has anyone had this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickbow shooter

We have a Lowrance LMS 527cDF iGPS fish finder. It will be working fine recording the depth and goes from say from 300 ft to 2 ft and continually flashes.
Eventually after maybe 5 minutes it will go back with the right readings. Does anyone experience this also. We have put a new transducer on but still does the same thing.
thanks ,Steve & Gena

ROSCOELAB

When I have had a lawrance do that I have had to clean the grounds and inspect the voltage. found that the main ground for the electronics had a voltage drop of 1v, so 12v on my positive wire was only 11 volts to the equipment, it would drop out.

jimco

I have a Lowrance 7HDI with similar issues. Sent the original unit back to them. The replacement unit had the same issue, not as frequent though. Both units felt like they were overheating - screen would get very hot. Usually had to turn it off and let it sit 5-20 minutes to cool. Sometimes had to unplug it completely for it to reset.

Complained again. They sent me a micro SD card that downloaded some updates and the unit works a lot better. Will still act up after 5-6 hours of constant use, but is bearable. Last I looked, they had some downloadable updates on their website.

Seems to happen less if I only use the chart screen when I'm traveling at high speed. I'm guessing some of the original programming accelerates processes in the CPU to the point it overheats the unit. The downloads change some of that.

Check out if there is an Update for your unit on their website that can be downloaded. Hope it helps and you can return the transducer.

PBH

I noticed this on my last trip with my Lowrance -- but it only happened while traveling fast, but not all the time. Whenever I would slow down (to fish) everything worked fine...

Coho975

Agreed, download the latest software updates. Check battery voltage and all connections. Lowrance will act up at low voltage and shut off at 10.6 volts. Low voltage=higher current=more heat.

HOLEINTHEWATERDAVE

HAD that issue with couple different units. I believe the big depth changes confuses them. seem to have the most problems around Dangling Rope and up lake. If we set in manual did not seem to have the problem. these were and are older units.

stickbow shooter

Thank you all for your input. I will check each one of the issues. Sounds like this is more common than I thought. I will definitely try to do the downloads because this is an older model. Thanks again and good luck to the next several weeks of great fishing!

dubob

Faulty electrical connections can play havoc with almost ALL the electronics on your boat. The environment you are operating in - high humidty in most cases - is detrimental to the mechanical components in your boat which includes all your electrical connections. Check and clean them as necessary on a regular basis - say, annually.

Also, its a good idea to check for software updates for all the sonar/GPS units you have installed on your boat at the beginning of each boating season and update when newer versions are available for your units.

I've been using Lowrance for 12 years now and have never had any issues. Proper installation, proper maintenance, and always using the latest version of the units software, will go a long way towards preventing problems regardless of which brand of marine electronics you use.

Good luck to you Stickbow, and have a great season this year.

gary miller

We have a Lowrance LMS 527cDF iGPS fish finder. It will be working fine recording the depth and goes from say from 300 ft to 2 ft and continually flashes.
Eventually after maybe 5 minutes it will go back with the right readings. Does anyone experience this also. We have put a new transducer on but still does the same thing.
thanks ,Steve & Gena
I have had this problem with lowrance & hummingbird- even when the onsreen voltage was fine- outside temp was definet factor- would turn off & let cool off- I found putting a " shade " over it helped- also had same thing when going from cruizing speed to trolling speed this usually cured itself-have had too many trips " ruined " this way- I have found to bring inside during off season helps depending on where you live- after 3 to 5 years I would plan on buying new unit because they wouldn't work right - a good idea is always have a spare along- oh yeah- bought a Garmin- no troubles!

dubob

outside temp was definet factor- would turn off & let cool off- I found putting a " shade " over it helped
Thanks Gary. I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. I generally fish with my top up with my unit always in the shade. I do recall on my old HDS 7, Gen 1 set that once or twice when I didn't put the top up early that the unit was giving me some erroneous indications. When the top went up and the unit cooled down a bit, the unit acted normal again. Those dark cases can get very hot in bright sunlight.

cfulton

I have seen this problem when trolling or drifting near a vertical wall. I think the reflections off the vertical wall while pinging the bottom confuse the computer. Chuck

Lake Bum

Chuck ~ I had the exact same problem years ago with Lowrance, I ended up getting frustrated, and going with a Humminbird, only to have a similar problem. Customer service is WAY better with Humminbird, and I spent some time on the phone with a tech from them, and he asked me to take a picture of my transom to send to him. I did that while on the phone with him, and he diagnosed my issue right then and there. I had a factory depth finder also mounted, that was basically crossing paths, inter-secting with my aftermarket transducer for the fish finder. I unhooked the factory depth finder, and on my next trip to the lake, I had zero issues...... Sometimes things are simpler than they seem :cool:

cfulton

Travis,
Thanks for the input and I'll double check but I believe I had my built in depth finder disconnected upon install of the Lowrance...but it's worth checking. Again thanks.
Chuck

Edward Gerdemann

HAD that issue with couple different units. I believe the big depth changes confuses them. seem to have the most problems around Dangling Rope and up lake. If we set in manual did not seem to have the problem. these were and are older units.
I've noticed similar problems when fishing areas of great depth changes as well. It usually clears up in a couple minutes. Sometimes turning the unit off and restarting it will take care of it.

Ed Gerdemann

gary miller

I don't think so-all brands are always improving-some of the problems stated here are older units- I like my Garmin but it was $$$- They make a similar model now that is comparable in price to the others- same old story- do you like Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks? On a different note- had a muskrat chew my xdcr cable while dockside camping on Yellowstone Lake! Ruined that trip- ALWAYS carry a spare!

Dorado

They all have their pluses and minuses. If you boat mostly at LP, the water level adjustment that Humminbird has makes the task simple. You can do something similar on the Lowrance units, but it is not as straightforward or easy to set up and follow. I have had both, currently have the Lowrance Elite 7ti touch screen, and I like it. My main issue with any of them is that they have so many options that I never find the time or effort to use!!!

birdsnest

My buddy has a lowrance elite ti and is having problems trying to figure out the water level adjustment. Where did you find that procedure? That is an invaluable feature and my son-in-law and I are trying to set up a 700 series humminbird which involves software updates prior to installing the lakemaster. Just got the lakemaster and it was missing the adapter. Curses. But all in all it does seem to be straightforward. Apparently the Lowrance, not so much.
They all have their pluses and minuses. If you boat mostly at LP, the water level adjustment that Humminbird has makes the task simple. You can do something similar on the Lowrance units, but it is not as straightforward or easy to set up and follow. I have had both, currently have the Lowrance Elite 7ti touch screen, and I like it. My main issue with any of them is that they have so many options that I never find the time or effort to use!!!

Dorado

I don't think you can actually adjust the water level, but you can do 2 things to help: One is to adjust the transducer offset (or something like that) that allows you to account for a deep keel (so you don't run aground), the other is to set the depth alarm, which will highlight everything at a certain depth. I never really got these figured out, because last year LP was almost exactly at the same level as when Navionics made their latest update, so it was nearly spot on. This year the lake is about 15 feet deeper.....

Status
Not open for further replies.