Helicopter

Bretina

Do they have to have a permit or ? To land a private helicopter along the banks at Lake Powell.
We had never seen it before on the north end. But one flew in and out several times over the 3 days we were down there. Landing by this houseboat.
19B2B84E-B301-4EAC-B03D-B31BB567D687.jpeg

Goblin

The book answer: Landing of aircraft on lands of GCNRA is prohibited.
Exception: The entire water surface of Lake Powell is an approved landing site
References:
Air Information Manual (AIM)
36 CFR § 7.70 Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.
36 CFR § 2.17 Aircraft and air delivery.

AIM 7-4-6. Flights Over Charted U.S. Wildlife Refuges, Parks, and Forest Service Areas
a.
The landing of aircraft is prohibited on lands or waters administered by the National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, or U.S. Forest Service without authorization from the respective agency.
Exceptions include:
When forced to land due to an emergency beyond the control of the operator;
2. At officially designated landing sites*; or
3. An approved official business of the Federal Government.
b. Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface of the following: National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Lakeshores, Recreation Areas and Scenic Riverways administered by the National Park Service, National Wildlife Refuges, Big Game Refuges, Game Ranges and Wildlife Ranges administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and Wilderness and Primitive areas administered by the U.S. Forest Service.

*36 CFR § 7.70 Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.
(a)Designated airstrips.
(1)
Wahweap, latitude 36°59′45″ N., longitude 111°30′45″ W.
(2) Bullfrog, latitude 37°33′00″ N., longitude 110°42′45″ W.
(3) Halls Crossing, latitude 37°28′10″ N., longitude 110°42′00″ W.
(4) Hite, latitude 37°53′30″ N., longitude 110°23′00″ W.
(5) Gordon Flats, latitude 38°10′30″ N., longitude 110°09′00″ W.
(6) The entire surface of Lake Powell, subject to the restrictions contained in § 2.17 of this chapter.

*36 CFR § 2.17 Aircraft and air delivery.
(a)
The following are prohibited:
(1) Operating or using aircraft on lands or waters other than at locations designated pursuant to special regulations.
(2) Where a water surface is designated pursuant to paragraph (a)(1) of this section, operating or using aircraft under power on the water within 500 feet of locations designated as swimming beaches, boat docks, piers, or ramps, except as otherwise designated.
(3) Delivering or retrieving a person or object by parachute, helicopter, or other airborne means, except in emergencies involving public safety or serious property loss, or pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit.

Opinion only: Landing on a boat on the water I believe is considered to be landing on the water and is acceptable.
LP_2002-Helicopter on Houseboat_800x600.jpg

FWIW
Goblin

catchnabuzz

I saw that chopper Monday morning north of moki parked just like in the picture. Was wondering if that was legal or not

PBR

I had a helicopter buzz us and then land next to a house boat in Scorup Canyon in 2017. It was there all weekend, then Sunday morning it flew over us headed south. An hour later the house boat was coming down the lake. If you can afford a helicopter the rules don't apply to you.

Meatwagon

That looks alot like the that was sitting on top of the house boat that has been posted on a different thread.

Leardriver

I bet if you looked up the definition of water surface, it includes some sort of description that includes a few feet up on shore, or anywhere that water used to be. So, maybe they got one of their skids damp and were technically at least close to legal. I am completely envious.

Michael Pyle

although illegal I really do not see the harm in landing on rock around the lake. I am sure its one of the those laws that are there but nobody is really enforcing it.

Unless someone can give me a good reason why it should not be done? I cant imagine a helicopter doing any more damage than a houseboat on the rocks.

Mike

Trix

although illegal I really do not see the harm in landing on rock around the lake. I am sure its one of the those laws that are there but nobody is really enforcing it.

Unless someone can give me a good reason why it should not be done? I cant imagine a helicopter doing any more damage than a houseboat on the rocks.

Mike
It might disturb an endangered insect or something.