Has anyone else found mussels in Stripers belly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NM Basser

Over memorial day one of my stripers had zebra mussels in its belly and another had a large fresh water mussel. Anyone else finding them in their fish? Hopefully they are eating them!

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Yes I have found mussels in striper stomachs on a few occasions. The issue is that mussel shell has to be crushed so the tissue inside the shell can be digested. If the shell is still intact there will be no nutrition gained from eating mussels. Stripers also are sometimes not good at eating crayfish. They often grab at the crayfish -miss - and then eat a rock instead. I have found 13 sliver dollar size rocks in one striper stomach. Stripers need shad to be fed well. Without shad they are not obtaining the nutrition needed to remain in good health. We need to give them an introductory class in how to eat mussels and crush the shell. That would be a win-win situation for Lake Powell.

soggybottomboys

Gobies eat mussels - walleye eat gobies! Problem solved - has to be true, read it on the internet! Would probably have to have goby inspections upon leaving the lake....

Cliff

Gee, who was it that mentioned the Gobies in the Great Lakes a couple of years ago to help with the mussel problem there :) Seems the smallies eat the gobies and grow big there? :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.