Halls Fuel - Probably Closed for the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowellBride

Unofficially I heard that Halls fuel dock is likely down until at least Labor Day. I'm told that instead of just repairing the fuel spill, Halls is moving forward with plans for a new fuel dock. I guess Halls was scheduled for a new fuel dock next year, (similar to Bullfrog), but have escalated the timeline to this year. Rather than just repair the spill, and then tear it out for the new dock next year. I understand the efficiency and cost savings for the fuel dock, but is sure is a HUGE inconvenience for those of us who use Halls.

Ryan

That is bad news. We filled up at Bullfrog on Saturday morning. There were probably 5 or 6 houseboats waiting to fuel, with 4 in the docks. Even had to wait to get in with my Malibu.

Not only the wait is bad, but Halls was the only place to get premium on the North end. And they charge $10/bottle of octane booster.....

Kevin G

That is bad news. We filled up at Bullfrog on Saturday morning. There were probably 5 or 6 houseboats waiting to fuel, with 4 in the docks. Even had to wait to get in with my Malibu.

Not only the wait is bad, but Halls was the only place to get premium on the North end. And they charge $10/bottle of octane booster.....
Unbelievable how the marinas are being ran this year. Almost seems like there's an agenda to get rid of the north lake marinas. Or at least consolidate Halls and Bullfrog. Something needs to change soon. Boaters like me are starting to question the expense and hassle. Maybe that's exactly what they want?

PowellBride

Unbelievable how the marinas are being ran this year. Almost seems like there's an agenda to get rid of the north lake marinas. Or at least consolidate Halls and Bullfrog. Something needs to change soon. Boaters like me are starting to question the expense and hassle. Maybe that's exactly what they want?
It's definitely crossed my mind that they are looking to justify consolidating the 2 marinas..... Hope I'm very, very wrong. Last year Halls and Bullfrog both ran out of gas on at least 1 occasion, same with propane....Having only 1 marina would be a bad, bad thing

Dale

Maybe the new Interior Secretary will pay attention to the money wasted on criminal enterprises like Aramark!

Regal95

This is certainly disappointing. Is there any fuel on land at Halls or close to Halls? We plan to launch there, make our way and see the sights down one side of the lake to Dangling Rope, refuel @ DR, and make our way back up the other side, and depart at Halls. If I can fuel before getting on the water, I can hopefully avoid the crowds at Bullforg.

Regal95

Looks like there is a Chevron @ the Halls Campgrounds and a Shell in Mexican Hat. So I think I'll top off at one of those. Anyone make that drive from Phoenix to Halls? I've only ever launched at Wahweap or Antelope, but we want to go further north this time, and it seems like driving to that end and then launching would be far more fuel efficient.

birdsnest

This fuel situation may encourage folks to load up fuel cans on their boats and refuel out of the cans exposing themselves to fuel transfer dangers, spilled fuel,etc. Not good. I worked for Aramark at the houseboat rental fleet from 1996- to 2006 and saw firsthand a general downslide in operations, from how employees were treated including housing issues to safety on the dock. I don't know much about after 2006 except my yearly houseboat trips out of stateline and to that subject I can add only that linens were stained, some with holes, the bedding was tattered and the general condition of the houseboats was pretty crappy. Two years ago one of my party slid into the dining room table and hooked his calf on a 3" screw that was used to secure a 1" piece of wood which exposed 2 inches of screw, tore his calf pretty bad. They took 50 dollars off the bill. Yahoo. This years trip the fridge froze our vegetables, again 50 dollars off. Don't really know what the problem is , probably greed. Wonder how much Aramark actually makes lakewide.and why doesn't another company outbid them to gain the contract. Could it be that the contract is not as lucrative as it seems. We always had a joke about Lake Powell being nothing more than a resort destination for the Aramark elite, being just a drop of money in the Aramark bucket. In other words, they maybe just don't care. This is only my opinion but I stick by it.
Time to contact Dept. of Interior about how poorly the concession is operating these days.
Time to contact Dept. of Interior about how poorly the concession is operating these days.

