• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

GOODBYE FLOATY MCBOATFACE!

CHRIS MCBETH

After four years and 37 trips to Lake Powell we had to say goodbye to our boat due to circumstances stopping us from ever using it!

The past 8 months since our last trip have been a long string of unexpected deaths, unfortunate events, and our beloved Millie dog contracting terminal bladder cancer and unable to travel.

The used boat market is strong and we did get a fair price, but I must say we sold Floaty with a very heavy heart after so many great memories with friends, family, and Mother Nature.

Wayne, Bart, just wanted to say thanks for all your efforts on WW and all the grace you've shown Amy and I.

And thanks to all you other folks out there who have made WW such an amazing resource to learn and eventually give me a place to pass on those lessons learned.

Perhaps there’s a Floaty MCBOATFACE 3.0 in our future, and until then I’ll be enjoying everyone else’s fish stories!FE7C0ABB-81B6-4C8E-918B-681FB9060A0B.jpeg4B9CA7EE-5DDA-4F8D-9828-7BF7852733FF.jpeg0EB172B1-0E33-4AF1-87CA-C98E59701C41.jpegAD9E0AF7-7011-4FE2-9584-DD2F3A756EC3.jpeg574E9195-3499-4C9B-BBF8-B1E6C217DE13.jpeg51E80715-2D5A-44D8-88D7-8120B755006A.jpeg8DC422C4-D554-481D-B5F0-F182DA3819B9.jpeg41D1E314-EE49-4957-A9BA-C4950A71D960.jpeg8DF6A151-9404-4E01-8ECC-39C0927C5A8D.jpeg3BEEE26A-68C1-48D5-8527-6879C4423EFD.jpeg907C4AB8-CDBA-470C-873A-8153459B92FF.jpeg9210370C-93E0-4B0F-BA0B-2FBC482A6C90.jpegCF34B046-A4D0-4BDD-AD11-7A28C3388D78.jpeg032E7B1D-5F2B-4467-8836-E00986476A00.jpegA8D8571C-C60A-4CC9-9849-54B249841536.jpeg8A24C117-6A75-47AD-B697-AA9FDC20B185.jpegC8AF4259-F0BE-4C51-8A08-C2E12BDE983B.jpegD31907FB-BF30-43E7-91C6-CF83783ECB3B.jpeg

Dworwood

Thanks for all the great pictures and stories, I have really enjoyed them.I agree with TR, sorry for the hard times and I hope there is a 3.0 in the near future. Thanks again and god bless.
Dave

Bill Sampson

After four years and 37 trips to Lake Powell we had to say goodbye to our boat due to circumstances stopping us from ever using it!

The past 8 months since our last trip have been a long string of unexpected deaths, unfortunate events, and our beloved Millie dog contracting terminal bladder cancer and unable to travel.

The used boat market is strong and we did get a fair price, but I must say we sold Floaty with a very heavy heart after so many great memories with friends, family, and Mother Nature.

Wayne, Bart, just wanted to say thanks for all your efforts on WW and all the grace you've shown Amy and I.

And thanks to all you other folks out there who have made WW such an amazing resource to learn and eventually give me a place to pass on those lessons learned.

Perhaps there’s a Floaty MCBOATFACE 3.0 in our future, and until then I’ll be enjoying everyone else’s fish stories!View attachment 12762View attachment 12763View attachment 12764View attachment 12765View attachment 12766View attachment 12767View attachment 12768View attachment 12769View attachment 12770View attachment 12771View attachment 12772View attachment 12774View attachment 12775View attachment 12777View attachment 12778View attachment 12779View attachment 12780View attachment 12781
Take care Chris and family.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Here you go Chris! WG

Lake Powell fishing report
May 4, 2021​

Buy a fishing license

Chris McBeth with big striper
Lake elevation: 3,561 feet
Water temperatures: 60–66°F
The bad news is that Lake Powell is still declining. Inflowing water yesterday was 8,000 AC while the outflow was 21,000 AC. As the lake continues to fall, be aware that new boating hazards (rocks and shoals) will show up every day. If your boat is moving, look for hazards. You may find a new hazard in the same travel lane used on the previous day.

The good news is that the water temperature has increased into the 60s. Bass spawning has begun and will continue through the month of May. On my last fishing trip, we found bass holding on open-water rock islands. Male bass protect their nest (built in 3-5 feet of water) from other fish trying to eat their eggs and young fingerlings. If a fishing lure — like a Ned rig or Senko — lands near the nest, the guarding male will pick up the bait and remove it. These guardian fish are easy to catch and provide great entertainment for bass anglers. Return the male guardians so they can continue to protect their young. You can catch larger female bass in deeper water surrounding the visible bass nest.

