a lot of guys are having success with them. I'm heading to the North end in a couple of days and will be dragging whatever I have in the box. I'll try and post how I do when we get back. I've used down riggers in the salt quite a bit, be a first time at Powell. I was hoping not to have to go North as I live near St. George and it's about twice as far on the highway for me.

cfulton

Ron,
Thanks, we start uplake on Wednesday next week...still uncertain what our destination will be. Sure appreciate the info help~ Chuck

Dorado

Just my 2 cents. I prefer Scotty or offshore downrigger releases the kind you pinch. Once you figure out a down trigger you'll seldom use any other method of trolling
I have to disagree. It is difficult to control the tension of the release with the pinch type releases. I have a bunch of different styles, but the Black's releases have an adjustable tensioner. They release with the same tension evey time. This lets you easily control the pressure needed with different presentations, and have an easily repeatable release tension for different species and rigs. With the pinch releases, I find there is too much variability between not enough tension for release where you miss fish, and too much tension and you are dragging fish around, and yanking on the rod to get it to release!

Just my 2 cents.....Most of my downrigger trolling is for Kokanee and Lake Trout....

Coho975

Chuck
Not sure which post you're referencing, but this one had some good info to get started. As with every technique, there are many ways to use them successfully. I think some ways just excel on different species and bodies of water, as opposed to being "wrong". Don't get intimidated, they're pretty simple to use.

Downrigger Blues

greyhackle

Something I have not seen mentioned downriggers have a drag like a fishing reel don't set it too tight I lost a ball at the Gorge once because I had it tightened down too tight I also hung one in a cliff at Lake Powell but got it free because my drag was set light so be careful where you run them