Happy New Year and Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJohnson

Thanks, Wayne, and to EVERYONE who contributes to this great message board.

Exactly two years ago I was looking out the window at a foot of snow on the ground, bored out of my mind, and getting more depressed by the day. I knew I had to do something. So I started concentrating on the one thing I love to do, camping and fishing on Boulder Mountain. While searching Al Gore's interwebs I stumbled upon this message board a couple pages deep in a "fishing southern Utah" search. I started reading every thread and every morning I checked for new posts. (I've read everyone for the last two years.) Then I found the webcams. I'd leave them on screen while I was doing other things so I could watch and learn. I had never owned a boat and getting one had never crossed my mind. The more I learned and watched the more intrigued I became.

So this journey began. I researched every type of fishing boat, compared all the electronics and equipment over the next eight months. I started calling dealers in Oregon and Washington to see what kind of deals I could get on the boat I wanted. I had decided if I couldn't get the exact one I wanted I'd always wish I had waited. Then in October the one I wanted was delivered to a dealer in Oregon and I called the next day. Done deal. They would get it in line to get it rigged up. I packed up and went to Oregon to look at it and sign the paperwork. It was ready Christmas eve. (Thanks Santa) The weather last winter was so bad I couldn't get to Oregon to get the boat until the end of March. I took it to Yuba reservoir four times to learn how to drive it and get the break in hours on it before I changed the oil. I wanted it ready for Powell.

In May I was ready and I headed to Powell. The most excited I've been in I don't know how long. This last year has been the most fun I've ever had. Three trips to Lake Powell and one to Flaming Gorge. The picture in my profile is my very first night camped at the mouth of the Escalante. The next two nights I camped at Piute Bay. This year I'm going to Powell every chance I get. Hope to meet some of you. I'll be flying a Wayne's Words flag, stop by and say hello.

So, again, Thank You Wordlings, you helped change my life. I've never been happier. Now if I could just catch a fish.

RJ

It’s about time you joined the group! Welcome rjohnson. Nice looking boat too.

Note: We live a couple blocks from each other and we grew up together so I can give him some crap!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, you'll definitely catch fish at lake powell and we'll all look forward to hearing all about it when you do. That looks like an excellent boat for the lake as well.

Welcome aboard, looking forward to hearing your reports/updates.

And when ya can’t be on the lake, keep checking those webcams (when they’re working) and WW for your daily ‘fix’.

Welcome, great minds think alike, RJ. LOL. I have been looking at PacNW boats for over a year trying to decide on our “camper”. It seems to me that these types of boats might be the a new wave of tiny houseboats, suited to fishing the big rocky western reservoirs. The boss has given her OK.......after she is in her house(this Spring?🤞 ) Salt Lake has a boat show feb. 2-9 with Renaissance Marine Group represented by Precision out of Idaho. But, it looks like we will have to make a longer trip this Spring if we want to see Hewes, North River, or Boulton. (Unless someone knows differently about representation at the South Center show)

put my camper trailer on a barge
I've actually considered doing this. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and have worked out the possibilities in my head, but haven't put anything on paper(costs/designs). My version is a hinged-in the middle barge that is pushed by a fishing boat from the rear. I bought a 28' cabin cruiser 4 years ago, so the barge has taken a back seat in my mind/plans.

Welcome aboard, looking forward to hearing your reports/updates.

And when ya can’t be on the lake, keep checking those webcams (when they’re working) and WW for your daily ‘fix’.

Thank you. Ya, those webcams were the thing that got me hooked on going to Powell. About a month ago I was watching the Bullfrog ramp and up popped a coyote right in the middle of the boat ramp. What's the odds of that?

Welcome, great minds think alike, RJ. LOL. I have been looking at PacNW boats for over a year trying to decide on our “camper”. It seems to me that these types of boats might be the a new wave of tiny houseboats, suited to fishing the big rocky western reservoirs. The boss has given her OK.......after she is in her house(this Spring?🤞 ) Salt Lake has a boat show feb. 2-9 with Renaissance Marine Group represented by Precision out of Idaho. But, it looks like we will have to make a longer trip this Spring if we want to see Hewes, North River, or Boulton. (Unless someone knows differently about representation at the South Center show)

Thank you. It was a really long process for me. I'm an information junky and I had to research every single detail. I think I researched ten different aluminum boat companies. Don't rush your decision. I suggest just walking away from the process several times along the way so you don't get tunnel vision.

I've actually considered doing this. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and have worked out the possibilities in my head, but haven't put anything on paper(costs/designs). My version is a hinged-in the middle barge that is pushed by a fishing boat from the rear. I bought a 28' cabin cruiser 4 years ago, so the barge has taken a back seat in my mind/plans.

After my first trip to Powell I was considering knocking the axles out from under my camp trailer and putting it on top of an old pontoon boat. Pro tip, Powell has a way of altering your mind so I don't even take my musings seriously anymore.

Littlesaltwash, maybe after a year of talking about boats we can finally meet at the lake and you can spend some time on my TJ. There are getting to be more of these style boats around, each of my last three trips I have seen thunder jets on the water and had never seen one before this year at LP when I was there. They are all great boats and owners have helped me on this site on how to add “things” . Kokanee64 sent pictures of how he stows his anchor and “thunder jet” posted pictures of a custom enclosure. There are really great people on this site willing to help anyone asking question, rare in today’s world. Hope to see you at the lake!

Thanks, Dworwood, this spring at Powell. I found out today that thunderjet will be represented in Sandy feb. 5-9. I don’t know who the dealer is yet but will find out. Lisa is just as ready for a road trip to look at boats as I am.

Thanks, Dworwood, this spring at Powell. I found out today that thunderjet will be represented in Sandy feb. 5-9. I don’t know who the dealer is yet but will find out. Lisa is just as ready for a road trip to look at boats as I am.
They are near Pocatello in Chubbuck, I went there and looked at the boats for the first time. They had several boats at this last boat show in SLC to look at but talk to me before you put any money down!! Their name is rvsandboatsforless but remember what I said and call me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back