Ryan

Any suggestions on who to actually contact within the DOI? I sent an email to a general mailbox, will see where it goes.

This fuel situation may encourage folks to load up fuel cans on their boats and refuel out of the cans exposing themselves to fuel transfer dangers, spilled fuel,etc. Not good. I worked for Aramark at the houseboat rental fleet from 1996- to 2006 and saw firsthand a general downslide in operations, from how employees were treated including housing issues to safety on the dock. I don't know much about after 2006 except my yearly houseboat trips out of stateline and to that subject I can add only that linens were stained, some with holes, the bedding was tattered and the general condition of the houseboats was pretty crappy. Two years ago one of my party slid into the dining room table and hooked his calf on a 3" screw that was used to secure a 1" piece of wood which exposed 2 inches of screw, tore his calf pretty bad. They took 50 dollars off the bill. Yahoo. This years trip the fridge froze our vegetables, again 50 dollars off. Don't really know what the problem is , probably greed. Wonder how much Aramark actually makes lakewide.and why doesn't another company outbid them to gain the contract. Could it be that the contract is not as lucrative as it seems. We always had a joke about Lake Powell being nothing more than a resort destination for the Aramark elite, being just a drop of money in the Aramark bucket. In other words, they maybe just don't care. This is only my opinion but I stick by it.

I remember back in the early 80's my folks rented a houseboat and the fridge didn't work. Not sure if the marina knew it, and sent us out anyway, or if we contacted them after we got on the water, but either way they made it right. We were camped up the Escalante, and every morning a boat was sent to us with blocks of ice. I don't think you would get that level of service today.

I really wonder what the profitability is of the concession. Back in the 80's, we had to reserve a boat for a specific week a year in advance. And even then, there was a waiting list. I remember calling into the reservation office every day to see if anyone canceled so we could get the week we want.

Now, when we go to the lake, there are ALWAYS rental houseboats left in the marina. And last I looked, there were a number in dry dock of the boat ramp parking lot.

It seems to me that Aramark should be profitable. I think our slip fee is over $1000/month, and how many slips are there? 100? 200? And look at the rental fees for boats/houseboats. The high cost of a rental houseboat is what led me to purchasing into a partnership. I really don't understand why the level of service isn't higher, or why another company isn't interested in bidding on the contract.

Bill Sampson

According to Aramark, they are losing money running the lake concessions. I don't think the NPS can locate anyone else to bid on the contract to run the lake.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

We typically take the houseboat and fishing boat out for 2 - 3 week periods often going as far as Neskahi Wash on the San Juan Arm. For gas, we usually fill 25 5 gallon Red plastic containers and store them on the roof of the houseboat. As mentioned in prior posts, those containers are really a pain to transfer gas without spillage. About 8 or 9 years ago we started using a gas siphon system much like the one found at http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Specialty-Wonder-Pump-6-ft-Siphon-Hose-6-PMP6HD/203635079 We found that the transfer process was much easier and safer than using the spout that comes with the cans. We have been carrying gas like this since we got the houseboat in 2003 and have never had a problem with the storage part, only the transfer part, until we started using the siphon.

Steve Moore

The gentleman who runs Lake Mead Marines is interested in the Northlake facility. Hoping to get him up this fall for a look around. We told him our slip price, and were told his were about half o what Aramuck is

tombon

This is certainly disappointing. Is there any fuel on land at Halls or close to Halls? We plan to launch there, make our way and see the sights down one side of the lake to Dangling Rope, refuel @ DR, and make our way back up the other side, and depart at Halls. If I can fuel before getting on the water, I can hopefully avoid the crowds at Bullforg.
Cal Black Airport has ethanol free fuel for sale. It is located 10 miles from Halls on the road to Blanding. Last year the price was much lower than Aramark's on lake price and comparable to the price at the top store at Halls Campground. And, the people are friendly and service is great. Not sure about the phone number - the folks at Halls Marina should know. 435-684-7000

Status
Not open for further replies.