• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Good Hope September 26-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorado

Escalante-Class Member
I have never fished LP in the fall, lots of trips in the spring. My wife and I are going to drive down early Wednesday and run up to GHB to camp. The plan is to troll deep diving shad baits, looking for schools of stripers and hopefully spooning them up. Does anyone have any tips as to areas to target?

Dave Harper

Lance Cue

I have never fished LP in the fall, lots of trips in the spring. My wife and I are going to drive down early Wednesday and run up to GHB to camp. The plan is to troll deep diving shad baits, looking for schools of stripers and hopefully spooning them up. Does anyone have any tips as to areas to target?

Dave Harper

A buddy and I are heading down thursday evening after work to put on first thing friday morning and camped on the lake wherever we end up at the end of each day until sunday. We will be somewhere between BF and GHB. I try not to go with much of a plan but I assume we'll be up north sooner rather than later. If you see us feel free to stop us and bs. I should also have the radio on 16 if you want to hail. We will be in a searay 240 sundeck. Black stripe on boat, grey bimini and probably the only "fishing" boat with a wake board tower. Dont worry I don't have those killer speakers on the tower that so whole lake can listen to my terrible music, haha. Same goes for any other WW folks, I'd love to meet some of you and hopefully tell ya where we have been killen em!

Dorado

Escalante-Class Member
I am usually hunting in September, but with the freakish warm dry weather, and the wildfires, we were on our way from Bullfrog Wednesday morning. Got up to GHB around noon, and trolled up a few stripers, walleye and smallies before setting up camp. There was not another camper in Red Canyon. The fishing was OK, never great, but consistent. We basically caught everything in 20-25 FOW. Even though we were marking fish in deeper water, we could not get them to eat after hooking one or 2 fish. We tried spoons, flies on sinking lines, swimbaits and jigs, we could not get the striper schools going. We also went up to Trachyte, and found some fat stripers trolling the bank oposite 2-Mile canyon, along with a few fat walleye. But we would get 5-6 out of a school and they would dissapear.... Smallmouth were pretty much everywhere in the 15-25 foot depth, especially around rocky humps. We ended up with 3 dozen stripers, probably the same number of 13-14" smallmouth, and dozen walleye or so. Only at lake powell is that just OK fishing!!!
The weather was amazing, more like summer than fall, with 90 degree temps and calm winds until Saturday. We headed back toward Bullfrog on Saturday, the wind came up earlier than forecast and the drive back into the wind was a bit lumpy. Bullfrog was a mob of wakeboarders and pleasure boaters, still, we got a few more stripers, walleye and smallies before taking off the water at 5:00. The mussel check station was closed....
The only negatives about the trip was seeing the dense mussels, they are awful on some of the big rocks, makes you wonder what it looks like down in the water? They also repeatedly would cut you off with just the slightest tick, but as Wayne pointed out, we found our lures floating every single time that happened. Also, when we went to set up camp we found human feces recently left behind, right near the water line, not even buried....disgusting.
All in all a great trip, looks like we timed this trip perfectly!!!

Lance Cue

I am usually hunting in September, but with the freakish warm dry weather, and the wildfires, we were on our way from Bullfrog Wednesday morning. Got up to GHB around noon, and trolled up a few stripers, walleye and smallies before setting up camp. There was not another camper in Red Canyon. The fishing was OK, never great, but consistent. We basically caught everything in 20-25 FOW. Even though we were marking fish in deeper water, we could not get them to eat after hooking one or 2 fish. We tried spoons, flies on sinking lines, swimbaits and jigs, we could not get the striper schools going. We also went up to Trachyte, and found some fat stripers trolling the bank oposite 2-Mile canyon, along with a few fat walleye. But we would get 5-6 out of a school and they would dissapear.... Smallmouth were pretty much everywhere in the 15-25 foot depth, especially around rocky humps. We ended up with 3 dozen stripers, probably the same number of 13-14" smallmouth, and dozen walleye or so. Only at lake powell is that just OK fishing!!!
The weather was amazing, more like summer than fall, with 90 degree temps and calm winds until Saturday. We headed back toward Bullfrog on Saturday, the wind came up earlier than forecast and the drive back into the wind was a bit lumpy. Bullfrog was a mob of wakeboarders and pleasure boaters, still, we got a few more stripers, walleye and smallies before taking off the water at 5:00. The mussel check station was closed....
The only negatives about the trip was seeing the dense mussels, they are awful on some of the big rocks, makes you wonder what it looks like down in the water? They also repeatedly would cut you off with just the slightest tick, but as Wayne pointed out, we found our lures floating every single time that happened. Also, when we went to set up camp we found human feces recently left behind, right near the water line, not even buried....disgusting.
All in all a great trip, looks like we timed this trip perfectly!!!
Dorado, what were you using for the stripers? Trolling? We were in ghb on friday evening and saturday and couldn't hardly buy a striper bite. Only saw two small schools. Had our best success at dark and daylight up near trachyte. We only managed to spoon two and trolled the rest with an end result of an embarrasing 15 stripers and some smb in a little over 2 days of hard striper fishing from bullfrog bay to trachyte. Still had a great time trying!

Dorado

Escalante-Class Member
I was using a Cabela's 3.5" walleye diver, firetiger colored. My wife had a KVD 5XD, chartreuse sexy shad. They were bouncing bottom around 20' deep, 2.5-3.0 mph.

Were you camped in the north end of Red Canyon with another couple and someone who drove their truck in?

Lance Cue

Thanks for the info. We used similar lures at times, but were trolling at 3.5 most the time, might have been part of it. We threw most the takle box at em and they kept a few as well. That wasnt us at that camp. We were only beached in the dark and gone before daylight so probably wouldn't have seen us camped.

Status
Not open for further replies.