• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Good Hope Report 11-6-2021

Chris H

Drove from Grand Junction to launch at Bullfrog. Launched just as the bass tourny guys were about to head out. No issues besides 30 boats all stacked in the launch area at one time. No problems launching. Was told there is a shallow rock about 15' out from dock that they lost several props on (fortunately we did not find it).

Our plan was to fish for walleyes all day with bottom bouncers and spinner rig with nightcrawlers. We always talk about using bottom bouncers but never actually do.
Found a 10' - 25' flat on the leeward side of an island (on the north side of the area just when leaving the larger part of the bay for the horn). Put down first bottom bouncer and picked up nice striper in the first minute. To make a long story short, we stuck with using the bottom bouncers all day. Final count was 2 walleyes and 31 striper. Stripers were all in excellent condition (compared to the ones we picked up last weekend in Bullfrog bay). Found 2" shad in stomachs. So we still have no idea on how to catch fall walleye.20211106_111604.jpg

Water temp about 63 deg. Nice consistent breeze all day. Best fishing was in morning till about noon. Ran bottom bouncers about 1mph. Only ran into a few boats even with the bass tourny.

Another great day at Powell.

Flipper

Try crankbaits in that same area and see how you do. We catch a lot of walleyes pulling crankbaits in the fall. We use mostly flicker shad, 9's and 11's, but pretty much any that I have tried will work. I like the ones that actually look like something you would find in the water, and the purple shades. The wife likes the loud / flashy /clown colored ones, orange and pink etc. Shes usually catches her share. If you are not hitting the bottom often you will not catch as many. You need to have a good lure retriever, because you will get snagged. The walleyes will be just off of the edges of the flats. The striper are usually further off of the edge in 20+ feet of water

Chris H

Try crankbaits in that same area and see how you do. We catch a lot of walleyes pulling crankbaits in the fall. We use mostly flicker shad, 9's and 11's, but pretty much any that I have tried will work. I like the ones that actually look like something you would find in the water, and the purple shades. The wife likes the loud / flashy /clown colored ones, orange and pink etc. Shes usually catches her share. If you are not hitting the bottom often you will not catch as many. You need to have a good lure retriever, because you will get snagged. The walleyes will be just off of the edges of the flats. The striper are usually further off of the edge in 20+ feet of water
Flipper, thanks for the ideas. Will definitely try next trip. You are right in that the stripers were more prevalent farther off the edges in about 20-40' of water. The walleyes we did catch were in about 15' of water. Don't know if I can sneak another trip in this year or not. Keep Fishing!

Chris H

Nice... I think you found the same flat I fished a month ago. I just spot locked and spooned for as long as I cared to pull stripers up. Wolf packs were at large ! We had only caught 1 walleye as well...
Thought about stopping and spooning but we promised ourselves to bottom bounce the entire day no matter what. We thought we might get a few stripers but not what we planned. We would have our bait on the bottom in 10 - 15' of water and then if we wandered off the flat we would immediately get stripers. Really nice fat fish. Fillets were really nice.