Stripers spawn in May. They spawn on the surface at night when water temperature reaches 60 degrees. Healthy, mature fish are very active all night long and tend to rest during the day. Similarly sized stripers that did not develop eggs due to lack of food are constantly seeking more nutrition. Bait fishing is great for the immature fish, which have moved to the main channel and have been actively eating bait for the last month at the Dam, Buoy 3, Warm Creek Wall, Navajo Canyon and all the way uplake. The 60-degree spawning temperature tends to bring the two types of stripers together; both mature and immature fish migrate to their original spawning cove. Find a populated spawning cove using bait during the day and it may be possible to find larger, healthier spawning fish in the same cove at night. Target the larger stripers at night with shad-imitating lures and jigs.

If you are looking for the bass and striper hotspot with less turbulent travel, try Good Hope Bay to the Horn. The journey uplake still has hazards but driving in the middle of the main channel is safer than the backs of canyons. The distance is 23 miles from Bullfrog to the lower bay beginning at Buoy 118. The best recent report was from the Horn (Buoy 130). Trolling for stripers and walleye is excellent and bass fishing is great. It seems the water temperature is slightly warmer in the northern lake. I am sure bait would work for stripers up north as well.

Fishing is great at the mouth of Moki Canyon with anchovies. Stripers were visible in 26 feet of water along the north wall and were very cooperative while gathering in the anchovies. Smallmouth bass were hitting grubs, Mud Minnow Ned rigs or a Texas rig Senko in green pumpkin with red flakes along the west wall between Bullfrog and Moki.

If you like springtime bass and striper fishing, the time is now! The air temperature is warming and there is less wind forecast on weekdays. Unfortunately, the weekends have more wind in the forecast. The best news is the launch ramps at Bullfrog and Wahweap are still open and in operation.​

CHRIS MCBETH

Here you go Chris! WG

Lake Powell fishing report
May 4, 2021​

Buy a fishing license

Chris McBeth with big striper
Lake elevation: 3,561 feet
Water temperatures: 60–66°F
The bad news is that Lake Powell is still declining. Inflowing water yesterday was 8,000 AC while the outflow was 21,000 AC. As the lake continues to fall, be aware that new boating hazards (rocks and shoals) will show up every day. If your boat is moving, look for hazards. You may find a new hazard in the same travel lane used on the previous day.

The good news is that the water temperature has increased into the 60s. Bass spawning has begun and will continue through the month of May. On my last fishing trip, we found bass holding on open-water rock islands. Male bass protect their nest (built in 3-5 feet of water) from other fish trying to eat their eggs and young fingerlings. If a fishing lure — like a Ned rig or Senko — lands near the nest, the guarding male will pick up the bait and remove it. These guardian fish are easy to catch and provide great entertainment for bass anglers. Return the male guardians so they can continue to protect their young. You can catch larger female bass in deeper water surrounding the visible bass nest.

Stripers spawn in May. They spawn on the surface at night when water temperature reaches 60 degrees. Healthy, mature fish are very active all night long and tend to rest during the day. Similarly sized stripers that did not develop eggs due to lack of food are constantly seeking more nutrition. Bait fishing is great for the immature fish, which have moved to the main channel and have been actively eating bait for the last month at the Dam, Buoy 3, Warm Creek Wall, Navajo Canyon and all the way uplake. The 60-degree spawning temperature tends to bring the two types of stripers together; both mature and immature fish migrate to their original spawning cove. Find a populated spawning cove using bait during the day and it may be possible to find larger, healthier spawning fish in the same cove at night. Target the larger stripers at night with shad-imitating lures and jigs.

If you are looking for the bass and striper hotspot with less turbulent travel, try Good Hope Bay to the Horn. The journey uplake still has hazards but driving in the middle of the main channel is safer than the backs of canyons. The distance is 23 miles from Bullfrog to the lower bay beginning at Buoy 118. The best recent report was from the Horn (Buoy 130). Trolling for stripers and walleye is excellent and bass fishing is great. It seems the water temperature is slightly warmer in the northern lake. I am sure bait would work for stripers up north as well.

Fishing is great at the mouth of Moki Canyon with anchovies. Stripers were visible in 26 feet of water along the north wall and were very cooperative while gathering in the anchovies. Smallmouth bass were hitting grubs, Mud Minnow Ned rigs or a Texas rig Senko in green pumpkin with red flakes along the west wall between Bullfrog and Moki.

If you like springtime bass and striper fishing, the time is now! The air temperature is warming and there is less wind forecast on weekdays. Unfortunately, the weekends have more wind in the forecast. The best news is the launch ramps at Bullfrog and Wahweap are still open and in operation.​
That’s very cool Wayne! It was the biggest Striper I ever caught, right at the back of Navajo Canyon!